What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie— those verbonar’s are about the same as mine. Your potted-up bloomers look so cozy there.

Oreti, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd that's good about your verbonar's and thank you.

Oreti, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Mowed weeded, spot sprayed. String trimmed. Set a new trap for new mole.
    A couple more peony’s open up today.

Peony ‘Dayton’ .
    IMG_0443.jpeg

Group pic. Peony ‘Hot Choclate’-dark red
    Shrub Peony light pink no name .
    Wild onion - Allium stellatum
    IMG_0448.jpeg

Peony ‘Festiva Maxima’ and ‘Hot Chocolate’ .
    IMG_0447.jpeg

Clematis ‘ The President ‘
    IMG_0450.jpeg

‘Russel’ Lupines
    IMG_0452.jpeg

Mini Rose ‘ Happy Trails ‘ and no black spot. :smt041
    IMG_0422.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    AAnightowl, Logan, Jewell and 6 others like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Logan very nice group of plants planted in your planters lookin good.:smt041

Logan and Oreti like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Stunning displays and plots, Pac.Just simply stunning.

6. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Agree with Sjoerd, absolutely fantastic pics @Pacnorwest .

Logan likes this.
  7. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

After the grocery shop this morning I had a gentle weeding session this afternoon. Had to go very carefully...mainly on my hands and knees as my whole back has decided to misbehave very badly today. Not happy ! :(

AAnightowl, Logan, Kay and 2 others like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Weeded a section near the weeping cheery tree - front side garden. Weeds all of a sudden have simply carpeted some of the flower beds.

.Set a couple mole traps in two new places - pasture and caught 3 moles this week so far.
    Mowed….mowed…. and mowed . No deer scat thruout the entire pasture. Getting a bit leary since the hydrangea in the front garden have no fence are setting bud. Will put out some Plantskyyd soon just to be on the safe side.
    Found a mole tunnel in the tree section of the back garden - set a trap. UGH!

Then watered and lined up edges in the back garden after string trimming the lawn area and other sections in the back and side gardens. Filled the water lily pond it has sprung a leak in a quandary about how to repair it, not sure how to fix it. The hardy water lilies have been there for 25 years. It will bloom in another week or two if I can keep the muck wet enough.

Watered the planters on the patios and the illuminated patunia is still lighting up at dusk. It has grown and will get a pic tonite of the white petunia’s glowing usually around dusk.

9. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Thank you pac! We’ve had fun creating this out of a dying tree. I’m on the hunt for little additions to add for the Gnome’s garden.

10. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

That's the trouble now Pac, the weeds have sprung into life and seen set for garden dominance. It's a never ending job. It's great living in the countryside and being surrounded by woodland and fields but oh the seeds that are blown in on the breeze!! :eek:

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Kay you’re welcome. I can’t wait to see what else will be added to the Gnome home. There are so many tiny lil mini accents around… just google. So cute and adorable.

Oreti yes the weed seeds have sprouted everywhere. The gophers and the moles help churn up the soil spreading seeds as well as those wind currents that carry all sorts of weed seeds 24/7. At least I can see most of my plants now. Geezzz.
    Plz take it easy.. there are all those new limitations we are adjusting to. I am glad your still out side in your garden with just a gentle weeding session.

I was out under the weeping elm tree trimming it like a high skirt to see under and past into the garden area beyond. I came in the house and felt a lil tickle on my neck and just flipped that area and a huge black spider landed on my wrist. Yikes wasn’t expecting that at all… no kidding it was as big as a quarter. I just hate it when that happen. It was a good spider not poisonous. But still I’m gonna be itching all night. Took a shower and feel a lil better it just gives me the creeps.
    So beware the spiders are out big time creeping around everywhere. Across the garden paths, under trees and guarding their fav spot to catch insects. Ok enough of my lil horror story experience. Cheers .

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    Nate77, Logan and Oreti like this.
  12. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

I'm not that keen on spiders either but I can't really figure out why as we don't have any poisonous ones to my knowledge. I think it's probably down to their unpredictable movements. They scamper this way and that and then suddenly disappear only to pop out again when we're least expecting them too.
    I take it that you do have poisonous ones then Pac....yikes that's scary then.:eek::(

Nate77, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Pacnorwest you grow such amazing beautiful flowers. Really beautiful.

Today I sort of told everyone that the old man wants to be left alone for a day in his garden. So that's what happened. I didn't do any heavy work, but got some things done.

Oops I hit the post button by accident. More to follow.

AAnightowl, Nate77, Logan and 2 others like this.
  14. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

There was some looking around the orchard. Here are some of the apple grafts
    IMG_8060.jpeg IMG_8079.jpeg IMG_8077.jpeg

The majority of them took. I removed the pressure bandages so they would not girdle the new graft unions. Most have good callous at the graft unions, and a foot or more of growth, so they are fully healed and vigorous. Over a year or two, the graft unions will disappear as new growth expands the branches.

The ginkgo grafts did not take. What a difficult tree for me to graft!

I planted the first batch of French marigold seedlings into a big planter. These are my own variety, originating with a volunteer in the vegetable garden and I save the seeds each year. It's bit large growing for French marigold. but I like it.

IMG_8134.jpeg

Also some seedlings of the Alumia Vanilla Cream marigold. I keep calling it the Aluminum marigold.
    IMG_8137.jpeg

Then I divided the Sclumbergera seedlings that I started this winter.

IMG_8131.jpeg IMG_8142.jpeg

There are four pots of three seedlings each, plus one for all of the less vigorous ones.

I divided the most crowded cell of Alpine strawberry seedlings.

IMG_8097.jpeg

I used cell packs with eight cells. One pack got 2 seedlings per cell, the other got one seedling per cell.

IMG_8114.jpeg

What will I do with the rest? Fortunately I have someone who wants them, They need dividing and more growing, first.

I cut the runners off of the Ozark Beauty strawberries but I am letting them bloom now.There are a few flower buds. I cut off a bunch during the past two weeks.

My tomatoes have a tiny black pest. Black aphid beetle, maybe?
    IMG_8073.jpeg

Worse on some plants than others. Also on succulent new growth of some of the apple trees. For the tomatoes, I sprayed today with a peppermint neem spray. It could get expensive, so I ordered some neem concentrate to mix myself.

AAnightowl, Logan, Oreti and 2 others like this.
  15. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    A little weeding, a little bush trimming, filling in dog dug holes. Enjoying the mix of spring weather.

AAnightowl, Logan, Oreti and 2 others like this.