What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Still reading Horation Hornblower books here... several of them gone by now. Currently reading Hornblower During the Crisis and also enjoying The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel, having finished The Elusive Pimpernel day before yesterday.

2. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

WHAT YOU READING?

I was recently lucky enough to receive some books from a friend whose wife (now deceased) was a civil war buff. I'm now reading 'GRAY FOX' [ROBERT E. LEE AND THE CIVIL WAR], a book by Burke Davis. Right up my alley as I am interested in history and love to get my hands on books written by the losers; as you probably know, most secular education history texts were written by the winners. Hank

3. MyGirlFriday

MyGirlFriday Seedling

I'm reading the Cedar Cove Series by Debbie Macomber.
    She writes beautifully and I find her books easy to get into........
    I love Janet Evonavich tooo!!!

mgf~ 8)

4. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

I'm reading "Two Little Girls in Blue" by Mary Higgins Clark..

Advertisement
  5. katsback

katsback In Flower

I have a old book of Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm ,1903 edition, im on page 40,so far its pretty cute story..

6. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I've been skimming through the old (1950's) garden books I bought last weekend.

7. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

I'm hooked on Jodi Thomas! Thanks to a 3 & 4 yr old I haven't done much reading the past few years. A friend sent me some of her books and I have now read 9 over the last month. They are so easy to read you are caught in the first chapter. Most of them are western romance and Jodi is in Canyon so some of her plots take place in places I've been. So if anyone has any just laying around let me know, I've already cleaned out my friend and the local library.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

At the moment, I am reading a forum entitled, "What Are You Reading At The Moment?"

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Im currently stuck in the book Ceasars Way by Ceasar Milan (hope Im spelling that right) ^_^ (the Dog Whisperer. Wish we had National Geographic channel so I could catch the show)

10. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Like Desert Rat, I am reading GardenStew forums but should be reading tomorrows Sunday school lesson.

11. englishrose

englishrose Seedling

I'm reading the Stolen Child by Keith Donohue about changlings. ER

12. Spring_rain

Spring_rain New Seed

I'm currently reading STORM FRONT by Jim Butcher. It's the first of The Dresden Files novels. The TV show got me interested in them, and when I found out they started out as actual books, I had to start reading them.

I also plan soon to start the Harry Potter series over so that I'll understand everything that's in Deathly Hollows.

13. Chitweed

Chitweed In Flower

Just got done "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. It's a story about a biographer writing about a famous novelist who is quite the recluse.(excellent!!!!)

Currently reading "The Secret Supper" by Javier Sierra. Reminds one of 'The DaVinci Code' if it was set in Leonardo DaVinci's time, and Robert Langdon was a monk. :) (pretty good)

Will start the Harry Potter Series to get ready for the final :( book. :'(

14. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I just found a rather fun series of three books by Rene Gutteridge called Boo, Boo Who and Boo Hiss - very lighthearted set in which a famous horror writer becomes a Christian and turns the town he is in (which relied on his fame for its tourist trade) somewhat into a comedy of errors.

Still working on Rabelias and a couple other works regarding the history of the Reformation - need to brush up on it before I have to teach a sunday school class on it in the fall.

15. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

I just finished Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It is one of the very best books I have ever read.
    The main discussion is on how some societies are more technologically advanced than others.
    The reason Pizzaro conquered the Incas instead of the other way around is due to the head start in technology that Europeans had. This all was due to the rise of food production in certain parts of the world and not others. Some societies were thousands of years behind because of the east west expansion of crops and domesticatable animals throughout Eurasia rather than north south (too many climate variations and geographic barriers).
    A most overwhelming majority of domesticated plants and animal species came from the Fertile Crescent (today this is Iraq, Syria, Jordan and Turkey)
    This head start in food production led to a head start in metal working and immunity from disease which most came from the livestock with whom they lived.
    This is why Eurasian Guns Germs and Steel were able to wipe out or dominate much of the world's population.
    Anyone who has even a hint of racism needs to read this book. A real eye opener. Should be required high school reading.
    Oh, it won a Pulitzer Prize too. Just in case you won't take my word for it.

muddy