What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Sjoerd , what are "tutteplantjes"? I guess "plantjes" are plants, but no idea on the other word.

We had almost 8 inches of rain yesterday before it quit, so things are still soggy.

I might get out and do some weeding, but I have an early meeting to attend, so may not make it out there. There is so much to do that it is difficult to choose what to do next.

I saw a post once that said there are more than 70K edible plants in the world. I cannot find it to share. I am sure my books do not list all of them, but it is nice to know some of them. That post is probably in my old computer that no longer boots up. I already know some not on their list. There is a place in the back for notes, so I am putting notes back there.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

AA— I wish I had a good translation for you. You are correct that plantjes mean plants. Tutte refers prissyness, I guess you’d say. I wish I knew a good word to use. There are some terms in Dutch for which there is no english translation. I hope that at some point I can come up with a good English word. Hopefully you can imagine what I am trying to say. I apologise for being so unclear.

3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I tried googling tutteplantjes but it doesn't come up with anything.
    Sjoerd have you got a pic please?

4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Ok got it.. a fancy Dutch way of saying a fancy garden with amazing views, flowers and a peristylum.
    Courtyard laid out as English gardens which are planted in geometric shapes and designs in contrasting color, all to wow the viewer.

Jewell, AAnightowl, Logan and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I have my battery operated lawn mower back now. It's very light, and quiet. I celebrated by mowing the grass around the tutteplantjes. Easier than the string trimmer and less hassle and noise than the riding mower. That was 530am, when it was cool outside.

Actually they're not all that tutte. But nicer with the grass mowed. Next, some of the orchard. The tutte fruities LOL.

I dead-headed and watered. Too hot

Also up-potted the lavender and rosemary plants. They smell very good.

6. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I sprayed my sun protection, plopped my hat on and braved the heat. I'm sure some of you have it worse than me, I think it was mid 80's (F).
    I pulled all the corn out of one small bed and the squash out of another. Tomorrow I'll plant some baby eggplants, green zucchini and paddy-pan
    squash. I realize Summer is half over, but our growing season is lengthy. I am now feeling all those mussels I'd forgotten about. :confused:

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well done Daniel. Working in the coolness is such good planning. Congrats on that mower. I had to chuckle at your reference to tutteplantjes. Thanks for the vid, that goes back.

4G—good to you again. I am jealous of your growing season.

8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Just getting ready to spray the pastures for dandelion invasion. It’s a cool calm no wind morning.

9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I did some of my mowing this afternoon with the push. I use that in rough areas where the rider should not go. I was going to do the rest of the mowing with the rider, but was done with that heat. It was close to 90F today. The grass was still very wet this morning, so I had to wait on the mowing. I did odds n ends indoors this morning.

Melody Mc., Logan, Jewell and 2 others like this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today was my last (ha ha, but I can dream :fingerscrossed:) cleaning and handyman for the old place. Plus I made a week supply of dog food. So, gardening was just watering.

Looking forward to more garden time as weather and my body permit:smt117

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mind how you go, mate. You have a lot on your plate, don’t you. I’ll tell you what though—I, for one am ready to see more pics of the things you are growing.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We made a new batch of comfrey tea and put the last of the old juice and dregs I placed around the cucumbers and courgettes. It is very wet here today.

13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Mostly, just, "maintenance."

Pruned wisterias

[​IMG]

Mowed the lawn. Got it all done before it rained.

[​IMG]

But I did sort out both hedgehog houses. Neither are occupied at the moment, although we get at least three that visit for the food I put out, as I've caught them on one of the trail/cams.

I cleaned out both houses, sprayed them with Nutradol to remove any smell of previous occupants and added fresh hay.

The one near the doorway in the fence was a pain where it was, as the rhodos which have grown, made it difficult to access and if I wanted to put food near it when it was raining, I got wet from brushing past them and the quince on the fence.

So I moved it to near the tea-house. I had to make the food inaccessible to neighbours' cats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can put the food in under the roof with the retriever the hospital gave me after my hip replacement operation fifteen years ago.

Despite the black spot, we've still some nice roses.

[​IMG]

and the Acer Palmatum Taylor, which was looking a bit sick earlier in the year, is doing very well.

"> [​IMG]

14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

DHR …Looks like you have maintained your garden and decor extraordinarily well over the years. Every time I see your garden pics I am always reminded of your expertise and appreciate you sharing all your knowledge, plants and gardens , both front and back. It’s the time of year for all your hard work to shine as the plants, flowers and tea house all take center stage. You’ve got skills. I learn something new every time I see a tour .:smt041:smt023

i see you have joined the ‘Hippie Club’ 15 years ago. And welcome to the hip replacement group. I have had 3 hip joint replacements even though I only have 2 hips. The parts were recalled on one hip 7 years ago. Still movin and groovin.
    A well established surgery since the 1960’s that gives new life to so many.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    Melody Mc., Logan, AAnightowl and 3 others like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Today I was out early to beat the heat wave. Managed to trim the shrubs across 40’ front of the property.
    Bumped into a couple of deer trying to access the wild blackberry’s. I chased them off with my battery op 4’ edger. Racing after them in hot pursuit .

Clipped the prickley pear thistles Cirsium, Carduus, Echinops, out of the garden where a huge patch was taking over. I keep a small patch for the beneficial insects, the humming bird moth.
    IMG_1611.jpeg

Pic of prickley pear thistles in Oregon.
    IMG_1613.jpeg

Some close up pics of thistle bloom they look very close to some of my cactus dahlias.
    IMG_1610.jpeg

Now a new perennial weed enemy has emerged from the garden. Lathyrus ‘Everlasting ‘Sweetpea’. Sprawling from a single root. Stems and branchs with tendrils that twine around every thing in its path. The wild flowers of the sweetpeas is another road side weed that pops up every season from under thick layers of ground the cover plants
    called Vinca Rosa in the garden.
    IMG_1609.jpeg

Patrolled the pastures and no signs of the enemy popping up or new tunnel construction. :smt023

The hawks have a great view of the pastureland as they were out squawking to one another during their
    reconnaissance flights.
    Pic of Oregon Hawk in the PNW . This pic from a quaking Aspen tree in the garden.
    IMG_1614.jpeg

Some new activity in a section of the garden by the greenhouse-the chipmonks and western grey squirrels. Sprayed more of the garden hort mint spray. Really works to keep them from digging around the foundation of the house barn and the ‘SHE’ shed.
    Pic of the chipmonks in the garden. Oregon chipmonks or Least chipmonks (Tamias Minimus).
    A huge pain in the caboose…if ya get my drift…
    IMG_1615.jpeg

Weatern grey squirrel
    Sciurus griseus

P1000050.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024