What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It is way cooler here than normal. Yesterday was a record setting LOW for August. We had a high temp of 62*, today is a little warmer, but I have on long pants and a long sleeved shirt. I have picked 2 bushels of tomatoes so far and made 7 loaves of potato bread.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for the info GP. I have never frozen spuds. I must look into that.

3. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

No gardening this day.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have been putting in very long days trying to get the garden into dormancy before leaving for a long trip. It has been exhausting, and I have done about all I can do, so I'll calling a halt now as I shall leave tomorrow.
    The freezer is totally full, so I am ready.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bye S, I hope you have a wonderful trip,
    Today I was dragging so I kind of slacked. I picked 2 bushels of tomatoes. about a hundred or maybe a few more cantaloupe (washed and rinsed with vinegar water, too). um... and that is it.

6. kate

kate In Flower

No need to water.
    Last night I shifted plenty old dead plants. Still more to do as they finish for Autumn arrival.
    Shed needs gutting.

Sjoerd, take care and have a great trip, hope the weather is kind.

K

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, I wonder where your journey will take you? Color me green. I love travel.

Carolyn, that sounds like more than enough work for a day.

Kate, enjoy your Autumn.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yahoo! We got an inch of rain this afternoon and I see more is on its way. We were parched. Unfortunately it is too little too late for out farmers. I have never seen such small ears in my life on the field corn.. if there is an ear on it at all.

9. kate

kate In Flower

I carried water after water last night, everything was parched...guess what?

I get into bed and it pours down.

Its the same if I put down weed killer on the concrete, it pours down a day later............:(

K

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I will be doing nothing in the garden today... Rain glorious rain all night long.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Broken record here.....no rain in 69 days, none forecast until a 20% chance next Thursday and temps stuck at 95-99 until then too with a couple of 100's in there this weekend. If the overnight temps would drop into the lower 70's I could least get out really, really early to get something done...no weeding mind you, the soil is like concrete and nothing is coming up out of that!!

12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Toni, I hesitate to say what a beautiful rain we had last evening. I very much wish we could share with you.
    I haven't done much in the garden today. There isn't a lot to do with wet ground. Just pick a few beans, a few tomatoes.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

No rain here for a long time, not sure how long its been but the ground is rock hard. The only place I have been watering is in the veggie patch, which is starting to wind down. Pulled out the pea vines last night, still deciding if I have enough time for a fall crop. Will plant some spinach and lettuce again in a few days when the heat breaks. I have been picking tomatoes, beans and cucumbers endlessly this year!

14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Netty, I so wish everyone had sufficient rain. Iwonder if container gardening requires less water? I used a few 18 ( I think )gallon containers for a few things, such as carrots, spinach, pickling cucumbers and runner beans. Also one for a tomato plant with lettuce all around the edges. Everything grew well. Especially the runner beans. Only the cucumbers required water every day.

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh how I wish all of the rest of you some rain. We had a total of 2 inches between thursday and friday. We were blessed is all I can say. Even the weeds were stunted. The ground was cracked and bone dry. No one here was able to raise greenbeans this Summer. At the produce auction in July the yellow wax beans were selling wholesale for 4.00 a pound:eek:. I have about 10 double rows of beans growing but there weren't going to be any beans if we didn't get any rain, but now maybe there will be enough to can some.... as long as it doesn't frost early like it has for the last several years.