Walking in a Winter Wonderland--Day 2, new photos

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Wow! Half a meter is a lot of snow, even by Norwegian standards. The melting might do wonders for your ground water level I guess. :D I'm glad you've got power. Have you made a snow man yet? Please do. I think it would look great out there. :D

2. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Thanks for the new photos. Glad you are enjoying you snow. I head on the news that you got record snowfall, hope it doesn't cause any major problems.

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Glendann - Hope your Jasmine is alright after this cold snap! This last storm that blasted all you down south was a strange one. :rolleyes: I sure hope it warms up soon for you so you can walk safely!

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Unbelievable, Texas gals! I just saw your snow on our evening news weather reports. Really an unusual winter for snow. I hope you enjoy your winter white and then it warms up for you quickly.

Advertisement
  5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

It is almost all melted tonight Yipeee.The furry animals loved it.My Jasmine is just fine.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The official snow fall for this area was 12.5 inches/31.75 cm and at least half of that is still on the ground around the area since the temp did not rise as much as they had thought it would and the sun never showed it's face. My yard still has almost 6 inches and is as pristine as it was yesterday morning.

Droopy, I just couldn't bring myself to mess up the beauty that is in my front yard by making a snowman....back yard either. We got out late yesterday afternoon and saw snowmen and snow forts on almost every vacant field and every other front yard.

We do have a slight chance for more light flakes of snow tomorrow, but nothing like the last 48 hours.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That much snow is amazing!. Wow. I'll bet you loved watching it fall too. It's pretty. I wonder how long it will stay for you? (How long do you want it to stay?) Be careful Toni, no slipping and falling allowed.

8. toni

Daisybeans I would love for it to stay for several days but the sun is about to make an appearance and with the temp already above freezing there has been a steady melting since early this morning.

Luckily this one didn't involve any ice, cold enough to snow but not cold enough for the liquid on streets and sidewalks to freeze.

I did stand out back looking up trying to catch snowflakes in my mouth, giggling the whole time, I am like a kid in a candy shop when it snows...out back so the neighbors wouldn't see and call the guys with the butterfly nets and white jackets ;)

9. Droopy

Haha, Toni, I do that every winter, especially when we get big, wet flakes, and I never think that I look like an idiot. I probably do. Good thing the neighbours know my playfulness. :D

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Ours is almost all gone.I little patch here and there.The sun is shining real bright here .I'm glad its gone.I thought I was back in Montana.If you think it was cold here go to Montana and play in the yard -20s and -30s.You want be out long for sure.Its nothing like the cold in Texas.When they say cold and high winds they mean it.A small child can frostbite in just mins. or seconds.That cold with 18 inches of snow on the ground.

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Toni and Droopy -- I'm "sure" you don't look .. er, odd... Then again, I was out walking in the neighborhood today and stood and had a conversation with a robin whose picture I was trying to take. Talk about odd -- not in front of my own house yet. At least my own neighbors know about me. he he. I wish you guys were my neighbors!

Glenda, how in the world does one dress for temps that cold as Montana??? I am in awe that you go there every winter! No wonder you don't want snow at your house!

12. toni

Daisybeans, I have perfected the art of talking with out moving my lips so that the neighbors will not think me odd when I am talking to the plants and creatures in the front yard ;)

13. Droopy

I talk to plants, trees, the animals, a rock, the worms and birds, and I often do it in such a way that people believe I have company or am talking on the phone. I've never bothered to correct them. :D

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Haha. I would love to see you guys talking in the garden. And don't the plants and birds talk back in their own way too?