Tropical garden in NY

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by flowie, Jul 13, 2006.

1. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

This is a dream Garden for me .

2. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I love it too! I used to put the tropicals on my deck, but haven't in several years. Now, maybe I'll have to again....hmmm....more projects to do! :)

3. flowie

flowie Seedling

Thanks! Projects are never done in my house.. but thats ok.. cause thats what we love right? Projects and watching things grow :setc_072:

4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I have a question though. The reason I stopped doing the deck tropicals was the full sun. I have an umbrella that provides some shade, but the deck really is in full sun. What can survive out there in a pot that's a tropical? All the tags say "home temp 70º & indirect light". It gets to 100º here often.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Tropical plants are native to the area of the world further south than the majority of the U.S., southern Texas and Florida can grow tropicals with no problems and their temps are 90's. There are many palms and some other tropicals growing in north Texas in full sun with temps into the 100+ range with no problems....it's the winter temps below 70 that kill them unless they are wrapped.

The temp in the tropics is very seldom below 70 degrees, so home temp 70 would mean that the temp must not be lower than 70. Indirect sun would mean that they should not be placed in a window where the heat of the sun is magnified coming thru the glass.
    On your patio with morning sun and an umbrella for the hottest afternoon sun should not be a problem.

The amount of full sun would be determined by what the plant is. You probably can find out more by doing a google search for each plant.

6. flowie

flowie Seedling

my deck is SO hot you could melt.... its really intense. it startes from about 9am till about 2 of bright intense sun.. and i have a bunch of different palms on there, 4 banana trees, a lemon, a kumquat, and orange, 2 hibiscus and 2 pineapple plants. they all are growing like mad so i think they like it!
    i also have crocus and cannas in full sun as well... so i guess it depends on what type of tropical plant you mean. they sell some "tropical houseplans" that cant take that much intense heat (like a corn plant or a snake plant) i have both of these in the house near the windows and they do fine.

7. SgtBaldy

SgtBaldy New Seed

That is great stuff. With that landscaping it looks like you could be my neighbor rather than living in NY.

8. flowie

flowie Seedling

HAHAHAH thats what my husband is trying to recreate.... FLORIDA in NY :D

9. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Very nice!! Lots and lots of thumbs up!! I know it most really be lots of hard work to keep everything in good shape!!

10. flowie

flowie Seedling

oh boy. its constant feeding and watering and picking dead stuff off... but its nice and worth it...
    bringing the palsm to the nuseries in the cold weather.. THATS a nightmare.. these things weigh at least 400 lbs if not more.... its nuts! thank god for the handtruck :D

11. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Heres the thing about tropicals...you can grow most that say no direct light, in full sun IF you keep the well watered. Most tropicals are hungry feeders so if it rains an inch and you dont water it the next day, you can start seeing problems.

That goes for every last one of my tropicals. All my elephant ears and banana trees are in the full sun. If they are in the harsh afternoon sun, you need to water them ALOT. The heat cause all tropicals to just racing up. They grow super fast in the heat.

With it gettting so hot (104 yesterday) I am having to drown my tropicals everyother day.

The rule of thumb I work by with my tropicals,

The hotter it gets, the faster they grow, the more they eat.

12. flowie

flowie Seedling

i know. the bananas here are being watered twice a day. i can only imagine what its like in Texas. this heat is oppressive :eek: were not used to it as much here