What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yeah, unfortunately the garden is pretty much done. carrot, beets and potatoes are still out there, but they are for us anyway. The tomatoes have gotten too cold in the high tunnels this past week and look pretty bad. I haven't been out there to look at them so I don't really know for sure. I should just pick them if they are good and cook them into juice and be done with them today since monday is ruled out to do anything but be at the hospital with my MIL for the day.

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, you have my sincere sympathy. Your sister, father- and mother-in-law all have someone to rely on and who will give them the best of care. You are bearing quite a burden.
    You are a very good person, and strong--admirable!

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yesterday I took out a very old and almost dead Rosemary.....too many icy winters lately and I think I might have overwatered it during the droughty summers. Now I have a large area for transplanting three rose bushes to that are not getting nearly enough sun where they are to be healthy.

This morning I was all ready to scatter wildflower seeds and mulch on the hellstrip out front only to find a large Bobcat machine parked in that section of our yard. They will not be back until Monday, if then since it's supposed to be a very stormy day, so I will have a talk with them then. But I plan on leaving a note on the machine to explain that I thank them for giving me an unusual piece of garden art and I am sure that the cab could be turned into a greenhouse, a few vines clinging to the front arm scooper and certainly some Hibiscus planted all around would make it lovely but I really do not believe the city would appreciate my vision for it and require me to call a scrap dealer to come take it away. So I think they really should see about moving to another location for storage at night or over the weekends.

marlingardener likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks. Jane... I am just doing what needs to be done, but there sure is a lot of it.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Popped out to the lottie today for the Snertfeest that marks the end of the season on our complex. It was great seeing all the folks again.

Harvested some Swiss chard.
    Lim2.jpg

Also...I wanted to show the Limnanthes border over at the blueberry "orchard". I especially wanted to show Donna. I have been wondering how hers are doing. Those crazy plants are beginning to bloom now!!:eek:
    Lim.jpg

Otherwise it was more wind and rain today. I had to bike out to the Snertfeest and back home in the rain...wet and cold--BAH! It got down to 4°C.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Donna S likes this.
  6. leafylady

leafylady New Seed

We quickly blew, raked, and threw all of the leaves over the garden as the first snow started to fall.

7. toni

The Bobcat was removed from my hellstrip last Thursday afternoon so Friday morning I was out there forking over the compacted soil, scattering a wide assortment of seeds on the area and laying down mulch. That's almost 40 feet I got done, ran out of mulch so the next load will go down one day this coming week when it's warmer out. I imagine it looking like a bee and butterfly destination next Spring with all sorts of flowers in bloom. But sometimes my imagination is more perfect that real life so I just hope that at least the Zinnia seeds will germinate and be pretty.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I popped out to the lottie for a lil looksy and discovered that the rodents had dug - up tulip bulbs in two places. Well, it may have been rainy but that was the last straw--I immediately dug out the excess chicken wire bits and covered the part of the blueberry patch where I planted them. I sort of used the technique that Jerry once showed.

I lost over 200 bulbs to the rodents last year and am determined to not give up without a fight this year, as i have planted another 200 bulbs of my "bee tulips".

We shall see how this works. wish me luck.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn--I sure hope you can catch a break, (and your relatives too!) from all these medical issues. I hope you sister's arm mends & your Fa-in-law's knee replacement works.

Sjoerd--I am enjoying your bike rides out to your lottie, (well, not the ones in the rain), and your pix of it too! Good luck with your rodent wars. We are on your side. Is Snertfeest just something done in gardens or is it a national celebration?

Toni--what is a hellstrip? Sounds like it is touch gardening. Good luck with your wildflower plans in that area.

My community garden plot is pretty much put to bed now. I still have kale to harvest but the family is now so sick of kale and the freezer is so full, I will just have to pull it. Besides, it has gotten infected with 2 kinds of caterpillars so I won't put it in the compost heap. Into the garbage it goes. I have a cover crop planted on most of the garden & when I was out last, I discovered I have 1" high seedling lettuces growing! I'll see how big they get before the first snow fall.

At home, I am still raking raking raking. I do a 30X30 area at a time & then my arms give out. Compost bins are looking good though: leaf mold will be great in the spring.

For Thanksgiving dinner last night, we cooked a goose (first time) and made 2 kinds of homemade ravioli: squash & artichoke. Delicious!!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Cayuga--The Snertfeest is just something that our gardening club does every year on our Allotment Complex. The time of year that folks eat snert is from late fall until the following spring.
    The Snertfeest is just a social occasion to encourage the members to get together.

11. toni

CM, the hellstrip is what many down here call the area between the sidewalk and street curb because it's difficult to get anything to grow except grass/weeds, difficult to water anything you do plant there and when neighbors have company there will be people walking over whatever you do plant there to get to the sidewalk. We have to provide at least 12 inches of space along the curb for those people to get in and out of their cars, but we will be installing a sturdy and easily visible fence of some sort to keep them from tromping over the flowers that do come up next year. I am thinking a post and rail fence would do the job and next to picket fences, it's my second favorite kind.

This is what mine looked like with the Bobcat 'squatting' on it. Hellstrip.JPG
    It's all been seeded and mulched now. Next year I will also move some Rock Rose, a white Yucca and I think fill the rest of the area with tall Zinnias after the wildflowers fade and drop seeds.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Toni---I can see it. That area has great potential. I like your idea of planting it. (I also liked your guerilla gardening threats to the driver of the bobcat!!)

13. toni

That strip is 6' wide and about 35' long, I get to plant on 5' x 35' strip of that. In my minds eye I see that strip full of flowers of all types that are covered with bees and butterflies....time will tell if my minds eye is showing me the truth or just what I want it to show me to make me happy. ;)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

DSCN3177.JPG Toni that's a really big lawn ornament. I like your idea of vines and such growing around it.

One garden down and lots more to do. Emptied the composters and use up the rest of the horse manure and added mulched leaves. Had enough to add to all my garden.

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Today we were out in the front gardens...in the snow ....putting up the outdoor Christmas decorations. It's suppose to snow for the next couple of days, though not a lot but it's going to be in the singe digits most of the week.