Wake up USDA

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by jbest123, Dec 17, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

John, I can't make enough broccoli for my family. The trick to getting them to eat it is to drizzle it with HONEY. give it a try. It is fabulous. And only eat what you grow. It tastes so much better just from the garden.

2. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

I use honey in my cereal but honey on broccoli, that just doesn't sound good. The next time DW makes broccoli I will dip one piece to try it though. :rolleyes:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yeah, I know it sounds odd, but I must have used honey on something for dinner that night (maybe cornbread or something) and I got honey on my broccoli, otherwise I would probably never tried it just to try it. ever since then, honey is on the table when we have broccoli.

4. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

This recipe is my favorite. My daughter also adds pecans

BROCCOLI/CAULIFLOWER SALAD

1 head raw broccoli
    1 head raw cauliflower
    1 lb. bacon, fried and diced
    2 c. shredded cheddar or sharp cheese
    Onion to taste

DRESSING:

1 c. Miracle Whip, don't substitute
    1/2 c. sugar
    2 tbsp. vinegar

Break broccoli and cauliflower into small pieces.

Place in large bowl with bacon, cheese and onion.

Mix dressing ingredients together and stir into salad.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, as much as I appreciate your offer of dead, frozen 'possum, we prefer ours fresh. Do not ship it to us--on Tuesday, 12/17 we received a package that arrived at our local post office on 12/09. Can you imagine what the 'possum would have smelled like after sitting in the P.O. for over a week? P. U.! Glad your hen survived,although minus a few tail feathers!
    Broccoli from the garden is so much better because broccoli tends to start getting bittertwo-three days after being picked. Broccoli from the grocery has usually been picked for longer than that, and develops a certain bitterness. Broccoli, like sweet corn, is best picked, cooked, and eaten with a couple of hours.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

John, That is my favorite broccoli recipe, too. I have that in a church cook book and it has become a favorite for our family gatherings.

Jane, I just wanted to make sure you didn't feel left out of the possum fest and feeling like you didn't have a possum to participate with. You thought I was going to say something else, huh? sounds similar and would pretty much sum up the lack of possum. Well, I wouldn't trust the PO to get there on time either. Even if'n it was frozen to begin with.

7. Maypop

Maypop New Seed

Too funny...thanks for the chuckle!