What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Just finished "Orthodoxy" by G.K. Chesterson (the title sounds like dry apologetics, but it's a *great* read), now going through a book of poetic forms seeing if I can write each one as I go. Good fun.

Haven't picked up any fiction for a while, aside from children's chapter books I get my nose stuck in when I'm working in the library.

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm reading about how to bomb proof my horses. I'm tired of skittishness and too old to endure their pranks for an extended period of time. The book looks promising so far. It's written by a chap who trains police horses.

3. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Now I am reading:

"Lake Wobegon Days"
    By Garrison Keillor

(copyright 1985)
    It is a very charming and funny book. If any of you listen to "A Prairie Home Companion" on NPR you are already familiar with him . . . I also enjoy listening to his program on the weekends.

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Right now, anything gardening. My daughter gave me some gardening books for Christmas and I have my books on Louisiana gardening, so I'm pretty much staying in those.

Advertisement
  5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Im reading Lovely Bones, about a girl who is murdered when she's 14. Its told the from the girls veiwpoint. Very interesting.

6. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Bip...I've read Lovely Bones and really enjoyed it...odd twist on a story. I also read Sebold's new novel "The Almost Moon" and wouldn't recommend it. It's about a woman who kills her mother...I just couldn't get into it and only made it half way through.

7. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Just finished "The Darkest Night of the Year" by Koontz. Suspenseful like he's known for with a Golden Retriever who played a main part in the story. I'm a dog lover and couldn't put it down!

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I read the Encyclopedia of Gardening when I am up in the flower room......
    The whole set was given to me many years ago, and Only in the last 5 years did I really know what it was all about.(PS since I started seed swaps)

9. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Gosh Kasey

I am also reading that very same book - I like Dean Koontz and have most of his books apart from some of the earlier ones.
    I love the way he writes about dogs. and how beautiful and wonderful dogs can be.

BTW have you read Watchers by Koontz - it also features dogs.

10. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I enjoyed Watchers, too, although it was a little more towards the horror genre than what I usually read. Have you finished "Darkest Night..." yet?

11. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

The Prince of Bagram Prison by Alex Carr and My Antonia by Willa Cather. Next up- rereading Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy for book club. I am eagerly waiting for my newest Amazon shipment- Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace, One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and The Best Food Writing 2007 among others.

12. jungseed

jungseed Seedling

I am currently in the Mo's. I started at the back of the alphabet and read one book by each author. If I like it I read the rest that are on the shelf. If I don't I move on to the next author. It has taken me almost 4 years to get this far. Of course I still have to keep up with all my favorite authors as they put out new books.
    But this way I don't randomly pick up books at the library only to get home and realize that I have already read everyone of them that I just checked out. I really hated that!!
    My only concern is, what do I do when I get to Aa?

13. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ive read quite a few books these last two weeks (nothing much else to do here in Sudbury where Im visiting o_O) but my current book is called Squire, by (I think) Merideth Ann Pierce. Its third in a quartet about a young lady named kel who wants to be a knight in a time when females arent usually allowed (though there is one female knight who inspired Kel). Its a sci-fi book ^_^

14. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Start over again at "Z"!!! I like that idea of working your way down the shelves. How big is your library? We're in a small town of 1200 people and have about 12,000 items on our shelves.

15. Griphook

Griphook Seedling

I like to read old classics my parents and grandparents read when they were young. I'm reading The Leatherstocking Tales by James Fennimore Cooper. I'm about to start on "The Pioneers."