Walking in a Winter Wonderland--Day 2, new photos

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Feb 11, 2010.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The temp hasn't gone below freezing (32°) yet so the streets are slushy but driveable and the kids had to go to school. Tonight everything on the streets and highways will freeze and pretty much nothing will be moving most of tomorrow.

But then the temp goes back up into the 40's and this will all be but a memory. :rolleyes:

2. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Toni we were suppose to get sleet snow and rain now its down to rain.I hope we do not get the snow or sleet.You are welcome to it all.I don't envy you at all. :-D :)

3. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

We've had so little snow here in Wisconsin this winter that our snowmobile trails were closed for the last few weeks. It's a weird winter everywhere this year...I hope you enjoy your snow!

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

There is a place here in NE. between Lincoln and Omaha that was started years ago for "skiing" HA! Yes, in Nebraska... :rolleyes: But there are some hills and bluffs.. Anyway, They are just going gangbusters this year with snow sports of all kinds!!! I've not been , but I hear its a fun spot right now with all the snow.

Advertisement
  5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Kaseylib -- I didn't realize you all are getting so little snow.... you and Netty where usually you get more... Toni getting more.. Strange winter indeed.

Kay, when I lived in Illinois, there was a "ski" place that we went to once. It was the funniest thing. It was a man-made "mountain" and they covered it with real or snow-blown snow and people came from all around to ski there. It had a chair lift and everything. At the top of the slope there was a wooden fence and if you peeked through it, you could see the midwest farmlands, flatter than flat, all around, and most of it wasn't even snow covered. Very funny sight!

6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Well, the snow made it down here and there's nearly an inch out there. I am supposed to go early to the doctor in College Station in the morning. I might just call and change it. I'm not driving on the highways as they are now.
    It's supposed to be 49 degs tomorrow so it shouldn't last long.
    I sure hope not.
    dooley

7. glendann

Its snowing here now.

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Hooray Toni, you got snow, I know how much you like it, enjoy!!!!!!

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Yes, it is coming down here also. You can hear it on the side of the house, yet it looks like all snow. Really big flakes.

Dooley, I wouldn't want to be on the highways either. People in Texas don't know how to drive in the rain, much less snow.

10. glendann

Yes, we got snow Oreo liked it

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from glendann's Garden )

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Day two dawns on the deepest snowfall amount ever recorded in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in the 111 years of record keeping. Many places are reporting 15 to 20 inches/38-50 cms since it began around 2 am Thursday morning. We had continuous snowfall for 24 hours, sometimes very light sometimes huge wet blobs and sometimes the cutest little snowflakes you have ever seen.....and yes I spent a lot of time standing out in it having the time of my life.

My yard is under almost 9 inches/22.8cm of the most beautiful white stuff I have ever seen.
    Great clumps of snow are dropping from drooping tree limbs of the Live Oak trees, they are not deciduous so their leaves are holding a lot of snow right now.

Some limbs on the Crepe Myrtles out front are dragging the ground from the weight of the snow, their tiny branches are so numerous they hold the snow in the same manner as the Live Oak leaves.
    [​IMG]
    Loaded Crepe Myrtle ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

This mound is really a 4 foot tall, 5 foot wide Rosemary plant smooshed flat

[​IMG]
    Smooshed large Rosemary plant ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The front yard doesn't look as smooth and flat as it did yesterday, that's what almost 5 more inches will do to it
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Even the backyard is looking pretty under the snow.
    [​IMG]
    backyard ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I keeping feeling the need to be outside taking in all the beauty and soaking up all the special silence that accompanies a snowfall. Very glad we have a digital camera, I couldn't afford to buy the amount of film I would have used in the last 24 hours.
    Schools are closed all over the north Texas area so kids are having a really good time building snowmen and throwing snowballs.
    I think if our electricity was out like it is for thousands of people in the area I probably wouldn't be feeling this way about the snow....well, yes I would but I would be in a warm motel room at the time.

The temperature will be creeping into the upper 30's later today and into the 50's tomorrow and soon this will all be just a fun memory.

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So glad you are getting the chance to enjoy all your snow Toni. I can just picture the big smile on your face as you stand looking at your garden. :-D

Somehow I think quite a few of us would rather see a bit of green though after all the snow we've been having. :rolleyes:

13. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Toni, So glad you get to have some winter snow! It is better than looking at the brown, dormant plants. It will probably melt quickly down there in Texas, I would imagine.
    That being said, I'm with Eileen!! I am sick of the white stuff, and I want to see green!! :D ;) ;)

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Thanks for sharing your snow pictures Toni. I'm jealous.

15. glendann

I would never like looking at this crap.It is very pretty I do admit.I can't get outside for fear of falling.I loved it when I could enjoy it way back when.I only dread it now.I don't like the cold either.Texans don't know how to drive in it either.
    It is a pretty yard with all the dead browns covered.

Everyone wanted to see my Jasmine in full bloom.Here it is not yellow blooms but its fully white.

[​IMG]
    The Carolina Jasmine ( photo / image / picture from glendann's Garden )