The huge egg

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by carolyn, May 4, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Yes that's always something we don't know,.. how productive?,..until we set the eggs under a hen,..or a duck.

2. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Chuckle is what I also enjoyed the most!
    LOL...
    Poor, poor hen!
    Please let us know if you find more!

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well It's time for the update on the egg....

[​IMG]
    the huge egg update ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Cracking it... for supper ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    it's a double ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

There you are. The end of the story. It has become part of our supper.

cherylad and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Nice one Carolyn,
    we should have had a guessometer? :) ,..of course i would have gone for two yokes.
    When i had hens and ducks,..i was facinated to hear the hens snoring,..if i arrived late to lock up i would sneak in and listen, :rolleyes: ,..i know,..i know,..we all have our odd ways!.

Advertisement
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Two yokes, O.K!! A small percentage of the viewing membership may have been thinking triple. :) The city slicker side of me might show a little.......snoring....I did not know hens snored.

Jerry

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well Jerry, they make all kinds of strange noises. They growl and chatter, also. I have one sitting on a nest and she makes some very aggressive noises if you get close to her.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Philip, by the way... the eggs I sent to my sisters house hatched. She actually was VERY surprised she had 3 of them hatch out. if she brings me pictures I'll try to get them up. they were americauna eggs and a bantam hen hatched them out.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Thanks for the update Carolyn. I have been thinking about this egg since you posted it. A bit disappointed about the absence of a cow though :(

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sorrrrrry Frank She tried reallllllly hard to achieve that for you, but I guesss she thought it just wasn't possible :'(

Frank likes this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Americauna's,..the bearded hens!,..oh do post those pictures if your sister brings them to you,..there are a few members who keep fowl of one kind or another,..i may even start off again myself as the opportunity has risen,..oh someone gave me six Andalusian eggs,..they all hatched,..but they were all Cockerels,..the picture below showing them is non digital.

[​IMG]
    Andalusian Cockerels,..non digital picture. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That is such a big disappointment after all that time it take to get them mature enough to see which is which. I think the ratio really is 50/50 when hatching out chicks. I got 6 chicks from a neighbor kid last year and it was 3 hens and 3 roosters. You hit the jackpot with them all being roosters, if you were planning on roosters. They were nice looking roosters, though. I'm pretty sure your yard was noisy though!

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    the six roosters were a surprise,..i was hoping for mostly hens,..then one morning before they had a comb,..one started crowing,..it was a nice welcome as i had no roosters then,..but within days a second started crowing,..and so forth,..it was too much all six crowing trying to outdo the others,..in the end i traded them for Bantam hens,..as you know great for sitting on eggs.

I used to live on a Victorian Estate,..had a huge Organic Veg garden plus hens and ducks,..maintained the estate flowers and river and was allowed free reign to do as i wished,..since i left,..six years ago nobody has looked after the Estate,..i went visiting there last week and was invited to return to grow my own Veg,..start again with Fowl,..and of course maintain the garden,..still thinking about it!,..the Estate is 12 mile away!,..the offer has good points,..but dividing myself between home and the Estate??.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I was looking at your photo album with all the chickens in it when the notice of your reply popped up. What kind of hens were in your yard? did you eat the duck eggs?
    12 miles is quite a drive to maintain a garden. That would take me close to 1/2 hour of driving to get there. If you didn't have to stop anywhere maybe it would be doable, but still kind of time consuming for the driving part. It is sad to see a once nice garden go to rack and ruin, knowing how much work went into getting it to its prime.

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    all my hens were Rhode Island Reds.

[​IMG]
    Rhode Island Red. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

The Roosters were Black Andalusian.

[​IMG]
    Black Andalusians ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

and Light Sussex.

[​IMG]
    Light Sussex. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Most of my ducks were Aylsbury,..with a few Moscovy.

[​IMG]
    Aylsbury. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Moscovy. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

I ate as many eggs as was safe,..but sold most of the hen and duck eggs,..at one stage i had 24 hens,and 24 duck,..so lots of eggs on hand,..plus i sold the Organic Veg.

You are right about 12 mile to travel back and forth being too much,..if i only grow veg and do some gardening that would be fine,..but fowl?,..it would mean i would have to be on hand to lock them in at night and release them in the morning,..without fail,..hail rain or snow!,..i did keep them for about three months after i moved house,..it was a nightmare,..coming home after a long boat trip then driving 12 mile each way.

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The chicken pics are excellent, roosters are always beautiful with their showy colors. Thanks for sharing.
    That is a lot of back and forthing when there are animals involved.