What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Riley—Good to see those houses again. I am looking forward to some hedgehog pics again.

Today we did quite a bit more pruning. We also removed the composted wood chip main path and replaced it with fresh wood chips.

We removed the composted old chips and put some in the compost bins and the rest on the veggie beds.

Here the old chip remains have been removed.
    C3261D0E-1295-4CC7-A8A6-132E5171F7DC.jpeg

Chip dump piles. I can see the black Norwegian bin liners in the tree there, drying out.
    C36538B6-1A3C-4171-B3CC-CB663B553738.jpeg

The finished product. It out to last a couple of years.
    C700C0DC-549E-4A4D-8DC4-5C9D308EBEA9.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Looking good Sjoerd.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I put one of the cameras out this morning where I said I would. As I was doing it, I was being watched by something sitting in the fence doorway. A large frog!
    I put some food in a dish in the corridor of the house.
    I mounted the camera on a length of thick dowel, so it's not too noticeable.
    There's a thin cable that goes from the camera to an adapter in a socket in the tea-house.

[​IMG]

I'm pleased with the bamboo "forest" no ill effects from the disturbance when a new post and base panels were installed.

[​IMG]

The bluebells are all thriving, like weeds, as are other spring bulbs in this border.

[​IMG]

I potted out the three new lavenders, using a different pot and fresh compost. (the dead ones went in the bin). The new ones were so root bound, I had to saw off the bottoms of the pots to get them out.

[​IMG]

The shed and the garage need a tidy, but I can do that tomorrow. My golf course is closed today as it is unfit to play, so it won't be any better tomorrow, we've had that much rain.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Loggie. I can feel that I worked a little bit.

Riley, the oriental areas of your garden are so nice to see, especially now at this stage of the season. It feels authentic.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    Pacnorwest and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Potted up 9 lily bulbs into 3 pots, it's been raining all the morning so just had time to do that.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Planted the last 3 of the potted crocus in the garden. Helped hubby prune the roses with supervision and after i did some weeding.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Looking great everyone!

Sjoerd, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Pacnorwest , I heard someplace (don't remember where) that rhubarb gets too deep of roots for containers?

I would LOVE to grow it in containers if it will do well.

An article on the net says it needs at least "40 litres" of compost to grow in containers? Okay... but I don't do metrics. I have gobs of wood chips and Horsey's poo to put in any container. I have several large empty totes, just not sure if they are "40 litres" or not. I will see if I can get a few more empty salt tubs from my friend... The bag has two rhubarb plants, so maybe one per tub?

I did plant some self seeding annuals and perennial flowers out in my "fish pond"... It has never had any fish though. The kids tried to dig a hole for a fish pond for me, but there is a layer of rock hard soil close to the surface there, so no pond for fishies. (You would need dynamite or a back hoe to dig through that layer of almost rock soil.) Since I could not have a fish pond, I refilled the hole with compost and plant flowers in it. I planted some of them also in another flower bed. Zinnias, marigolds, cosmos, catnip, black eyed susans, and some other dried seed heads got planted there.

My indoor seeds are mostly up and going. So far, the broccoli, peas, spinach, and torch lilies are all up. I am still waiting on the chives, and bunching onions, and thyme--though there is 1 thyme seedling. I just planted some columbines so it is a bit too soon for them.

I think my lemon seeds are duds. :(

Yesterday, I did work on that mess out back of my kitchen, and cut down the mimosa saplings. Any ideas on how to kill them and the trumpet vines running amok out there? I hope I won't have to resort to poison. DS wants to redo that spot and pour a concrete slab there... As long as there is access to the plumbing, I guess that is okay.

I have been trying to work on my blue jean quilt also. I cut out big blocks of flannel (12" square?) and am putting them together. I do have almost half of the backing put together. I like to top stitch the seams on it to make them sturdier. It goes slow because an old neck injury or two are bothering me when I sit at my sewing machine. I am trying to think of what to use for the binding, and I guess that will be mostly done by hand. Maybe I can do one side on the machine?
    90" x 4 = 360" !!!

I have a bag of white onion sets to plant outside ASAP. They are sprouting in the bag already.

And I still have to clean out the flower beds.... and prune, and haul more wood chips, rake rocks....

9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I almost forgot, the other day we were visiting a neighbor out front, and a HONEYBEE joined us. Only no flowers are open yet unless those elm tree buds are actually flowers? It was nice to see her, but I hope she went right back to her hive to get warm! I have things with buds, but nothing I know of is blooming yet, not even the dandelions.

And the other day we saw a BALD EAGLE out eating his/her dinner. I tried to get a picture, but we scared it. DS says he saw it another time after some recent roadkill.

And the ROBINS are back for spring.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oh no not the robins… bang … right into the windows…every year. I’m going to add window clings on the windows. Poor birds . Hoping to save a few birds from crashing into the windows , it worked well last season. IMG_6775.jpeg

11. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

The good news is The two trail cams are working after several months being stuck in a box.
    The expected news is that there is as yet no hedgehog activity.
    Just a nosey cat.

(those aren't car's headlights)

[​IMG]

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

It's turned out sunny so i did some clearing in the front border. Cut down the old stems of the Japanese anemones, verbena bonariences and tried to dig out a clump of grass that's growing under one of the lavenders, couldn't do all of it because the tulips are growing close by.
    Planted 3 lupins in-between 2 lavenders hoping that the flowers will grow through them in the space.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

More pruning and bundling. When the rain began to mist, we headed off to the HVC to get rid of our prunings.

I saw the first honeybee today.

AAnightowl, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

The bees are out.. Good news .:smt041

AAnightowl, Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I did measure my tubs and totes, and the tallest is only 17", so will have to look around. I do have my potato barrel, that would work? They are not so fussy about where they are planted. Two plants ought to do fine in that barrel?

Logan likes this.