The Seaweed Project

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh bother! I live five minutes' slow walk from the sea, and there's probably enough seaweed for the entire Stew, but I've never thought of using it in my garden. I've been thinking a bit and I remember my grandparents used seaweed on their potato patch. I seem to remember they also used it in the garden, but I can't be certain.

Now that I've read your post I'd best add seaweed collecting to my must-do list. I'll just bring the wheelbarrow, the trip there and back including the collecting might take me all of 15 minutes. Can I put it on next spring or do I have to wait until autumn again?

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Droopy-- Glad to hear that you are interested in seaweed. Put the seaweed on NOW! Don't wait. You can put it on anytime, it composts quickly. Since the sea is so close, put it on nice and thick.

Don't forget to add some to your compost bin.

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Went to the beach and there was not a strand of seaweed in sight but I found these with some cash!

[​IMG]
    Yummie! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    Delicious rock oysters.

[​IMG]
    Nice Size ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    They are large for local rock oysters.

[​IMG]
    Just Enough! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    There were not many so I bought all of them just enough for the both of us. Haven't seen these size rock oysters for a very long while and it was indeed a very pleasant mouth watering sight for me. According to the seller, they came mixed together with the mussels that he was selling from a neighbouring state.

Becky made oyster egg omelette with them and it was hmmmm ..... delicious. I think I should go to the beach more often to look for seaweeds! :D

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hahaha....KK, you are a funny dude. --You go for seaweed and come back with some nice, plump oysters.
    Yeah, I can picture you going to the beach more often now for sure.

Sila Menjamu Selera!

Advertisement
  5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great post sjoerd! we live too far away from the ocean to be able to get seaweed. but, when i was young and we lived on the Maine seacoast, i remember my mom and dad using it on our garden! how i miss the seafood we used to harvest...clams, crabs, lobsters...

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

oops, missed your post kk! what gorgeous pics! YUM!!!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Bunkie-- I'm glad that you liked the posting. That seaweed really is terrific stuff....and if you can't get it yourself on the coast commercial supplies in dry and liquid form do exist. Believe me it is worth it. I have used a tomato food made with it for years and I always get plenty of toms for all my needs.

Now that I have an auto I shall be hauling the real thing to the lottie as regularly as it washes-up.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

and sjoerd, how much do you charge per tubtrug? oh, i bet the 'shipping' would kill us! :D

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hahaha...Bunkie --yeah, the postal costs would be prohibitive. it weighs a ton when it's fresh. Once dried though, it's as light as a feather.
    But then, of course, the problem woulf be the customs authorities. chuckle.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Now? We've got snow and ice, no wheelbarrow weather at all. :D The compost bin will get it's fair share eventually, but at the moment I seem inclined to procrastinate for a couple of months. :D

12. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

seaweed

Those oyster shells have a lot to offer a garden also. You can crush them finely and they will give a little benefit for years plus help the soil texture, or you can burn them to powder and get all the lime and minerals at once.