The Heatwave Came At The Wrong Time

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Well, nearly time to get some sleep, but I've spent a good hour checking out these wonderful beans. Spek is indeed bacon, and bonen bean. This makes no sense to me, so not much of a clue. The Latin name is Phaseolus vulgaris, and the varieties are many so it seems. These are french beans, and they climb. They are, evidently only half hardy, and can be cut down by cold wind as well as a frost. The longest ones in the bunch are known as ''yard long'' and are green. I found two yellow varieties called Rocquencourt and Neckergold, and four purple ones called Amethyst, Purple teepee, Violetto, and Cosse violet.
    I hope to pick at least one of these and try them out next season...... as long as I can be in charge of half (at least) of our new small tunnel.:scheming:

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is correct Odif. However, I do not know of a bean in english called, “baconbean”. A further investigation reveals that my purple spekboon is a sort called, “ Blauhilde”.

That is a decent-sized tom, Willow. It is a volunteer, but what sort is it…do you have any idea?

Tetters—I have been looking as well and cannot find a suitable translation. The literal translation I really do not recognise. The woman that I got the plantlets from now thinks that it is the Blauhilde. It is billed as a French climbing bean that originally came from Germany.

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

But all of the varieties come under ''Phaceolus vulgaris'' - does that simplify things......nah!

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Tetters— chortle. Precisely.

Advertisement
  5. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Aha!! I have the answer - it's all to do with a cowboy song - have a careful listen :D Bacon AND some beans.......

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Right, off to find some blue Hilda then......

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Haha.
    I knew there was an answer somewhere.
    Good luck with the Blauhildes. Their flavour suit my palate.
    I know that melody.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

16948809003596848373381730277704.jpg Picking raspberries....

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Very nice, Willow. Oh me, oh my!

10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Yes, Sjoerd, this is called, "Mr Stripey". I bought a plant last year and didn't think about saving seeds. I guess I have my chance this year. My son and his wife really like them. But until I had so many volunteers I was only going to have the black cherry tomatoes and one other. The other one didn't do much, I don't remember what it was. My older son gave me a gift card from some big name seed company for Christmas. I bought it through them.

A lot of people season beans with bacon over here. I have an aversion to pork, so I just do a vegetarian or put a handful in soup. But I've never heard of bacon beans, there's baked beans. Are Shel Silverstein books popular with kids over there? That's who wrote that song. My kids loved, "The Light in the Attic" book. Their favorite poem from it was "Sick".

Thunder just started!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I do not know that author that you old me about. Not all that many people over here read English language books for pleasure over here. I appreciate you telling me about that though.

Thanks for letting me know that tom was a Mr Stripey. I have not heard of that one.