These are wildflowers, also called weeds!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dooley, Sep 20, 2011.

1. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Well, weed it might be...but it is also beautiful. Anything like it here is also white and plain, as others have mentioned before me...if I had these beauties I probably would leave in place. Does anyone know if it is a member of the morning glory family, and even more important, can it cross with my morning glories and cause my collected seed to yield disappointing results?

2. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Both the large white and smaller pink flowered Bindweeds (to me there is a mild Almond scent) are really lovely flowers but as stated they are so so invasive they have to go. There is also cultivated well behaved varieties of Convolvulus - some gems in fact.
    I have over the years attempted to clear patches of this digging up yards of white root but every time although sieving the soil it always reappeared - just the tiniest piece of root missed will get it going again. Comes within the joys of gardening - the rough with the smooth - insects love those plants flowers so they are not all bad.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

It looks like an Ipomoea to me, maybe I. cordatotriloba. Are you able to add a pic of the foliage?

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Advertisement