Tulips On A Sunny Day

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, May 2, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd, I am beginning to think you are getting the weather we had last year...WOW! that took a long time to get there, too.

I am feeling sorry for you though. I EMPATHIZE! We had rain, rain, rain and then some more, for a whole year :eek: and the Texans all got dry, dry, dry and then some more dry :eek: Too bad we can't order specifically what we need, huh?
    I hope it clears up for you soon. If you want a working vacation please feel free to come garden over here. I have lots to get done... We did plant 26 tomatoes on monday and 200 strawberries a couple weeks ago.

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn--Wow! 26 tomatoes & 200 strawberries! That is backbreaking work.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAYUGA--Tulips will last for many years for you if you dig them up and store them properly over the winter. I never do that and I just let them go on and on until one year they do not come back up...then I get a few more.
    I just do not like taking up roots or bulbs each year (I have enough to do without that hassle)...and then there is the matter of finding a place to store them all.
    I used to take up my dahlia's eash year and one year I left them in the ground and just laid the dead stalks flat over the top of the soil where they were planted--they did fine. In the end, I dug them up and gave them all away.
    I don't know why I got off on this tangent. Sorry.

CAROLYN--Yes, you may well be right, miss. I recall all the rain that you had, and I was concerned about soil erosion there.
    It sure would be handy if we could order-up weather as we needed. Boy, wouldn't that solve a lot of problems.

What a great offer--to come over there and have a working vacation. Hahaha. Actually, it would be nice because you ave so much acerage and you do interesting farming, and have such cool equipment.....and the market stalls--Gadzooks!--Why, I'd be in heaven. :)

Tomorrow we are supposed to get some dry weather, so I will go out to the lottie and see what I can do.
    I have planted the last of the spuds and the second wave of broad beans.
    It's still too cold for French beans, sweet corn, cukes, courgettes and the like.
    The beets and peas are coming along...but just barely. It's pretty dreadful here. :-s
    At least my strawbs are blooming like crazy.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    All the photos are great, but I like the pic of your garden best. Thanks for the tour of the tulip farm :stew1:

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Awwww--thank you Jewell, so very much, for that sweet comment. Glad that you enjoyed the visit to the tulip farm, it was an eye-opener for me as well.