What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Today is my day off. ;)

Thanks for answering what is MOT? I don't know all the British-isms...

Thankfully, that wildfire seems to be out. They can be quite scary like the one in Paradise CA a few years ago. I would have to find transport for all of my animals if things got that bad.

Around here bamboo gets out of hand quite easily. I don't have any, but some around here do. I have enough other plants that get invasive like trumpet vines, mimosa trees, American bittersweet, wisteria, Virginia creeper and various weeds.

2. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

That is a nice bunch of seeds @Melody Mc. I hope they do well for you.

I like to get heirloom seeds as much as I can. Sometimes I buy locally, but sometimes I cannot find what I want and look on eBay for seeds. I look for ones here in the US and with free shipping too. I got my scarlet runner beans that way, and some herbs and they are all good. I also ordered my orange purple hot poker torch lilies (seeds) from someone on eBay, they are supposed to arrive any day. It was $3.70 for 25 seeds which seems good. And free shipping. They get 5 Feet tall! Orange is not usually a color I like, but they also have yellow, purple and pink in them, and look pretty. The hummers will love them.

Willowisp0801, Daniel W and Logan like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Finished pruning that row of fig trees. Now I can maneuver around them to clean up, and refresh the leaf mulch.

Then I took a nap LOL.

Willowisp0801, AAnightowl and Logan like this.
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Guess what?

It's raining again!

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That's a really nice, tidy border, Logan. Can't wait for Spring!

Logan likes this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I've brought in the trailcams, the extension leads and adaptors. I've taken out the batteries and I'm letting everything warm up and dry out, to clear any moisture before packing them away in a box until next year.

Willowisp0801, Daniel W and Logan like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

You've done a lot of work, i think that you deserve a nap.
    Thank you Daniel, i can't wait for spring.
    Yes it's been raining here as well, Tuesday might be better.

Willowisp0801 and Daniel W like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

IMG_2428.jpeg Finally have the fields cut and done for the season.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I collected another pickup truck load of leaves. They will help a lot. I will distribute them tomorrow.

Willowisp0801, AAnightowl and Logan like this.
  10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Weeded in between the slabs on the patio.

Daniel W and AAnightowl like this.
  11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I finally got enough salt/mineral tubs to finish moving my rose bushes and the peony bulbs. I hope to get at that this afternoon. A repairman is coming to finish fixing my stove, he had to order the part, and it is rainy today. When he is finished, I hope there is enough daylight left to get out there and move them. If not, it will be Wednesday when it gets done. I will be out tomorrow. I remembered some friends who raise cattle, and called them to see if they had any. They did!

I do need to get outside and clean up after my dogs. Finding that stuff in fall leaves is not easy unless you accidently step in it.

The weatherman is talking snow for over the weekend, but it is not supposed to amount to anything.

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I was able to get my Queen of Sweden (David Austin) rose dug up and moved into one of the tubs. The others will wait for Wednesday. I guess I have had it a long time, because it has huge roots.

And the repairman fixed my stove. :)

Willowisp0801, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

First things first while waiting for the ice spots to melt before even stepping outside. I decided to empty out a few pots and replant 18 amaryllis in pretty new containers . Cleaned the bulbs up and some have started growing leaves already. Set them all on a hot pad set at low then placed them in a indirect sunny window. Lightly watered to just moisten the soil. They will bloom in 6-8 weeks.

Moss is everywhere outside already so put down ‘Spray and walk away/… full strength over areas always in shade over the black top driveway.

Got the broom, blower, rake , scooper and set the ladder up to clean the magnolia leaves off the roof. Sweeped and raked and picked up the muck, leaves and needles and made sure the scuppers and downspouts were not clogged with debris. Some patches were still icy but by the time I finished up one side of the roof the sun had melted the shade side. Basically got most of the magnolia leaves, seeds and pine needles cleared . Then used the blower and finished up clearing off the balance of the scattered needles . That’s just the flat roof section not sure when i will tackle the concrete tile section.

Then got out the mower and mulched more leaves around the 5 magnolia trees and moved into another section of the garden mulched hazelnut tree leaves and maple tree leaves. I run circles around all the trees and leave piled mulch to break down to fertilize each tree. The magnolias are the first to bloom in early spring. They grow like weeds. A pain to clean up but it’s worth the garden clean up work for a few weeks of blooms in spring and needed shade in the summers. They need to be trimmed again. Getting to thick / tall and crowed out the Japanese Hinoke cypress bi-color and Italian cypress trees.

Blew off the magnolia leaves off the shade house roof and green house as well as the house section of the roof. All in the same area. My arms are a bit tired especially after putting wintering granuals down on the lawns . I don’t use a spreader because I can’t control the lil beads of moss kill and broad leaf kill mixed in the granuals from hitting inside the flower beds . I use a small scooper with dividers in the bottom of the scoop and do the sprinkling by hand. Did a section of the driveway cracks that always grow weeds, already popping up.

Last …the mower clean up . Wet soggy leaf mulching leaves the mower under deck and blades coated with a combination of mud mixed with leaf and grass. Scrapped it all out then blew all the debris out, lifted the hood and blew the engine off. It’s as good as new.

Finally checked all the pastures and not one gopher mound… success at last…not a single gopher . How long will that last? Well… I’m not gonna hold my breath… I’ll give it a week before some new gopher moves in.

Now the next few days will be busy family coming grands and cooking..

Happy Thanksgiving to all.:sete_056:

The before and after roof clean up..

Attached Files:

14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

You all have been very busy, not much for me to do at the moment, just filled up the bird feeders and put some water out.
    This week I'm going to concentrate on preparing the Christmas foods to put in the freezer. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you but i don't do it.

15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Pacnorwest , how do YOU get your amaryllis bulbs to bloom???

Some years ago, when I was still over on BHG's Garden Talk, we had seed swaps, and I received some amaryllis seeds. When I looked up growing them, it said they might take as long as 5 years to bloom. I have had them way longer than 5 years and they have never bloomed even once. Others have told me stuff to make them bloom, but no blooms. I have read about them, no blooms. They grow nicely, but so far no blooms.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    Willowisp0801 and Logan like this.