What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Finally got the fruit trees pruned and a bit more of a flowerbed cleaned and perennials cut back. I have uprooted artemesia to keep it in bounds. I feel guilty killing plants, but one can have just so much artemesia!
    Also moved the first flat of seedlings to the barn to start the hardening off process. I've found homes for some of the extra basil and tomatoes--now I just need to keep them alive until they meet their foster parents!

2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

How nice to live in a zone where gardening can begin in early March. In Michigan, we dare not set out plants until May. I did buy organic potatoes and stood them in a brown paper bag, in a fairly dark spot. Upon investigation, I find they are growing eyes , which leads me to believe I will get them under the soil on Good Friday.

Sjoerd, if I find tall grasses, I surely will remember to dry, cut thin and compost.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I got most of the new plants in pots yesterday, did some cutting back of perennials that are already starting to show green. Re-potted a very large St. Johns Wort and redid a few smaller pots that have been neglected for a couple of years....same plants but new dirt that should keep them happy.
    Tomorrow I need to get a spot ready transplanting a rose that is being shaded too much thanks to an overly active Hackberry tree and getting an area ready for moving pots of Canna to, sort of making a rainwater bed for them using lots of containers. They have suffered so much from lack of rain this is probably the only way to get blooms this year.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, you are a busy gardener! This morning I planted four rows of green beans, two rows of squash, and a row of cucumbers. This afternoon I'll plant the Julia Child rose and if I have any "oomph" left, the April Moon rose. More of the seedlings moved outside to harden off. I'm keeping the tomatoes and peppers inside for a week more. I don't trust the nighttime temperatures!

Advertisement
  5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Today I re-potted a lovely, miniature, yellow rose which was given me as a gift.
    I'm hoping to transplant it later into the flower garden.
    I also chopped some lemon peelings into the compost heap, and scattered a few
    in the area frequented by cats. Lemon is supposed to keep cats away.:fingerscrossed:

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Today we took our collected branches to the place where the yearly wood chipping will take place, The pile is growing there. The bees were flying again today.

7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, do you use the wood chips along your garden path after the chipper does it's work?
    I wish we had a wood chipper.

Today I dropped some Nasturtium seeds and some Four O'clock seeds in the flower beds.
    I think they will spring up as they do in nature.
    Two Crocus flowers brighten the drab remains of winter.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Planted up 5 flats of yummy peppers. Whoo whee! this was the best year ever for germination ever on them. I started them early just incase I had to do them again. Nope. Watered... and took cuttings of rosemary that a friend mailed me from TX. Planted more seeds, moved plants from one greenhouse to the next... its getting busy here.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey there Growing--I will not use them because I already have all the chips that I need. I will leave my chips there for others to use.

Way to go C--so it begins again. How's the weather?
    BTW have you heard anything from the Captain?

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Today I didn't go to the garden, I was cooking today; however, I want to announce that yesterday (six days after planting) the spinach came up.
    spinazi2.jpg

I am over the moon. I hope to get them in the ground within a couple of weeks.

11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Way to go, Carolyn.

Sjoerd, that medium you planted the spinach in. Is it vermiculite? So you transplant spinach? I just put the seeds in the garden rows. I have done beet transplants. Maybe I should try spinach transplants too.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Growingpains likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Growing,
    See this link: http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/spinach-planting-trial.36746/

I am trying this planting-out of spinach this year. I want to see if it will work.

I transplant beetroot every year. Have you had good success transplanting beetroot?

That is indeed vermiculite. I always spread a very thin layer on top of the seeds that I am trying to germinate.

It was sunny here all day and all I did was stay inside and do "house things". ..well, tomorrow will be a different story.
    Hmmmm....I must go to the garden centre soon to purchase certain "Spring Things".

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We started the season a little early this year as the weather was a little warmer than last year (and I could so I did). I posted pictures about 3 weeks ago and went to take some the other day but my camera was DOA when I came back in and there weren't any pictures to be had... I'll go again and take some more. Everything is getting big already. The weather has been warmer than last year so I am a little ahead of normal. Today I went to get a few things for the little hightunnel (strawberries for Kevin again) and I started a new pack of tomatoes that came in the mail. BHN589's this time. planted up a few more herbs and started a few more seeds.... a little here and little there....
    The weather has been absolutely beautiful for the last week. Today though it was really soggy. tomorrow sounds wet too, but the temps are warm so I'll not pout or complain over it.

I haven't seen or heard anything from Capt. I don't even know if I know his real name to check up on him. sorry.

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

we worked on the little high tunnel today planting it up with strawberries... 250 plants went in there... then we moved hanging baskets from the small greenhouse to the large one to space them out. I grew an extra 100 this year... I hope I can manage to sell them all, but last year I don't have any after mothers day.
    100_1947.JPG
    seed petunias.. I started these in Jan.

100_1936.JPG
    mini cabbage variety... looks the same to me so far.

100_1939.JPG

100_1933.JPG
    new to me variety.. called Johnny Flame... the picture isn't as true to color as I would hope to see, It is actually burgundy with a hot pink edge.

100_1932.JPG
    baskets moved from the small house to the big one.. I need a bigger house. taller for sure. I am only 5'6" and I am ducking.
    100_1941.JPG
    Dahlias I started from seed in January
    100_1945.JPG
    the geraniums are coming along. this is the variety series called Cola

There is much more, but I am needing to finish up and get ready for church... have a blessed day everyone.

Sjoerd and Frank like this.