The Work Must Go On

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Nov 12, 2010.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your posts are always so interesting and informative Sjoerd. :-D I'm sure you've whetted a few appetites for growing the veggies you have over there. I love seeing what you've grown and how it turns out.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Miz Daisy-- Thanks ...and I hope that pot of stew materializes for you.
    Sorry to hear about the rain there. I hope that it won't stay with you too long.

Thanks to you too Eileen--It was nice to get those jobs done. I'm glad that you enjoy the postings.

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great thread sjoerd! i love the pics of those gorgeous parsnips! they didn't germinate for me last yer, and i didn't get any planted this year. will have to make a bigger effort to put some in the garden next year. i may start them in homemade paper pots in the greenhouse to give them a head start.

as for the different roots on the toms, are you talking about the tap root and the hairy light feeders on the sides? great tutorial!

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello there, Bunkie--Thanks so much for your kind words. I was sorry to hear about your less than optilal results with your 'snips. I am crossing my fingers for you next year. They can be difficult to germinate, I have had some years when I had to seed them FOUR TIMES!
    If you use the seeding-in-paper-pots method, just try and get them into the ground before the roots reach the bottom of the cup. Perhaps root trainers would be better to use because they are deeper.

The different roots on the tom plants--yes, I am taliing about the hairy, fine roots and the thicker ones that are longer.

Advertisement
  5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

ahha sjoerd! i agree. the root trainers would be a much better idea! and i happen to hve some! :D

6. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh FLuff

You work so very hard. I feel so totally lazy when I compare my days to yours.
    Great tomato growing ideas. I have two tomato plants that came up between my Agapanthus and I think that I should try out the Sjoerd treatment to see how they will react.
    I am not actively growing any tomatoes (or any veggies for that matter) at the moment because of the renovating activities, but the Sjoerd treatment must get a try.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good luck with those 'snips, BUNKIE.

Naww PALMPIE--you work plenty hard. I hope your tom try works for you. Do take pics one way or the other.

8. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Now I am so upset with builders

Santa - please give builders a gardener's conscience!!

Look at what my Sjoerd treated tomato plants suffered.

[​IMG]
    Damaged tomato plants ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Trampled tomato plant ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

They just do not care, THey walk all over things and tramp anything down. :-x

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Palmpje, when I said to take pics, I had no idea that it would be of this sad state of affairs,
    What is wrong with those guys. Perhaps they need to go and visit the ophthalmologist....or would the the psychiatrist be more indicated in this instance? ;) chuckle.

Well, either way--it is a shame that they couild not have taken more care. Could you construct some sort of fence-like structure?

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

oh man, that's so sad palm! can you possibly complain and get some sort of compensation? the pics are evidence now!

11. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I wish I could complain - but they all hear me, but no one listens, really. :rolleyes:

Here Let me show you "to some extent" the damages so far.

[​IMG]
    Daisy damages ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

Here snoopy points out the damages to me:

[​IMG]
    Snoopy pointing out damage to the Daisies ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

See even he looks sad because he loves 'hunting' little geckoes and lizards that hide in that clump of daisies. Just look behind Snoopy - my rooftiles.
    You cannot imagine the damages I will probably still have to face.
    I think I must start a thread to update the stewbies on how the house is progressing - while my garden is regressing.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good idea, Palmpie--I would like to see how it's going.
    I was not pleased at seeing the careless footprints on your trampled plants. Snoopy is cute to help show you the evidence. I saw that one place was next to what looked like a footpath. What did the workers think THAT was for!? :eek: