What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

It's been raining all day so nothing today.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today I did sone more work raising containers up higher. Of the eight, I have finished six. It's hard work. Two more to go.

Melody Mc., Willowisp0801 and Logan like this.
  3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

You're doing well Daniel.

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

It's been raining again all day so nothing in the garden.
    So i washed my hair, but not in the rain.:chuckle:

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I won't have time to get out there today, but I did get some celery seed in the seasoning aisle a few days ago. I don't know if it will grow or not, but I sprinkled some on a wet paper towel and sat it in the window to see if it will grow.

Yesterday, I got some seeds planted in starter pots in my front room. It has the best sunlight for my house. So far, I put in broccoli, bunching onions, chives and spinach. I put the lemon seeds in a pot, but not sure they will do anything. It is 3 weeks and nothing yet. My friend apparently does not know how to save seeds, and they arrived moldy.

have a blessed day. :)

6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Around my yard lots of things are poking their little green noses out: daffodils, irises, lilies, those mystery bulbs, star of Bethlehem flowers, and many others. Peonies appear to be poking their noses out on one of my pets' graves but not elsewhere yet. Winter is not over yet, these are the early birds in my yard.

My rose cuttings seem to be doing well, and the forsythia cuttings too.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I might have figured out what those mystery bulbs are. I have some naked lady/pink surprise lilies around here, and have moved some around. I looked them up, and their name is Amaryllis Belladonna. Their foilage grows during the spring, and later dies back. They bloom in late July or August around here. The bulbs are sprouting, and the leaves look like my pink surprise/nake lady lilies. Some are up and going, and some are not yet up.

8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Your Naked lady belladona amaryllis sounds right. I have them in my garden for quite sometime. They always send up blooms in July / August. Has large bulbs the size of a large onion.
    Lycoris squamigera, the resurrection lily or surprise lily, is in the amaryllis family, It is also sometimes referred to as naked ladies. The foliage dies away in late spring. In late autumn the surprise lily pops up like magic and produces pale pink trumpet-like blooms top 2-foot tall stems. Has small bulbs the size of walnuts.

Both these plants are long lasting in the garden. Deer and ground critters know not to devour these poisons bulbs .

9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today I puttered with seedlings. Some of the chili peppers have germinated. One of the Alstroemeria seeds has germinated. The instructions state that they should go into the fridge in a week to stratify, but we'll see what happens.

10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I haven't done much. I checked to see if my garlic is up, the huge plowed piles of snow have melted enough to see them. But I saw nothing, yet. My onion seeds are coming up. I ordered a shelf for the basement and when it gets here, I'll move my plants down there with grow lights and a small fan. I'll bring my tomato seeds home from work at that time. Silly seed brain that thought they should sprout instead of ferment...

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  11. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Filled the bird feeders before I left for work.

Melody Mc., Logan and Willowisp0801 like this.
  12. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Made up some Sulphur Rose solution and sprayed the lot.

Melody Mc., Clay_22 and Logan like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Did some weeding and planted 3 pots of hyacinths in the back garden and planted some potted crocuses in the front garden, they don't look much at the moment.
    IMG_20240210_180325_(864_x_486_pixel).jpg

14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

So nice to see those flowers Logan. :)

Today I stole some time to organize my saved seeds from last year. I'm very happy with the Golden Hubbard seeds in particular. I'll share marigold, gazania, squash, speedwell, and poppies with my daughter - so we are both excited.

The onions and leeks are coming along.

onions and leeks 2024.jpg

And the peppers are happy - I haven't chosen a winner yet in the competition. One will stay in each cell and one will go.

Aruba and Jalepeno 2024.jpg

Hubby brought these home for me last week. And they came with a little hitchiker. I hope she finds a home amongst the indoor jungle. It will be a long time before outside ventures can happen.

primula 2024.jpg

hitchhiker.jpg

The herbal vinegar is perking along in the window.

Herbal Vinegar 2 2024.jpg

Today I'm planting Rhodochiton Purple Bells for the first time. I hope if anyone has grown these they will share their experience. I'm excited, but apparently they can be fussy to germinate so we shall see.

Logan, Frank, Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Not much outdoors, but I did transplant some Star of Bethlehem flowers, some violets and some hens and chicks to my wagon beds. They have shallow roots/bulbs so should be fine in the old wagon beds. I only have 2 hens and chicks left, they do not do well for me.