Transplanting tomatoes, can I remove them from starter pots?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fish_4_all, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

That depends on what you are going to use !! Different fertilizers require different timing !! Commercial fertilizer can be done three times during a growing season !! Liquid or fish emulsions can be done weekly at half strength while young and full strength as they grow !! Manure or compost type can be used as a top dressing almost anytime during growth and lightly dug in !!

2. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Watch the manure stuff.
    UIse that an you get all greenery an not tomatoes

Miracle gro is safe.

b

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Horse manure as long as its dry is safe,,cow manure really needs to be composted a bit because of moisture content !! Rabbit manure and chicken manure are high nitrogen and does give more green leaf growth and can burn if not composted well and kept away from plant roots !! I have eight horses and have used horse manure for years without problems !! I have used it straight to start seedlings in with no excessive leaf growth and no burn !! Just be careful with the high nitrogen manures if you use them !!

4. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

We let our cow manure compose a few years.
    Thats the best, in the east. :D

Advertisement
  5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Seed

I buy bulk soil that is composted leaves/twigs bark horse manure and topsoil ground up in a big machine. It works great. I have used it for several years now. I tried the straight horse manure one time and I got all kinds of things growing in the dirt around it besides my plants. apparently the manure was shoveled with the stall bedding that still had feed seeds in it. That was a nightmare getting rid of.

6. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Puttin on fresh is asking for trouble in any of the compose.

7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

how are the toms doing fish 4 all?

i put mine into bigger pots this weekend.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

LOL I know that can be a problem and it happened to me one year !! I had a heck of a crop of oats !! So I changed feeds to a pelleted feed that has no whole grains in it !! Everything is ground up and no more problems !! That was my lesson learned !!

9. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Danjensen, my toms are doing great. Moved my first one to a 5 gallon bucket 2 days ago. Buried it deep and it is doing fine outside with this cloudy weather we have right now. I hope it survives when things get warmer. I am going to get 2-3 more 5 gallon buckets planted today or tomorrow hopefully, 1 ore large variety and 2 cherry types. The rest will go in smaller buckets as I have not been able to acquire enough 5 gallon buckets yet but still hopeful.

As for the comost with composted manure it seems to be working well so far. I do have a lot of greenery but need that for healthy toms later. WIll be using Osmocote in the soil with bone meal and using Miracle grow for fertlizing regularly. Hopefully again, this leads to lots of really big tomatoes and tons of cherries.

Now I just need to figure out what type of trellis/cage I am gonna build for them.

10. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

very nice,
    i think i did too many seedlings as i have 45 :eek:

got a bit carried away. Currently have toms on every window sill :)

Going with sungolds for cherrys were great last year.

got two big toms planned big beef and a heirloom

also got couple of plum toms for paste.

will probably end up with 20 plants.

Last year I used wire plant frames which worked well.

looks like an upside down wire cone. will be using them again for the cherrys

for the big toms I have rigged up a top rope about 6ft high. and plan to run string from it to the ground by the tom and use it for support. should give better support to the heavier varieties.

11. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Doing sweet 100's, sweet million, Cylon, new big dwarf, early wonder, brandywine and a couple others, gonna see what does best here.

Can you explain what you mean by using the ropes? I have thought about using the netting I have to build a trellis for the indetermenant ones and use cages for the determinant ones. Will just have to see, giving them more support as they need it won't be too hard to do.

I think the new big dwarf, early wonder, sweet 100 and cylon will be the ones I concentrate on. Lots of little ones with some huge monsters ones for burgers and serving sliced will be more than enough. That is assuming I get them to grow and ripen at all.

12. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I clicked on the URL, but there was no video. I sure would like to see it.