What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

stuck tubs.jpg
    sorry, my tubs are with the odds and ends out in the garden.

I did put some vegetable oil in a spray bottle and have been spraying between the tubs, but so far they are still stuck. They are excellent planters, and also water tubs for various animals. They sometimes come in other colors. I will use the cardboard in the bottoms when I get them apart, and then fill with wood chips, compost, etc.

There are Egyptian walking onions in the tub behind these, and some of the pots. And some of my Asian lilies are just beginning to sprout. I will get other flowers planted soon.

Melody Mc., Oreti, Logan and 2 others like this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I'm probably as anxious to see what they look like, as you are :)

Melody Mc. and Oreti like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

What if you turn them upside down, then pour hot water on and around the top one? That might make it expand. I don't know o_O

Melody Mc., Oreti, Logan and 2 others like this.
  4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I guess I can try it tomorrow...

I did plant that possible broccoli outside today in the garden.

I found some new weeds in the front yard the other day, and dug them out today. I did not want to let them spread. I weeded another flower bed and planted some marigold seeds there, so I had a very full wheel barrow load of weeds. I put them in that "fetid swamp water" thing. (from a you tube video). I had put some wild elderberry trees around an old stump, and a few perennials.

I also dug out several young cherry trees in inconvenient places. I have some more to dig out if I get that far. And the mail lady was happy to get them. I was wondering who to give them to. All of that rain made digging a bit easier.

I did not get as far as going after some blackberry bushes today. Maybe sunday?

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel look at what a professional job you did trimming fruit trees. That’s a lot of work , however with battery op clippers it’s a joy to trim whatever is needed . So happy to hear it went so well and saves the joints.

I managed to clean out my garden shed. I found a bunch of pots I had been looking for and repotted lily bulbs and dahlias. Also found a few nice garden art pieces I plan on repainting and putting back out in the garden.

Had to transfer the gas pump to another 55 gallon drum , the existing drum was empty. Pulled the pump out after struggling to get the bolts out around the edge of the base. A little spray of WD did the trick. The rest was a piece of cake.

Examined the pastures after spraying to eliminate poisonous weeds all was shriveled . In another week it will be safe to allow the horses back on that section of the pasture. And…No new or old gopher / mole activity.

Melody Mc., Oreti and Daniel W like this.
  6. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Not a lot as I had more care homes to visit but before I set out for the day I did pull out all the potted Hostas and set them out in their water trays.....this always works extremely well at stopping the Slugs and Snails from snacking on them. We use to have them in our borders but their leaves soon resembled lace!!

Nothing will be done today either as we're off out into the city for lunch then hospital visiting again.
    I am very behind in the garden this Spring and it's causing me more unneeded stress. Hopefully I 'm not planning on going anywhere over the weekend (other family will do the hospital visits) and I'll be able to knuckle down and get loads done outside.. If the weather behaves.:fingerscrossed:

Melody Mc., AAnightowl, Logan and 2 others like this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I'm up to date with garden. I've mowed the lawns.

[​IMG]

The re-painted pot movers are back in position on the "rose patio."

[​IMG]

The only "big job" is to get into the rockery (again) and dig the grass out of the phlox. It's a pain, as it's a "hands and knees job." But not today.

A lot of hedgehog activity last night, between 9.00pm and 5.00am.
    There's at least two that visit. I could hear some "off camera snuffling" on one clip. They come for the food I leave out, which only they can access, but it doesn't stop the cat from watching.

[​IMG]

We've two unoccupied hedgehog houses, that have been used in the past, but I think the constant attention of a neighbour's cat put them off.

Bye!

[​IMG]

Melody Mc., Oreti, AAnightowl and 3 others like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@AAnightowl , thanks for the pic, i haven't watched this but one might work.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Logan, I did not get to the hot water idea yet, but will try his ideas until one of them works on sunday. Thanks a million! :) :) :)

10. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Tansy ragwort?

Melody Mc. likes this.
  11. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Pruned an Asian Plum tree. Methley / Shiro / Something else, multigraft. So tasty.
    IMG_6497.jpeg

Also pruned a persimmon tree and almost finished another apple. A lot of the apple tree work was training and tying, and I wore out LOL. I usually use cotton cord, and square knots but I don't tie myself down to a particular option.

I realized I need to watch where my fingers are, using that automatic pruner. Careful :eek: No harm done (whew!) but the idea kind of makes me shudder :smt101 (A long time ago I sliced my thumb with a secateurs. Didn't like that.)

Repotted some chili peppers. I'm happy with them so far.

IMG_6513.jpeg

The tomato seedlings are at that stage where I think they'll really take off and grow. It'll be a month before the weather is ready to plant.

IMG_6518.jpeg

I pruned the containerized Mandevillas and started watering them again.

IMG_6522.jpeg

This one needs more TLC.

IMG_6524.jpeg

I ordered some Strawberry plants on Amazon. I looked at a lot of online nurseries, but they wanted too much unnecessary info from me, or wanted me to create an "account" in order to buy one bunch of plants. I don't want more spam, texts, calls, emails etc, so they lost my business this time around. I am already on Amazon anyway. Plus free shipping. But will the plants be good?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  12. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I want a dalek compost bin!

Logan and Oreti like this.
  13. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Well shoot, I just looked up a dalek compost bin and at really doesn't look like a dalek. It's just a brand, I guess. I wonder which came first the Dr Who dalek or the dalek compost bins....

Logan, Oreti and AAnightowl like this.
  14. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Logan and Oreti like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel not sure what you are asking .. Yes…Tansy Ragwort? Managing the pastures for the horses every year I rotate and fence off sections of the pastures to spray poisonous plants that I see growing in the horses pastures. It takes 3-4 weeks once sprayed for the area sprayed to be safe again for livestock to graze. I use organic weed spray that kill these toxic weeds . Some weeds can cause organ failure and death. Even the leaves from the weeping cherry trees are poisonous as is 90% of my garden plants and kept away from the pastures . The horses love roses and rose hips I collect them for the horses. They generally leave all the other garden plants alone.
    Link: Poisonous plants to livestock commonly found in Oregon pastures .
    Tansey ragwort and more .
    https://extension.oregonstate.edu/collection/poisonous-plants-commonly-found-pastures

The seedlings and Mandevilla’s look great a favorite vine / flowers are lovely, as does everything else in your garden. I didn’t think we could grow persimmons here. And Yes, Amazon has great plants I order a lot from them .

Be careful with battery op pruners they don’t have a safety stop. Pruning goes so fast with them I sometimes think maybe I should look into chainmail gloves. Amazon has them. From $15.00 -35.00.

Riley …Hi..that is my last name by the way. ;)
    Your weeping dwarf acer palmatum trees are very nicely shaped. Where in the world did you get the idea to make a wire cloche to train and shape limbs so perfectly ?
    Your dwarfs are way ahead of mine as mine are just starting to leaf out the past couple of weeks. I have a dwarf
    tri/color cut leaf Japanese acer palmatum ‘Virdis’ and a dwarf Acer palmatum 'Otto's Dissectum'. Both are smaller than the dwarfs shown in your garden . I just adore them. They are tough hardy trees and have taken a few way over the top pruning episodes at times.
    Also your wisterias are way far ahead of mine . Another pruning job must to achieve flowers. I use a battery op pruner makes the job like cutting butter and saves the hand/wrist finger joints.

Willow I hope you find the composter you described. My compost pile is just a huge pile in the pasture trees,shrub, clippings with yard and garden debris. I don’t put food waste out there because of the wild animals in the area. It eventually breakers down into black rich soil.