The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Morning all. Another 106F day yesterday and repeating that today and tomorrow then down to 101 for a few days. ;)
    Not humid here but that is worse since dry air sucks moisture out of the plants and soil very quickly.

2. toni

Morning all. Our weather is stuck in a rut, 106 again yesterday, 106 predicted again for today, then the humidity goes up the temperature drops a couple of degrees but the heat index jumps up to around 5 degrees hotter than the actual temperature. It really is 'out of the frying pan, into the fire' around here.

Watering the front and back garden took about 6 hours yesterday, 2 in the morning and 4 after 6pm. Wanna bet that by this evening most of the plants will look like they were never touched by any of it. :rolleyes:

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

We're in a rut down here, too. But not as bad as what Toni is dealing with. We're holding steady around 96F, but the heat index makes it feel like 105. No rain in sight. Although there's action out in the Atlantic... maybe a tropical storm heading this way next week? Love the rain it would bring... but no destruction please.

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hello my hot, parched friends. I know that much of the U.S. is baking this summer.
    Yesterday our weather people gave us the info that July 2012 was our 7th hottest on record here in Nebraska. The average high temp was 97°F, although there were 11 days of 100° and above.
    It is the 2nd driest on record, which is the bad news. We only had 30/100" precipitation in the entire month of July! Ugh!
    There have been spotty thundershowers, but they are so hit and miss. One location will get a couple inches, and 50 miles either way, not a drop.
    I sure hope this trend changes soon.
    Its been a tough summer, especially for those of us who work outdoors.

Advertisement
  5. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Thurs afternoon.I'm in the same rut as you all.It is getting harder to get enough moisture to things. The soil is so dry that it immediately wicks the added water away.
    It is like we are in another climate.Ha , desert comes to mind!
    An old farmer friend stopped by yesterday. He showed us what their corn looks like. Small nubbins with only a few kernels.This man is 90 years old & sharp as can be. Goes to the farm every day to help his son. He said he remembers another year something like this.It was 1936.
    Of course,this years facts aren't tabulated yet.It may well be worse than 36.He said the fertilizers & chemicals & hybrid seed is a help & had that been available in 36 it wouldn't have been as bad.Then,too,we went into the year with adequate subsoil moisture.There may not be this subsoil moisture next spring. There is no rain in sight!Another warm,dry winter will be disastrous.
    Soo,I'm trying not to lament the loss of a few,or even a lot of ornamentals w hen farmers are having to sell off their stock because there is no pasture & hay for the winter.
    Just sayin
    sewNsow

6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Good day everyone, I have been removing all the telephone poles and associated wires from the middle of town over the past two days. A monumental task as 5 roads intersect there and it seems that everything runs through the middle of town..........but my computer and photoshop are up to the task and it is almost done. :)

Jerry

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Friday morning all. Currently 18°C. Yesterdays predicted rain did not happen, so hoping todays does. We had rain on Tuesday so at least it is a little bit moist. I agree with Kay ... it HAS been a trying year for those of us who work outside! I have shifted my work day and now start 2 hours earlier to avoid the heat. I have also noticed that plants are almost a month ahead ... fall plants are blooming already.
    Have a great day all :)

8. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. It's already hot and stuffy so it's going to be a hot one! Housework and laundry to do today...fun wow! Have a great day all!

9. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Good Sat afternoon.And it is indeed a good one. We got some rain. Not sure how much.Gauges give different totals.
    Not sure how that happens. But we got at least 1 &3/4 in.&
    more according to a couple gauges. Will have to listen to what news says.Sure was some loud thunder boomers. Dog hid under the bed.Hubby was going to call her out & I said let her be if she feels safe there.
    Canned more tomatoes this AM.Before rain it was hotter than Hades.
    sNs

10. LynnD

LynnD Seedling

We headed out in the camper for the weekend, brought 4 of the cbedford ats with us. Hot and humid, can barely stand to be outside.But we did, we went to Old Bedford Village, it's like stepping back in time a couple of centuries They had so many gorgeous plants and herbs, including huge Amaranth volunteers.

11. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 22°C and overcast. We had several thunderstorms overnight, not severe ones, and got some much needed rain. More in the forecast this morning, and the afternoon looks good. Headed off to celebrate family birthdays today. Have a great one all :)

12. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Good Sun. AM.Wow I have long sleeve shirt on.We did get nearly 3 ins of blessed rain!And wo all the strong winds folks nearby received.2.5 miles north of us got 6 inches in a short time(like half hour I'm guessing).
    I had been disgusted because I80 cement crew pumped the creek by us nearly dry & now there is plenty of water for all the wildlife.
    sNs

Netty likes this.
  13. toni

Good afternoon all. Hot and dry, a few clouds scurried by earlier on their way to points unknown and I think there are a few puffs of white in the sky but they all seem to be afraid of the evil daystar. They live in fear of being dissipated into oblivion by it's terrible wrath and are staying way off on the horizon in order to avoid even the appearance of trying to prevent it's death dealing rays from reaching all living things in the north Texas area, Bloody little cowards!!!

My back yard is officially toast, just can't keep anything alive when I can only water two days a week while trying to keep our monthly water bill payable. So Wednesday morning I will be outside before 6 a.m. pulling up the dead annuals out of the ground, dead herbs and flowers out of their pots and cutting the dried up perennials to the ground, soaking the ground as much as possible then covering everything with a really thick layer of shredded cedar mulch. At least the backyard ought to smell good until the sun bakes it dry. I am just tired of trying.

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Sounds really bad up there Toni. :'(
    I think your clouds headed south... oh boy... did they ever look threatening. And sounded threatening... rumbles and more rumbles. Did I stop watering? Hah! Not a chance. We did manage a few minutes of drizzle... not enough to even measure in the rain gauge. So, I've still got the hoses on drip and trying to give everything a good drink. One consolation... the temps have dropped from 100F+ down to upper 80s.

15. toni

Upper 80's?? For a high?? 102 as of now, we might only reach 99 on Wed.:rolleyes: