What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, GP--you almost got it right.
    Step 1---I remove the 2015 soil from the greenhouse. (see: http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/spring-work-in-the-garden.36792/ )
    Step 2---I dig a trench in the garden and use the soil from the trench to mix with compost...then place THAT mixture in the greenhouse. The greenhouse is then finished--ready.
    Step 3---The empty trench in the garden is then filled with the old 2015 soil out of the greenhouse.

I apologise for the unclear explanation. I guess that that partially comes from the fact that my comments were fragmented and were written in two separate threads--this one and an earlier one on this past tuesday.

If it still isn't clear to you, don't be shy-- just ask me again and I will try again to answer you patently.

2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, that explains it clearly. I now have one question. How deep do you remove greenhouse soil?

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

it's cloudy dreary with high humidity and very windy good couch tater day but I managed to pick four big heavy grocery bags of loquat plums so far. May go get some more later. Still haven't gotten out the ladder for the top of the trees maybe tomorrow.

4. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

I got 6 big heavy bags picked and thats enough for today. Peggy is peeling pitting and sorting as we go.

zuzu's petals and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Growing pains-- ~25-26 cms. (±10 inches)...sometimes a bit more---12 inches.
    I remove more than I deem necessary so that the toms will have plenty of room to send out feeder roots.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

comp2.jpg

Didn´t do much in the lottie today other than shifting all those bags of compost. One thing that we did do though, was to dig up a tree to give to the neighbour lady. She is crazy about Vibernum, and we need a place for a new plum tree. At least I will be able to see and smell that tree, as it goes to the across-the-path neighbour lady. It is just beginning to bloom.

The one that I am looking to pick up is the Mirabelle de Nancy. Tomorrow I shall pop out to the bush and tree garden centre and see if they are in stock. Should they fail to have it in stock, I have a list.;)
    Bleu de Belgique is my second choice.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  7. kate

kate In Flower

Fritillarias look smahing Sjoerd. Like me you have holes so i am with good company. I have not seen the RLB but its bound to be around. I did last year buy three Fritillaria, orange, red, yellow.
    Mine smell very strong of Garlic, I would have thought that be enough to keep the Beetles away.
    It looks like your using the same ties I do, is it wire on the inside?
    Your garden work will pay dividends.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mate, I use all manner of ties. I do have some that are wire and plastified (is that a word)?
    The Frits are growing by leaps and bounds here...and I have been on the lookout for those little beasts. Actually we have such a mean climate here that I fear the weather more than the beetles--that tells you something, doesn´t it.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Picked up almost all of the plastic mulch from last year. Late I know, but family life got in the way of the cleaning up and putting it all to bed for Winter. Being gone all day everyday for weeks on end is not conducive to working around the house/garden. maybe it will get back to more normal than I expect, but I don't really think so.

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I start a flat of seeds yesterday. Tomatoes, Blue Angelina, Emerald Dichondra, and Cora Vinca.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not much for the last few days, too much cold wind that gives me sinus headaches, so my gardening has been on hold. But tomorrow is going to be much better. Then I have a lot to catch up on, we bought bags of mulch and potting soil so I can get some pots planted and finish covering the worst part of the back yard.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

tuin3.jpg

I got that new plum tree planted. I took this foto in a bit of a rush, sorry that you can't see it too well. It is the "Bleu de Belgique", my second choice.

I picked up some inexpensive things to plant:
    tuin2.jpg
    I am looking forward to a break in the weather to plant these.
    Whilst digging that hole to plant the new plum, I noticed that my willow tree broke out into bloom. It is a male willow, see the pollen packets on the katjes?
    tuin.jpg

When the weather improves in terms of dryness and warmth...the bees ought to be all over them.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Some great buys there Sjoerd! I have been looking for red phlox for the past few years - I think my Hummingbirds would go CRAZY for it! I'd better start keeping my eyes open for some. If only someone would make a variegated red phlox, now THAT would be something!

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That really WOULD be something, Netty. I would be near the head of the queue to buy the first ones. hahaha.
    I am hoping that the variegated Paniculata will work out oké. :fingerscrossed:

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'm going to stop reading this thread early in the morning. Hearing what Sjoerd, Netty, Carolyn, etc. have done tires me out and I'm useless for the rest of the day:setc_075:,
    We are putting up the trellises for the tomatoes today, and then I'll spend the rest of the day trying to convince myself that it's too early to plant them with 39 being predicted for tomorrow night. Anyone want to bet if the tomatoes go in the ground today?