What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

Readers Digest Condensed Books Volume 3 - 1965

2. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Right now I'm reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. It's for teens, and is really popular in our library system (especially now with the release of the movie). It's about the relationship between a vampire and a human. It's definitely geared for a younger crowd, but I can understand their attraction. It's character-driven, not a very complicated plot, but I'd recommend it to all of you vampire fans. Parents/teachers like it because although it's a very romantic story, the two never do more than kiss because of the possible implications. Now I want to see the movie!

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm re-reading the "Shogun" novels. They're still good!

4. puppylove

puppylove New Seed

Well, I received "Be The Pack Leader" by Cesar Millan for Christmas and read that in less than a week. Very informative, as were his previous 2 books. I would recommend these to everyone. Whether you own dogs or not.
    Now I've decided to re-read the series by Dave Peltzer. Haven't had much time so I've just started in on "A Child Called It".
    I enjoyed them before so I'm sure that I will again.

Advertisement
  5. blackswan

blackswan Seedling

I have just finished a book called victim or villain which is about prince Charles written by Penny junor (maybe his one and only fan )and I must admit it was quite a good read it certainly gives a good insight into the weird morality of the aristocrats,and gives you a better understanding of his realationships with HRH Diana and his mistress.Apparently according to their morals any woman is fair game as a mistress as long as she has had a son and heir for the guy she is married to, unless she has had a son in the marriage she is off limits.

I am now reading a book about a mother whos son was in a coma and the medical proffession basically gave up on him, but she has made it her work to get him back in the land of the living I will tell you what it was like when I have finished it.The title is Hold My Hand by glenys carl

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

i'm three quarters the way through 'The Rebel Farmer' by Sepp Holzer. his story and ideas of farming/gardening with nature (permaculture) at 1500 meters above sea level. great book!

also, have just started 'Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties' by Carol Deppe. so far very interesting and easy to understand!

7. InsideReidsMind

InsideReidsMind New Seed

I'm reading Most Likely to Die.It's written in three parts by Lisa Jackson, Beverly Barton, and Wendy Corsi Staub.

8. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Im about 3/4 of the way through Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey.
    The beautiful planet Pern seemed a paradise to its new colonists- until unimaginable terror turned it into hell. Suddenly deadly spores were falling like silver threads from the sky, devouring everything-and everyone-in their path. It began to look as if the colony, cut off from Earth and lacking the resources to combat the menace, was doomed.
    Then some of the colonists noticed that the small, dragon-like lizards that inhabited their new world were joining the fight against Thread, breathing fire on it and teleporting to safety. If only, they thought, the dragonets were big enough for a human to ride and intelligent enough to work as a team with a rider...
    And so they set their most talented geneticist to work to create the creatures Pern so desprately needed- Dragons!

9. jungseed

jungseed Seedling

I just finished Gone with the Wind about a week ago. I'm still unhappy with it. It was a terrible book. Scarlett is much less likeable in the book. While she was rationalizing the formation of the KKK, I could not believe what I was reading. Some of things said about people of color and other beliefs were really bad. I realize it was written in the 1930's about the 1860's but it's still really hard to read those types of thoughts put into words. When I got to the end and she realied how wrong whe was about almost everything, I thought "serves you right!!!"

10. wilsonmian

wilsonmian Seedling

Hey,
    nowadays i am free and want to read a thriller story.Anyone can suggest me any good one?

11. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I just finished reading "A Darker Domain" by Val McDermid. It's about a detective who finds herself working with two cases that originated in the 1980s, and that now need to be reassessed...one's about a missing man and the other about a missing baby.

I learned a lot about the terrible lives of miners and how they were betrayed by both their union and the British government.

12. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I have just finished reading The Elephant Vanishes by a Japanese author Haruki Murakami. It is a collection of short stories that are amazingly varied and creative. I have to admit it was the most enjoyable read I have had in years. Thumbs up :smt023

13. rubythroat

rubythroat New Seed

I'm still trying to finish reading the last birds and blooms magazine that came in my mailbox!

14. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I'm mid way through Janet Evanovich's "Finger Lickin' Fifteen"...fast read, always a hoot!

15. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

I'm just starting Merle's Door, Lesson's from a free thinking dog. By Ted Kerasote, Great so far.
    Tom