What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I hope so Pac :)

Willowisp0801, Oreti, Logan and 2 others like this.
  2. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I did get outdoors to work some today.

I removed 2 straw bales from access openings to under my home--they were there last winter to keep my plumbing from freezing. One went to my chickens to play with. The other was sopping wet and a neighbor came and moved it for me with his tractor. I don't think I will use that one, it is soggy and moldy, and not sure what to do with it. If I do use it, I will cut the wires and move it in smaller chunks.

My rooster attacked me this morning. I chased him out of their play area and let him run loose today. He is back in their pen tonight. He did have a grand adventure, but he is likely as mean as ever.

I was going to mow some today, but the push would not start. My neighbor said he would check it out for me tomorrow. I have not checked my rider yet, maybe tomorrow. I STILL need to get at those rocks.

However, one of my flower beds was nice and shady, so I worked on weeding it this afternoon. I transplanted some stray black eyed susans into the bed too.

I got to talk to my Mother this evening, so it was a lovely day.

Willowisp0801, Oreti, Logan and 4 others like this.
  3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sounds like you had a productive day. Those hay bales have lots of weed seeds in them, when it warms up lots of weeds start growing throughout the bale's. Bales weigh 85-100 lbs dry - wet they are incredibly heavy. I wonder how it got wet.
    I found that a downspout from the roof was next to the foundation wall and water seeps thru the concrete inside the crawl space. I used an extension plastic pipe fits over down spout to redirect the water elsewhere, available big box stores.

Great idea to use hay bales to keep pipes from freezing. We had to have all the pipes wrapped with insulation and replaced old iron pipes with pvc. Our storage/crawl space door is in a very difficult place to access, besides to many creepy critters under there. Even the plumbers hated to go under there when replacing all the plumbing.

AAnightowl, Oreti, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Managed to get out and do some weeding in the back garden for a hour and then it started raining.

AAnightowl, Oreti, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Busy here the past coupla days. I’ll come back to you. Tomorrow may be a day off as the wind is predicted to be Beaufort 7.

Melody Mc., Logan, AAnightowl and 2 others like this.
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

They are straw bales, not hay. But they did keep my pipes from freezing. My home is over 100 years old, and not as well insulated as newer homes.

I was able to do some of my mowing today with my rider. I just tried to stay away from the ditchwork and rocks. The yard looks so much nicer. My neighbor got the push mower going, so I will work with that tomorrow or Wednesday.

I was out mowing during that eclipse. I don't know what all the hype was about. It got dark for a little bit and the sun came back shortly. (It was a lot like the hype for Y2K and that Mayan calendar)

I need to get out there and plant some seeds! And pull weeds...

My friend who sold me the raspberry bushes said to wait a week or two to plant them. I sat them on top in the container where I will plant them and put a bottomless birdcage on them to keep the critters out for now. Another friend said she will bring some strawberry plants tomorrow... Yum.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Sjoerd what is "beaufort 7" ?

Oreti, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

No gardening today. Chilly and rainy.

9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's raining again and the ground is too wet to do some weeding.

AAnightowl, Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  10. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Nothing much today apart from checking for any overnight wind damage and watering all the seedlings in the greenhouse.
    Hospital visiting again all afternoon.

AAnightowl, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  11. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

12. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

13. Doghouse Riley

I'm looking at this today. So no gardening.

[​IMG]

I might go to the village for some green spray paint and re-spray the tatty pot movers. I can do that in the garage.

No golf this week either. Over the last couple of weeks it's been so wet they've been steadily reducing the number of holes open to play. Like a game of musical chairs. Not worth getting wet, to be only able to play half the course.

AAnightowl, Oreti, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today outside it's been raining all day, so i pinched out the small snapdragon and cosmos plants.

15. Doghouse Riley

I've not been idle, I got the paint for the pot movers. I've been watching tennis and cricket on TV. In between, I've been practising my putting on the front room carpet. Although I won my division last Wednesday by a few shots, I missed a few short putts. I need to improve.
    This is my Odyssey "two ball" putter. I'd been using a different one of the same make for over ten years. Then two years ago, I saw Lexi Thompson in a televised competition, using one to great effect. So I bought one.
    Then a few weeks later, she lost a nine shot lead in a competition and never used it again!

[​IMG]