What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

We have yet to clean the soil from the potatoes, but they're safe out of the sunshine.

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Growingpains, that is a magnificent potato harvest! What variety did you plant (sorry if you've said, but I didn't do a search)? We plant potatoes, and it's always like a treasure hunt to "dibble" for the first little ones, and then when we dig and come up with baskets and baskets of potatoes, we are thrilled! Disclamer: I am thrilled, my husband, after an hour or so of digging, less so.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good grief, That is a haul! we don't get nearly so many potatoes from a hill. Great job!

Well, today I baked bread... I made 24 loaves for my markets tomorrow. I think that is a record. 10 were garlic bubble bread from the blue ribbon recipes from Taste Of Home. those were 20 oz loave. I made 10 of them and the rest was sourdough and potato bread in 16 oz loaves.
    Then I went to the garden and the high tunnels to water and pick tomatoes. I picked 5 bushels of tomatoes for tomorrows markets. A few greenbeans, 60 or so, cantaloupe, 8 watermelons, Kevin picked me a bushel of peppers and 2 pints of raspberries. I am tired and going off to bed ... after I get a shower.

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlingardner, they're white potatoes. I forget the name. Possibly Kennebec? Kennebec white.
    I'm too old to do gardening on a large scale. We grow enough for our own use, most of the
    winter.
    Carolyn, I wish to have your energy.

Today I picked a few tomatoes and one zucchini.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Today I weeded the big garden (kinda, there are still some ponderous weeds out there), watered the pepper plants, and communed with the chickens.
    Growingpains, I may try some Kennebecs next year--we were told only red potatoes would do well here, but the Yukon Gold did very well this year. I'd love to grow three colors of potatoes!

6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, if the man who sold me the seed potatoes hadn't told me, I wouldn't know the difference.
    I have grown Pontiac Reds with fair return. I want to try Russets in 2016. They're good for baking.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yesterday while it was comfy outside, I pulled up about 3 dozen Cosmos plants but there are at least that many more out there.
    I watered the back garden this morning and started formulating plans for next years plants and placement. Not really a good thing considering just how much it's probably going to cost to replace the poor plants that finally gave up this year after 5 years of excessively hot and dry summers.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, cosmos are a wonderful flower, but they do tend to self-seed and spread!
    If anything I have (seeds, starts) fit into your back garden plans for next year, let me know and I'll be exceedingly happy to contribute whatever I can!

9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

One good thing about lots of Cosmos, Goldfinch eat the seeds with gusto.

My garden experience today involved a surprise. We bury our peelings, etc, as compost for next year's garden.
    I dug in one corner, unearthed a white egg, smaller than a tennis ball. I gently scooped it into the shovel,
    laid it on the grass, and scooped again, uncovering yet more small, white eggs. I realized that our resident
    Snapping turtle had sneaked a nesting site without my being aware. Quickly, I scooped the first egg back into
    the dirt, covered all and chose a different corner for compost.
    A few years back, our Snapper tore into our garden, faking a nest. Then, a few years later, I accidentally broke
    several of her eggs while digging. I'm so glad I did no damage this time. I replaced them so quickly, I'm sure
    they will hatch.
    I learned that eggs incubated at a temp of 64 degrees hatches females, temps somewhere in the 70s hatch males,
    while temps somewhere between this low and high will hatch both male and female.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Weeded the yellow beans that I planted a few weeks ago and found a nest of bunnies right between the rows.... don't ask about them, Frank says I am not allowed to tell you what I did with them because it might gross someone out. I am not having 12 bunnies mowing down my hard earned Fall garden. I won't tell you what I did with the groundhog living under my shed and taking out my broccoli..... either.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow GP--Look at them spuds!! You have to be really proud of that good harvest.
    What kind are they anyway? I am so happy that you were able to upload this foto.
    The only thing that I did on this rainy day was feed the bees a bit. We have had so much rainy weather lately that I am giving them some invert sugar solution to eat so they will not have to break into their winter stores. Hopefully they will put some of the solution up for later as well. When the sun returns, they will be able to forage for fall sugars in the fall bloomers.

Just before I went away for another little trip, I harvested an enormous amount of beans, toms and the last of the sweet corn. After all the moaning this spring, I can't really complain now.

Picked some blueberries yesterday and made jam today, cleaned and dices a few kilo's of onions to freeze-in and processed a mass of beans. The work continues...in spite of the rain.

12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Carolyn, the groundhog I understand, but baby bunnies?
    Oh, I know, but they're SO adorable. Still, you are a farmer,
    and all is fair when food is at stake.

Sjoerd, I believe the potatoes are Kennebec whites. We cooked, mashed and froze 10 quarts.
    Living in a trailer park leaves little room for storage. Still, frozen mashed potatoes taste great.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yah, I know... sounds so brutal but 12 of them? Yep... have you ever seen what they have done to a garden.... 12 of them on top of that. and I have fruit trees. Have you ever seen what a hungry rabbit in the winter can and will do to a fruit tree. GRRR! They went to a good use, though. They volunteered to go the the raptor rehab center....

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Closest I got to working in the garden was watering tonight and this afternoon standing in the driveway watching concrete being poured and shaped to create the driveway entrance. That means that by Sunday we will be able to get into the driveway and live almost normal lives again.

And I found some seeds for Petunia 'Black Cat' to create a memory garden out back for Spooky.

Frank likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We sat on the patio this morning with our coffee--71 degrees! We enjoyed watching the birds feed, and the hummingbirds decide if it was safe to come to the feeders about 6' away from us, that the rest of the morning ran behind schedule. Who cares! Sitting outside on an August morning in Texas is a rare and wonderful treat.