What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

We had the same thing, yesterday. It looked wet, but it was really total ice! Tonight on the way home, we had thick fog and now it looks like pea soup fog.

2. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

The ground is very soggy and soupy, and difficult to walk in. I worked indoors on my blue jean quilt and made homemade oatmeal bread today.

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Spongy here , the temps have warmed and the creepy squish sounds from walking across the lawn sounds like wet tennis shoes across a concrete floor. Squeak/ squish… something like chalk on a chalkboard.

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's raining.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I planted an extra extra container of leeks for my friend. She is an amazing hard working Rancher, and once calving starts her summer is a blur until next winter. I've been giving her leek starts for the last three years, so this year she gets her own container. :) She is from New Zealand and was trained as a Chef before meeting her husband, so she really loves cooking with leeks. I've been using the plastic rectangular basins that mushrooms come in, which seem to be working really well for me and make for easy transplanting.

Today I've also taken a stab at organizing all of my seeds - making sure the oldest get put to the front. (.....and yet I still want to look at seed catalogues and buy more seeds - self control is definitely in order. ).

6. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

RAINY currently 39°F (4°C) guess it's better than snow

Logan and Willowisp0801 like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

How nice that you have a Kiwi for a neighbour. We have been to NZ and travelled through the two main islands on what was called “The Magic Bus”. What a wonderful experience that was. We took three months to make the bus trip. If we had not made any stops it would have taken only two weeks, but we stayed three days in some places and would sometimes just stop at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere for some hiking then give them a ring and they would tell us where to rendezvous and a bus would meet us there and we would resume the trajectory.

The people made the largest impression upon us, but the country has so much to offer in addition. I could take hours telling about how well we were treated. In fact we actually entertained the idea of trying to emigrate there to live.

As you know we have travelled to so many countries and sometimes folks would ask us what the best country to live in was. We feel that Nederland is the best when looking at the big picture, The second best country for us was New Zeeland without a doubt.

8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Sounds familiar, or as my granddaughter says.....we're twinning!

Logan likes this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Not in the garden but i potted up my 12 rooted geranium cuttings.

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd Nice to read stories about all your travels. And pics, very enjoyable. We planned on traveling after retirement just haven’t got around to it yet.

Willow ..we are in a ‘mass mauler’ of storm accumulations …according to the words used by weather station one after another. Flooding again down stream. Fingers crossed wer don’t lose power again.

Logan geraniums are a great plant to grow. I had a lovely collection just from friends sharing stems and all started from cuttings. Keep us posted on the varieties.

Willowisp0801, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks Pacnorwest, the geraniums are a trailing type with 2 different reds, a dark and light. The light one has a smaller cluster of flowers than the dark one, the dark one has marking on the leaves, use them for the hanging baskets, i put them together in the baskets they go well together.

Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

several potted G’s filled with different geraniums.
    and some Hardy G’s in the garden. Or cranesbills.. I get them mixed up…last year pics. IMG_5916.jpeg
    P1010520.jpeg P1010521.jpeg

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac—Lovely colours and the types look good as well.
    I hope that you guys will be able to do a bit of travelling. Will it be package tours or will you go on your own?

Logan, Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thank you….Bright colors are what geraniums are noted for, make a great display on porches . Easy breezy plants.

We have been following a local travel agent has videos of different tours. We need to get mobile soon.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    Logan, Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Go for it.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.