What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@AAnightowl they cherry trees are Prunusserrula 'Kanzan'. Ornamental cherry trees. Have been naturalized in Oregon. A beautiful show in early spring.
    IMG_7960.jpeg

There are two other cherry trees Prunis Marginata wild tart cherry trees 50’ tall, white flowers.
    And several Prunus pendula 'Pendula Rubra' is an ornamental weeping cherry tree.

2. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Sjoerd, what's a prissy plot? Flowers?

I will have quite a few blackberries this year.I tried taking a picture of all the blooms but with my new tablet it says it's too big. I will charge my old tablet and go take pictures. Everything is coming up in one of my beds. I just planted one. It's now deeper. It took my neighbor, my granddaughter and me to get the boards screwed together. Then when I went to drill the holes for the other bed, I couldn't find my drill bit. I have noticed that if I don't keep tightening the drill, it loosens and the bits fall out. I have a feeling that the bit did fall out and I didn't notice. When I put the screw driver bit in, I probably thought that I put the drill bit back in the container. The screw driver part came with the screws so I didn't notice the place where it snaps in was empty. So I'm assuming it's buried in my garden under the dirt I put in. We only got one done that night because it started to rain.

Raspberries are doing great and it looks like I'll have more then one or two of the wild black raspberries. One of the potatoes is coming up, but I got a late start with them. Tomorrow I'll finish mowing my yard. No mow May got away from me with all the rain we've been getting. I started it yesterday, but it started to rain....again. It dried out today and I got about half of what was left done when the battery died. I can usually do my neighbor's lawn and most of mine, so I didn't charge it last night, guess I should have. But I'll finish it when it's cooler in the morning. Well I just asked Alexa what the weather is tomorrow and it's 85% chance of rain. Looks like I'm finishing it tonight. I still have a few more hours of light and the battery is charged.

Jewell, Sjoerd, Oreti and 2 others like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

What do they smell like? Could they be lemon balm?

Logan and Willowisp0801 like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Just incredibly beautiful!

Advertisement
  5. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Hopefully it's not creeping charlie. Once you get it, you can't get rid of it! It's taken over my back yard! It doesn't grow real tall, and has little purple flowers on it.

Just finished mowing my front yard. My granddaughter can do the back. I kept disturbing little orange butterflies. I guess they loved no mow May. I like,it because I like watching the fireflies during the summer.

Oreti, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thank you Daniel. That’s is the area where the gophers have left 5o or more holes. I have got the 2 gophers trapped. No new holes in two days in the area under the cherry trees. Or in any other area in the pastures. It’s quiet for now.

Willow I think those little orange butterflies are so nice to see we have them here to. They are tricky to get a pic jumps around wiggley to snap. It’s nice to start seeing bees and butterflies.
    We will be a mowing all summer until fall . Nice to get the lawn mowed always makes the area look so fresh and clean.

Oreti, Daniel W, Logan and 2 others like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Not much today. I prepared furniture for the mover, emptied a dresser and book case. The books go to the library sale but the food bank wants the cookbooks. They want the garden books too.

I did notice the tomato cutting grew roots in water.

IMG_7945.jpeg

I planted it in potting soil in a small pot.

IMG_7949.jpeg

It will be moved gradually into full sun, over the next week. It's Supersweet 100, which I grew many times before so it's like an old friend.

Yesterday after an appointment, I stopped in the grocery store for a snack. But I didn't see anything I liked. Then I noticed a rose left over from Mother's day and marked down.

I bought it, took it home, and this time immediately washed off the soil. I did that by swirling the un-potted plant roots in a bucket of water and gently teasing apart any tangled roots.

IMG_7930.jpeg

Then planted in good quality potting soil, pot about twice the size of the original.

IMG_7932.jpeg

Now it looks OK.

IMG_7941.jpeg

I do that because I can't keep up with the watering in the original peat based medium. Done carefully and quickly, they usually don't miss a beat and last much longer for me, and I can keep them growing for the long term.

I noticed it's slightly droopy today. I should have kept it inside. I think it will do fine anyway :fingerscrossed:

Jewell, Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and 4 others like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel you have the best Green Thumb. You always have surprises in store to share, :smt023

And looks like the happiest rose :sete_013: of all for your rose collection and will be bursting at the seams soon..:smt023

9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Daniel that looks like a nice rose and it should recover, it probably wilted a bit from the shock.

10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Did a bit of weeding and planted the rest of the gladioli and some snapdragons.

11. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Been out this morning but came home for lunch before going out again this afternoon. While hubs is preparing our meal I have wandered around our garden finding a few spaces for the last remaining Geraniums that were left over from not being needed for our patios. Also planted a few Marigolds into a small pot and placed it in front of Donna the statue.
    If I'm lucky and manage to get out of the washing up of the dishes :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::D then I may have time to start finding some of the Zinnias their new homes too !!:chuckle:

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Willow— a prissy plot is a place that we plant a certain type of small and colourful blooming plants. I just sort of translated what we call it in Dutch because their really isn’t an existing true translation. It is a word that we made up, but when spoken the folks here know exactly what we mean. I will show a piccy when the plantlets are established.
    Good to see you back on here.

Well done Daniel. Those roses came out good for you, didn’t they. Well done.
    The tom rooted well. Good luck with that one.

13. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Plan on doing more weeding and mulching this evening after work and of course water veggies etc as needed.

14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I like your explanation . I guess my whole garden is a …”Prissy Plot”…:rofl:

Willowisp0801, Logan and Oreti like this.
  15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Took out the spring bulbs and polyanthus out of 3 large tubs and planted in each 1 standard fuchsia, one trailing fuchsia, snapdragons and Erigeron.

Willowisp0801, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.