What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle…good to hear, ms Pac. Sometimes I worry about my colleagues on here.

AA— you have some good choices there. BTW, doesn’t that tub have holes in its bottom? What a shame that your other plants drowned.

Logan, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am heading outdoors... :)

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Yes, it has holes. No idea why it did not drain properly. But I added some more holes, and it seems fine now. I use my drill and make holes if needed in my containers.

I got one of those garden augers for my drill recently, and it works great.

4. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Finished cutting the remaining old and tatty Hellebore leaves this afternoon, surprising the spaces that are now freed up to plant out. :smt041

Had to do a lot of watering as it's so very dry everywhere.

Picked our first bowl of Strawberries and had them with Greek Yogurt. Yum,yum !

Filled all the water trays that the Hostas are standing in , that are normally brilliant at stopping the Slugs and Snails. I think they've all had swimming lessons this year as some of the leaves have been munched at.:(.

Watered the Lettuces and fed the Tomatoes , Cucumbers , Strawberries and Blueberries.

Had planned to plant out some of the few remaining plants but tonight our temps. are dipping to 6C and I thought it might be too much of shock to the poor plants.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Pacnorwest so sorry to hear about your fall and glad that you are recovering well.

I decided to have a rest today from planting, my legs are aching so much but i had to wash my hair, so that's what i did but back to it tomorrow.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A few hours in the lottie and I strimmed until the batteries were empty.
    I mowed the grass paths and strimmed their edges.
    Here a pic:
    IMG_4017.jpeg

Jewell, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

"...flowers have always spoken to the mind attuned to receive their message. And it is noteworthy that the thoughts they have suggested have been invariably beautiful ones - the common, the degraded, the impure has no part in the inspiration of flowers.
    "But though all the world cares for them and is touched by them it is not given to everyone to be able to express in words the emotions they evoke, so this little Anthology is an attempt to bring together some of the thoughts that they have suggested to those who are past masters in the art of expression, in the hope that they may voice the unspoken love, the half-acknowledged aspirations of those who, though equally true lovers of the flowers, now walk in silence among them."

~ G. Clarke Nuttall

Gertrude Clarke Nuttall (15 August 1867 – 4 May 1929) was a British botanist and science writer. She was one of the first women to take a degree in botany.

Todays garden walk about.

‘Bees on the flowering Hebe.
    IMG_0309.jpeg

Todays Pickens
    Peony's pink and white. White double flowers azaleas. Variegated leaf and flower used in floral arrangements.
    IMG_0321.jpeg

Climbing Hydrangea .
    IMG_0301.jpeg

Hardy geraniums.
    IMG_0319.jpeg

Clematis growing in the climbing roses and shrubs.
    IMG_0315.jpeg

@Logan thank you for your well wishes. Much better today still a bit sore and slow but as you can see from my post nothing stops me from walking thru the garden spotting new blooms, bees under the gorgeous blue skies of today.

Jewell, Clay_22, Logan and 3 others like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wonderful posting Pac. Dazzling colours and sorts, I’m glad that you can get around well enough to get out, take fotos and keep an eye on your blooms.
    How is that hip doing?

That is a head-scratcher, AA. Good idea that you put extra holes in that container. Do you also place pot chards over the bottom? …and set it on something small, just enough to keep the bottom off the ground?

Oreti— you have been busy, haven’t you. The temps over here are going down as well. It is actually too cold for most plants, but not the peas…they’re doing very well.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd thank you for the complimentary review of today’s walk about garden blooms.
    Hip is much better walking a bit slower but healing much faster than expected.

Temps in the 80’s today higher than usual…brought out lots of bees, bugs and some not so great bugs. But feeling the bright sun and soaking up Vit-D is an enjoyable experience.

Logan, Sjoerd and AAnightowl like this.
  10. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Very neat and tidy allotment @Sjoerd, so well laid out. All your crops look great too and very healthy. :):like:

Sjoerd, AAnightowl and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Happy to read that you're healing well @Pacnorwest and that you're taking things at a slower pace to allow for a steady recovery.

It warms the heart to see the beneficial wild life visiting our gardens...a sure sign we're doings things right. :setc_083:
    Lovely vibrant colours you have there, beautiful.

12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti thank you . You always say the nicest things and always encouraging. Yes bees are positively a good sign.

Oreti, Sjoerd and AAnightowl like this.
  13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I was out mowing this afternoon. We had some rain early, but not much so I could still mow. I got most of it done, and will try to finish tomorrow. I am still waiting on the trimmer string to be delivered.

Last night while taking my dogs for their bedtime walk, I saw a two striped kitty--a skunk near my shed. Not sure what they are called where you all are, but here their one nickname is a polecat, or a dirty polecat if you want to be derogatory. At first I mistook it for one of my cats, but that cat was laying by my front porch. North America as at least 11 varieties of skunks that I have heard of.

While I was mowing my yard this afternoon, I came across some odd poop. I asked my friend when she dropped something off for me, and she said it was bear poop. We do have bear and many other kinds of wildlife here. It was close to my bedroom window too... I showed it to my dogs so they would know one was in the neighborhood. One of my neighbors has a deer cam, and also puts out feed for the deer. It videos all the animals that come around her yard at night.

The "green hair" leeks and other onions seem to be fine. The other things are growing well. I found a few zinnias blooming this afternoon.

@Pacnorwest, glad you are on the mend. I guess I missed your fall. I always hate it when I fall.

Logan, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac— that sounds wonderful. You make it sound so good to feel the sun on your skin. I agree. The main news is though, that you are on the mend. That is really good to hear.

Oreti— thanks for the nice comments on the veggie half of the allotment. The flower garden is not so tidy by comparison.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

AAnightowl Bear scat spotted by your window. A bit too close for comfort. Neighbors to stop feeding wildlife it could be attracting the bear .
    Maybe take a pic of the bear scat and send it to the dept of fish and wildlife. We had a bob cat and they sent out a trapper who found the cats trail in the woods . Never caught it though.

One thing we don’t have here are skunks. Thank goodness. Lots of opossums in spring , bears, deer, elk, bob cats
    And coyotes just to name a few.

Thank you for you well wishes. Much appreciated.

Logan, AAnightowl and Oreti like this.