weather report

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by i love bugs, Dec 7, 2005.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Anytime the official rain gauge at DFW International Airport receives over 1/10 of an inch of rain, the count of consecutive dry days starts over again so this year really doesn't look bad in that respect. But most of the totals out there have been less than 1".

In 1980 we had 84 consecutive dry days and 69 days of over 100 degree temps 2 days at 113 (all time high), 2 days at 112 and 1 day at 110, the majority of the rest were hovering around 105-108.

There have been popup showers all over the area about a couple of times a month since May. My yard has been under 3 of them for a total of 1/4 inch of rain in the last 99 days.

But even tho the dry spell is not a record in the number of days it is setting records for the least amount of rain. It is confusing since the official reporting station may receive rain while no one else in the 4 county area does.

The high temps are adding to the water shortage problem by evaporating moisture out of the lakes that are the water supplies for the cities, out of plants where twice daily watering just can not keep up and the ground causing some major foundation damage to a lot of homes (including ours I am afraid).

2. toni

106 today on my outdoor thermometer and it is in the shade on the north side of the house, offical temp at DFW airport was only 103. Today was the 31st day this year of 100+ temps and it was day 100 since my yard has had more than 1/4 inch of rain.

Any one want to trade weather conditions? I am pretty much open to accepting any kind of weather right now.

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We got dumped on again tonight but it is supposed to dry out the rest of the week. Wish I could share it with you Toni. Dooley

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Still dry here, but we've had cloud cover for a couple days so it is cool outside, about 60 right now. Yesterday we had some refreshing wind blowing through the trees, but it looks very still out this morning.

Advertisement
  5. dooley

We had a huge rain storm again last night. That's two nights in a row. Now, a dry front is supposed to be coming in from California. Sun in the forecast for next seven days. But, it's going to be hot again. Do I wish for cool and rainy or hot and dry. Maybe, I should let Toni decide for me and she would get some of the cool and rainy. I wish, I wish.. Dooley

6. toni

105 both yesterday and today, only about 103 tomorrow.

One of the reporters on my favorite TV station here had a report about the less obvious dangers involved with the heat we have been having. And at the end of her report she took a pan of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies off the dashboard of her car. It had taken only 3 hours to bake those cookies just as perfectly as a kitchen oven would have.

7. toni

Only 110 in Carrollton today. Might go below 100 starting on Wed and for the rest of the week, but then I am really not expecting that to happen anytime before October.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Toni if wishes could come true then I would be wishing for some steady, earth penetrating rain for you and some cool breezes.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh good golly gee,It rained it did it did ,We had a thunder storm .It had high wind and some rain not a lot of rain but it cooled us down some .Our lights went out and was off for 2 hours at least .Thank God I make candles :)

10. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

It's raining it's pouring, in not so sunny Essex! It is still mild though so although I have now cancelled work later, the grass seed I sowed under the willow will all have a chance to settle and germinate!

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I just got soaked in a massive downpour here :sete_076: . Next time I'll bring a jacket :rolleyes:

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I'm glad everyone else is getting really wet .We did get a little shower with a huge thunder storm here in Texas last night and the forecast says all the rest of the week we are to have showers and thunder storms..

13. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I want a sunny weekend! We have my mum over to visit, and my sister and her family are over on Sunday for a barbie! Bright and breezy tomorrow pretty please as I want to change all the beds, so the washing line will be full of sheets!

14. toni

The below 100 temps did not materialize here yesterday and today....102 both days with a feels like temp of 106. There have been more of the pop-up storms around this week, but yet again none have popped-up over my house. On Tuesday our electricity went out again when about 10 sprinkles hit the dry and dusty transformers and some rain showers were all around us but not over us. I think I hear thunder out there now but am not holding my breath that it will be our turn.

15. dooley

Well, it didn't rain today. It was sunny with really blue sky when we got up at 6:30 am. By noon it was overcast. Hot and muggy. Such a difference from yesterday when it was in the 60's and raining. Dooley