What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel, I completely understand your gardening logic. It makes sense. It goes with me the same with always trying new beans, spuds, toms or leafy veggies. When we find a inner, we keep using that one but still keep trying new things. That’s the hobby for us.

Those peps are a sight for sore eyes, aren’t they. So lovely.

Our beds will need attention, but are still a bit active…as are the flowering perennials that I will use to mulch the beds.

keep up your good work…and please keep posting.

Willowisp0801, Logan and Daniel W like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Went to see my friends Marion and Barry and we went to see Geoffrey, i gave him some of my old tulip bulbs and i planted them in his garden, i wanted some different coloured ones for myself.Also transplanted a lot of forget me nots in front of them. Showed Marion how to dig up the forget me nots with enough roots to be transplanted.

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Transplanting forget me nots, is not something to forget :)

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie—BTW do the uprooted myosotis transplant well in your experience? I have been throwing them on the compost when I clean my plots. Interesting info, now I think of it.

Willowisp0801 and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

It has been a busy wrap up time in my gardens this week. Some cows have been leaving pies of garden love for me, so the morning is a bucket and shovel. The Virginia Creeper at the back of the house crept a little further than it should have, and had to be pulled down from it's voyaging. I found an extendable pole in the boat shed that let me reach the top of the two stories with just a few rungs up on the step ladder, and using a boulder stand on, on the other side.

I have the Gazanias and marigolds in the greenhouse - I'm trying to keep them going long enough to harvest some more seeds. The pest netting has kept the cows and deer out of my kale and swiss chard, as well as the larch needles. We will have some swiss chard with dinner tonight. Usually my gardens are tilled by now, but I'm not doing that this year so the chard can stay as long as it can hold on. The last of the gardening supplies came up to the house yesterday, and wheel barrows were put away.

I quickly used the lawn tractor and sweeper to grab some leaves from some large areas. After fighting the clouds of black flies (they are attracted the heat of the engine on the tractor with the driver offering tasty morsels...and the cows) and a failed repair on the collector, I put it away. I may get it out one more time this afternoon. I have a pile that is about 10 ft square and 5 feet high. My leaf mold takes at least two years to break down with the short season, so this year I'm covering them and keeping them. I'll mix them in my compost as my brown matter in the layers. It seemed to work well last year. The mowed/mulched ones will go on the strawberries in the spring.

Daniel W, Willowisp0801 and Logan like this.
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Yes they do this time of the year, water them in well even if it's going to rain.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers, Loggie, I will try that with the next bunch.

Mel—What an enjoyable read. You are much further along there, yet still have more veg than me at the moment. Exciting stuff going on there. I hope the new compi works out for you (and us!)

Melody Mc., Willowisp0801 and Logan like this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I dug out the soil on one side of a raised bed, so I can repair it. Now it needs four rebars, three feet long, but I forgot to get them at the home improvement store. Next trip.

9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's great, can do it with foxgloves as well Sjoerd.

Melody Mc., Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have done it with te digitalis plants. I have not had a great deal of luck with wild poppies though.

11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

No poppies don't like being transplanted.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Today was cleaning some plots and path edges. The two runner bean wigwams were taken down and the vines were spread over the now completely empty quarter plot. Only one bean wigwam left—that of the Blauhilda’s. I am waiting for them to go brown.

The first foto shows the broccoli plot that was cleaned and after that covered with a layer of horse poop. Back by the bean wigwams and the large grass plant.
    62D955A6-38F0-4002-A1B9-526E6B37ECA7.jpeg

The second foto shows that bed covered with the grass plant’s donation and the missing bean wigwams.
    3D9D1F82-9113-4646-B210-D0248205080C.jpeg

Then we removed most of the Cosmea plants from the flower beds. I laid them on the bed, lower right in the above picture.
    When removing the plants there were a couple of branches that had broken from stout wind gusts. They air-layerd.
    177083AA-9904-43C9-A680-04F3C8797670.jpeg

It was a busy day.

13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Well done Sjoerd, you did a lot, it's sad when things have to be taken down.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too right, Loggie. It is sad…but it is double— it is also nice to see the tidy and clean beds. Good to see, but oh so plain and almost sterile-looking. Haha.

Logan and Daniel W like this.
  15. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Beautiful beds, ready for winter, Sjoerd. Interesting about the Cosmea air layering.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.