The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Good morning everyone, yesterday the weather service was in a dither as I suppose they should be when nasty storms are in the area. All the hatches were battened down and the plants were braced for the worst. Each raindrop crashed to the ground with the expected vigor, driven by the wind that accompanied the cold front. Drops 1 thru 10823 did their best to make it look like a storm but drop 10824 and after were nowhere to be seen. The storm clouds continued their trek southward and the flowers put away their umbrellas, the rain gauge had no difficulty counting the drops, 7/100 of an inch. Today is much less humid and the morning temperature cooler but the flowers have again started their chanting "Water, water, water". The tomato is smiling, it knows it's first. :)

Jerry

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Happy Thursday morning. No rain yesterday so I had to use some water out of the rain barrel to water the stuff in containers. Today's weather should be a repeat... temps around 93F and 20% chance of rain. So pretty soon, I'll have to get back to my watering routine. But having the water hoses go on vacation for nearly two weeks sure was nice!
    And I had a great dumpster find this morning... a HUGE cardboard box. That's going to go a long way in killing out some of my grassy area!

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Good day all.Sorry I was adsent a few days.Twisted my right knee visit to the E.R.Dr.said sprained knee.then next night rode to College Station Med
    Cfnter.in an amblance with chest pains.No heart attack. thank God.I'm now home knee still hurt but will be ok.We have had rain 4 or 5 evenings in a row missed yesterday and so far today.
    Have a good evening everbody and a good night.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Friday morning all. Currently 13°C and still dark. I'm getting an early start to my day for an early start to my weekend. Still no rain so I'm dragging hoses again. Have a great day all :)

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Morning all. I'm going back to bed, someone wake me in October.

6. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 12°C and clear. It is quite "dewy" this morning, that is the most moisture my yard and gardens have seen in weeks! Housework, laundry and cleaning the pool are my jobs today. Have a great day all :)

7. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 20°C and sunny. Heading to a baby shower today. Cleaning this morning, what fun!
    Have a great day all!

8. cherylad

Happy Sunday morning. A little cloudy out, but not much of a chance for rain.... just like yesterday... temps near 100F.
    The mowing is done and I need to finish the weedeating/edging today. Layed out quite a bit of cardboard and mulch to smother some grass.
    Today... clean out the "trough fountain". And one of my aunts has some periwinkles she wants to thin out so I'll go over there and do that.

9. toni

Morning all. 112 yesterday at the semi-official weather reporting station less than a mile from my house. The official reporting station at D/FW International Airport had 107.

Yesterday was also pretty much our last chance of measurable rain until Sept. There could be little pop-up showers around like the last couple of days but those chances are getting smaller and since my yard hasn't benefited from any of those I will be adding more and more plants to the list those I will be eulogizing in the fall.

10. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Good Sun afternoon,went on a garden walk today in the city.I was amazed at the amount of watering being done.They must have huge water bills.I suppose if we had city water we might water more. We don't want to risk our well so we kind of pick & choose what to water. Going to have to start watering some young trees.Tomatoes are on the list for tonight.
    The plant I saw today that looked the worst was the hostas.
    They looked like mine do.Lots of scorched leaves. Just ugly but I don't think they will die.
    I've never seen anything like this drought.And I've gardened for a long time.
    sewNsow

11. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 18°C and still dark LOL Thunderstorms hit all around us yesterday, but all we got was 3 minutes of rain. Looks like I'm still dragging hoses today. Have a great day all!

12. cherylad

Happy Tuesday morning. There's been some rain in the area... just none at my house. So I'm settling back in to my watering routine. And my rain barrel is empty. :'(
    But since it was empty, I was able to get it out of the way so I could paint it's stand.
    This evening, I need to get the weeds out of the front flower bed.

13. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Good morning everyone, a rain shower producing .15 inches of rain passed through the area during the sleeping hours. While we could have used more, every little bit helps.

Jerry

14. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Good morning! We had about ten minutes worth of rain here yesterday. dr's shed roof doesn't leak so we are busy bringing our things from storage to fill the shed.
    It's building up for another afternoon shower.
    It's not much rain but it sure makes the weeds grow. Texas does grow big weeds.

dooley

15. toni

Morning all. Can't drag hoses until tomorrow, city ordinance says so :rolleyes: Will be watching huge thunderheads form all around us, cast a light shadow over the land late in the afternoon....after the temp has reached the 100+ mark of course...then disappear in time for the sun to give the land one more shot of it's blazing glory before the earth's horizon rises up to swallow it for the night.

Then tomorrow morning there will be repeat performance and again for many days following...without a single change in the script.

59 days until the astronomical beginning of Autumn and I can hardly wait. :smt026 :smt041 :smt038