The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Happy Sunday morning. Rained again yesterday morning (another inch) but the sun did come out for the afternoon. Today is a little cloudy so maybe there's a break in the rain. Not sure if I'll have too much time to spend in the garden... having lunch with a cousin I haven't seen in years and then my aunt needs a ride into town to do some shopping. Plus I'm meeting with the church's website guy after that.
    Still on the housework agenda... cleaning the fridge. Gonna see if I can get that done before lunch.

2. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Good Sunday to all.I liken our weather in the Iowa cornbelt to what Toni has in her part of Texas.This is turning into the worst drought I have seen.At least that I can remember.Farmers are sweating it. Hope they have crop insurance but that is a drop in the bucket to a good crop.
    sewNsow

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Good afternoon! More rain today. dr washed a couple loads of clothes this morning. We were running out of clean shirts as everytime we go outside we have to have a new shirt when we come back inside. It's easy to soak one with the humidity and the rain.
    So far the clothes have been hung up four times and taken down three. I hope they finally get dry before it starts to rain again.

dooley

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently 21°C and overcast. Today is my daughters 9th birthday :)
    I think it rained everywhere except here yesterday :( Hoping it rained at work so I don't have to have another day of dragging hoses around. Have a great day all!

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good Morning All, it sounds like another hot and dry week coming up.... I sure hope we get some rain soon. I water all day everyday. This is getting old and worrisome. The field crops are whithering as we watch. Baking bread today for a market tomorrow and them going out to weed and pull the last row of potatoes. That will be the last of the 50# bag I planted. Starting all over again. I think there may be enough time to get a second crop this year.

6. cherylad

Happy Monday evening. Only a few drizzles around here today. So I took full advantage of the sunshine. Fertilized fruit trees and stuff. Mowed my garden area, but didn't have enough time to do the edging. Starting to "smother" some grass, so layed out cardboard/newspaper/mulch. Gave the hummingbird feeders a good cleaning. Sat around and watched the butterflies, birds and hummingbirds to their thing.
    It felt so good to get all sweaty and dirty and spending time in my garden. I even got a little bit of a sunburn! :stew2:

7. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 20°C and breezy. Its still dark out ... I'm getting an extra early start this morning to avoid the heat. It may be the hottest day of the year with highs of 37°C expected. Still no rain :(

8. Annette

Annette Seedling

what an absolutely awful day, was already 80 degrees at 6 this morning!..(very unusual for my area). all watering done by 11 o'clock. back inside,and making banana bread (no nuts) for my sister-in-law who is at rehab this week (had knee replacement surgery last week)...trying to stay cool!

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Good day everyone, Today we walked around the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge in Wells, Maine. A cool breeze and plenty of shade made for a comfortable walk along the coastal salt marshes. Rachel Carson is considered by many to have raised awareness of man's impact on the environment through her many books, research and scientific articles thus providing the foundation to the environmental movement.

Jerry

10. cherylad

Happy Tuesday evening. Today started off with totally clear skies. When I left work this afternoon, Houston was getting drenched again. My office was right in the storms path. But there was only 1/8th of rain in the gauge here at the house. Tomorrow... more of the same is predicted.

11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It's a good night! We had a bit of rain around 5 pm but it's stopped now. We had a Writer's Guild meeting tonight. It was a fun meeting at a Mexican restaurant. Good food and good stories from everyone. I dislike driving home in the dark though. I have to watch closely for critters crossing the road. Tomorrow, shopping!

dooley

12. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 18°c and cloudy. Well, yesterdays heat was supposed to end with a thunderstorm. It never came. It is so dry here the trees are dropping leaves, the plants are shriveling, the corn fields are too. No chance of rain for at least a few more days. Ugh ... that means I still have to drag hoses at work all day AGAIN.

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. I have been under the weather the last few days and found out the hard way yesterday that you shouldn't take an antibiotic on an empty stomach. And that eating a piece of bread after taking the pill doesn't help at all. Wound up sleeping the afternoon away.

Got the triple digits coming back and the tiny puddle left by the 1/4th inch of rain the other day was quickly swallowed up by a flock of sparrows, so still hot and dry around here.

I am rethinking my gardens for next year. Really tired of having 3 months in the spring to garden then spending the next 5 months watching everything either die or go dormant...to be followed by 2 months of trying to salvage what I can in the garden, followed by 2 months of whatever winter weather we get.
    Many of the so called well adapted to heat and drought plants will be sent to foster homes and replaced with only natives. A Saguaro cactus would be perfect but even it isn't native here.

14. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Good Weds afternoon everyone,Temp om my pc says 101 ! We get up early ,take a walk & do garden stuff(mostly watering)until noon. Been hugging the shade even in the morning.Plants that like morning sun are not liking it in these temps.Have had to move lots to more cover.I have a lot of containers & it is good things are movable.I hung a curtain up to provide shade for a large tub that can't be moved. Worked well.Spruce tree used to give shade but it has lost too many needles to provide afternoon shade.
    Our tomatoes are 6ft tall & looking good.Only 1 watering
    Sunday & Mon evening.Took a long time to do it well.We have frozen some already.Plenty to eat.

As Toni said,I am rethinking our flower gardens.This hot,dry weather could be a trend & not just this season. What if we go into next spring with a huge moisture deficit.We won't quit gardening,just cut down.Since we are both past 70 it is time to cut back.
    sewNsow

15. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 12°C and cloudy. I had to wear a jacket when I walked the dog this morning ... first time in a while. Off to another day of dragging hoses ... are you all sick of my whining about the lack of rain yet? Have a good day all :)