What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Everything is looking good in the greenhouse Carolyn! I was able to do a little bit of raking out in the yard yesterday. The ground is usually still frozen this time of year, but we have had mild temperatures and I was able to edge 2 small gardens and weed a little! I hope I can get outside again today and edge the back garden, and turn the compost pile. It felt so good to be out playing in the dirt again! Now I am wondering if it is too early to plant a few things ... some of my seed packets say to plant as soon as the ground can be worked and I am definitely able to work the ground!

carolyn likes this.
  2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Nettie, be prepared to cover in case of frost in early May.

Carolyn, your growing looks a bit TOO work heavy for me. LOL I fear I'm a lazy gardener. Your seedlings do look great.

Our garlic is looking healthy.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I cleaned out the north shade bed, got Caladium bulbs, Hosta roots and Coleus planted. And I went ahead and scraped up the fallen leaves, it looks so much better. Next winter I really need to put down more mulch out there. I want new fencing too but haven't found the right one yet.

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Toni, have you used chicken wire fencing?

Advertisement
  5. toni

I live in the city, no chickens here. I am looking for decorative fencing, the one I have out there now has taken a beating from falling pecan branches over the years and some sections are starting to bend over and then they break when I try to bend them back into place.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

This is the easy part. Harvesting is the work, but that is okay. I started doing this to remodel my kitchen... which I got finished (mostly) this Winter. so, now.. we need a corn planter that is next, but we also need to start replacing things around here... the roof primarily.. then on to the things such as a furnace and water heater.. etc. These things are wearing out and so I'll keep doing this to accomplish those things... THEN hopefully there will still be body left in me to do it for fun.

Glad your garlic is doing well, I haven't even checked mine.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It is always so inspiring to see your set-up, C.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm looking a the white stuff again and more predicted over the next few days. Everyone seems to be busy cleaning up flowerbeds and planting vegetables. We did get a lot of clean up done when we a couple of warm days. I'm starting to set up my seed growing area so I can get my tomatoes and broccoli seeds started.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Where to start??? Well, let me begin with a ....groan, then.
    We did lots of little preparation chores in the veggie and flower gardens.

We worked for an hour and a half chipping twigs with the rented wood chipper for the gardening club. The agreement was that folks taking wood chips for their lotties would donate 30 mins of their time...otherwise folks could come by the chipping area and just work for as long as they wanted for the good of the Club.
    Our club supplied wheelbarrows, shovels and hearing protection.
    That was hard and stuffy work as well as the noise and exhaust from the chipper motor to endure. hahaha. I'm really moaning now, aren't I.
    Well, it is true though, that one must constantly be alert when chipping because that powerful machine can easily suck your hand and arm right into the works. It is not work for a laid-back daydreamer.
    I could see how accidents could happen--for instance when stuffing twigs and so forth into the machine...at times it would not take it down. One has the urge to reach down into that hopper and sort the blockage out. WRONG. Because when the machine does catch the twig, it sucks it down hard and fast--It is a path of no return, if you get what I mean.

I had an uncle that lost an arm whilst bailing hay on his own. It was a drama. I heard this story once when the adults were talking. I suppose that every family has its sagas.

10. toni

I'm not groaning but I am doing a lot of oww, ouch, grunting (when I try to stand up) and have a great feeling of relief when I sit down and put my feet up.
    Finished the clean up of the shade bed, still need to get the Lemon Balm and some Lamb's Ear transplanted into it.
    Worked a bit on the north sunny bed, then realized that the H***Strip wildflower bed needed to be weeded.....Galium aparine (Sticky-willy, Goose Grass, Catchweed Bedstraw) is having way too much fun in that almost barren section of land. But there are several good sized plants coming along nicely from the seeds I put down last fall before covering it with mulch. I have a Yucca glauca (Soapweed, Yucca), a couple Caryopteris X clandonensis (Caryopteris, Blue Mist Spirea, Longwood Blue) waiting to join them and I have more seeds to put out there to attract bees.

11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

LOL Toni, I don't have chickens, but chicken wire fencing keeps small animals out of the garden. We bury about a foot of wire to keep the critters from digging under.

Sjoerd, you made me remember the movie, Fargo. I will only say a wood chipper was involved.

Nothing doing in the yard nor garden this week. We had lots of rain which means too wet for digging.

12. toni

Growing, what I like especially about where I live is that we don't have small animals trying to burrow under the fence into the garden or anywhere else. And we don't have deer or rabbits to contend with either......just neighbors who don't know how to be a responsible pet owner and let their cats run wild.
    We do have lots of worms and they are always welcome.:)

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Ah Toni, we too have the stray cat problem. I resorted to tossing thinly sliced lemon peels in the garden area. Supposed to keep cats away.
    Yes to worms. We even bought a few to add to our garden soil. :)

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The neighbor kid (at least 1/2 mile away) showed up looking for something to do. At first I thought.. nope!, but as I stood there planting begonias I thought... oh... tomato cages... cha ching! I thought if I kept him busy he wasn't getting into trouble somewhere else. So he used my bolt cutters and shortened almost 60 tomato cages for me. I put them around potted tomatoes and sell them with fruit on them in May. He did almost enough to finish up my pots.

I potted up about 100 anglewing begonias I started from cuttings

watered a few things and came in to make supper.

Netty likes this.
  15. kate

kate In Flower

Watered and fed my new rose.
    K