What are your September gardening tasks?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Frank, Aug 31, 2007.

1. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I've made a couple of batches of apple butter, but didn't bother canning it. I give it away, and my family snarfles up the rest. As far as the garden, I'm rebuilding a path round my little pond, yesterday I impulsively redid one section of the pond that had "settled" a little too much over time and refilled the pond- all the while forgetting that there was a pot of chowder on the stove! Ugh, had to settle for grilled-cheese sandwiches for dinner *scowl* Grilled cheese is the gardening mom's best friend!

2. sherenity

sherenity New Seed

It really depends on your zone. But some early peas(snow) carrots, beets, Kohlrabi, turnips,cabbages,kale,radishes, broccoli,brussel sprouts,spinach, lettuces,garlic, onions,bok choy ect.... There is really a lot BUT most of them have specific strain that does best in fall and a lot even improve with a light frost. The way you plan for fall gardening is to count back from your first frost to find when it is best to plant. But with mulching,straw cold frames,row covers,ect...you can extend it even further.

3. petunia

petunia Young Pine

thanks for the advice sherenity, what I have left in the garden, I may need to put down some mulching or straw as we are getting some cold nites in.

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Ha - nice to know I'm not the only one who goes into 'garden mode' if I step out the door. I tend to completely forget about whatever was so pressing inside the house once I go out and see a weed...and another weed...and oh yeah, I was going to clip that back....

:D

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Primsong! Are you me? :eek: