What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Thanks Sjoerd, it's nice to have some time and be back.

I did nothing yesterday, it was raining again. It was sunny and in the 70s F, when I left work. By the time I got over to the East side to pick up my granddaughter (and two friends) it had cooled down to low 70s. Dropped off the two friends and headed home. About half way home the rain started....it poured. I dropped off my granddaughter and went to the store, and got there just in time for a break. It continued like that for the rest of the night, raining, pouring, a lull. On the way home my granddaughter reminded me of the old raining rhyme.... It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring, I wonder where that came from. I just asked Alexa and it looks like more of the same today....sun and thunder storms, high of 82 F. At least my garden's getting watered.

Pacnorwest, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Wow I just looked it up, it's as gruesome as, "ring around the rosie". The article mentioned, " A tisket, a tasket", I don't think I want to look that one up.

Pacnorwest, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Had a good day out in the garden, our spot of rain that was forecast for around 4pm never arrived.
    I think I have now found homes for all the remaining plants although a few Dahlias will need to be repotted and remain in slightly bigger pots for this year.:(

Just need to do the last bit of planting out now. Not sure when that will be as I have things on for the next 3 days but may be able to sneak 10 mins here and there into the coming days. :fingerscrossed:

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Started planting out some more of the cosmos and lillies but it started raining.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Cosmos is the quintessential plant in any garden. The little darlings of the faint August breezes.

6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I laid black plastic in the area where I will plant squash seedlings. Maybe tomorrow.

Also, planted a big clump of dusty miller in the fig row. Deer ate leaves and tips from lower fig branches but most are OK. I keep them pruned so most growth is above deer-preferred height. They say fig sap is toxic. I hope it gives indigestion to those deer :whistling:.

i spread slug bait around the dahlias. That seems to be the most-favored plant for slogs at the moment.

I did note, slugs and deer do not touch - Eucalyptus, Dusty Miller, sedum, geraniums, peonies, at least so far this year. Eucalyptus is potted and does not go near the house due flammable essential oils.

I potted up the Alaska nasturtiums. Whatever ate the first plants (I blame jays) left the new ones alone.

I air-layered a big branch on the "old rose" which I think is a heirloom variety, very fragrant and heirloom form. The original bush came with the house but us in a bad location.

Logan, Sjoerd, Willowisp0801 and 2 others like this.
  7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I planted a sweet potato slip in a large potato type bag. I'm going to see if I get anything. If I do, great! If I don't, oh well live and learn. That's the extent of my gardening, today. My granddaughter joined the free summer program for high schoolers at planet fitness, so she went tonight (but I'm sure you can guess who does the driving). She said maybe twice a week, which is fine with me because she still does weight lifting on Saturdays with her aunt and uncle.

Logan, Oreti, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Willow that’s great that you help out your granddaughter and get to spend time with her. They grow up so fast…

9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Today is a nice sunny day…:smt041
    I had a terrible fall a couple days ago still tricky walking . I fell flat smack dab straight on my left hip. My feet went up and boom I was down quicker than a chicken on a june bug. Wow oh boy who knew the ground is so flippin hard.

All set for mowing and harassing the moles , voles and deer. Have a lot of garter snakes in the pastures and so far caught 3 moles in traps. And not one deer scat found around the pastures in 3 months since mowing daily. Why did it took me all these years to figure that out… geezzz.

My need to do list for today is to set up the hoses for the auto watering system to a computer program called
    ‘b-hyve’ , test for leaks … no leaks plz, I beg of you. I say to myself every year a prayer to the hose gods…And a couple of soaker hoses to patch together . That’s the goal for today.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    Logan, Sjoerd, Oreti and 1 other person like this.
  10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

It's a nice sunny day, today. I had a few adolescents, who didn't go on the camping trip come in my room and they stacked the desks and chairs, emptied some boxes, rewashed some dishes and swept the floor. My room is pretty much done. I have a few things to put away, put I can't do it until the electrical is done. Two new outlets, no more everything crowded at the back of the room where the power strip on the wall is, or at the front where the one outlet is. Well time to go, I'll try to write more this evening when I'm off work.

11. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

So sorry to hear of your fall and no doubt your painful hip @Pacnorwest . You should really take it a bit easy ( I know..easier said than done) and let any bumps and bruises heal.
    As I age I find it takes a bit longer to recover from such knocks.
    A couple of months back I got thrown down the whole length of a bus when the driver had to do an emergency stop. I got a good battering . The bus had to be emptied and passengers were transferred onto another one and I ended up in hospital. Thankfully no broken bones but I did hit my head hard and had double vision, giddiness and a thumping headache for a week + a huge bump on my head. The force of the throw and landing flat out on the floor is felt in my lower joints and back today still.

Be as kind as possible to yourself and let your body heal.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Don’t damage the goods, Pac. You be careful now.

Logan, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti good advice. Little by little important things are taken care of and the rest can wait. Besides I can brag about my trip & fall as I always do my own stunts .

As the bus incident unfolded , your injuries were life changing. It is very difficult when injuries take a toll on our well being for ever. So sorry that happened to you. It’s a life of adjustments as we age.

Sjoerd thank you …never damaged goods…I may be a little defective but not totally in need of repair.

Logan, Sjoerd, Oreti and 1 other person like this.
  14. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am still waiting on the new string for the trimmer to arrive. I hope to mow tomorrow at least.

Yesterday, I bought another tomato plant--Big Beef--and planted it last evening. We had some rain overnight, so that helped it.

Today, I did get some more seeds planted:

more marigold seeds, because many of my other marigold seeds have not yet sprouted.

some kind of old fashioned flower mix seeds in the tub where previous ones drowned.

2 of 3 birdhouse gourd seeds have sprouted so far.

some gypsophila in pots in my berry patch. I mistook it for sweet alysum, which attracts a little wasp that parasitizes tomato horn worms.

I planted the rest of my sunflower seeds around the garden. Some in a large bucket that has no bottom; the rest scattered around with my corn, and cukes, and beans, just wherever I can stake them on posts already there.

Otherwise, I worked indoors most of the day.

My black eyed susans are blooming. My tall spiderworts are still blooming, and probably will most of the summer.

The lettuce is sprouting nicely. The raspberries are doing well.

Logan, Sjoerd, Oreti and 2 others like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

AAnightowl you have been buzzy. Got a lot accomplished . Sounds like you have a good start with a veggie garden and some fav flowers. String trimmers are a good thing in my garden . Can always get to areas other tools can’t.

Logan, AAnightowl, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.