What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Taken 8 cuttings of the trailing geraniums, that's how many i need for the baskets next year but I'll have to take some more just in case.

2. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I planted the ground-cover manzanita today. Not much else, just watering.

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I was out for 3 hours doing squirrel push ups. Ya all know the drill… up and down , back and forth, round and round, under shrubs and trees around the entire foundation of the house to wash the soil back in all the squirrel tunnels & holes. Sometimes a bunch of hazel nuts comes bubbling up from the storage underground facilities that major Dale and sargent Chip are using for storage. I see evidence they are slowing down their territory digs .
    will spry the areas with the dreaded squirrel away later.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Not sure when I popped in last. But Thursday, I mowed all afternoon and did not get it all done. I did some more mowing today. I still need to mow the path to my pond and cut up a tree that is down across the path. It is not a giant tree, but it might be medium sized. I was out planting onions and garlic in the morning on Thursday, and I finished planting my onions and garlic today. Some just got tossed into containers and my wild raspberries...

I want to plant some carrots and beets and some more broccoli for fall. I think those peas that went to seed will grow when the weather cools off. My cucumbers are done. I have a few tomatoes still out there, and the cantelope and watermelons seem good.

A neighbor came with his tractor and a fork thing on it and hauled the rest of the telepone pole pieces out back for me. Later they will get used for corner fence posts. It is too hot and dry to dig those big post holes, plus two of them will be in overgrown areas and I do not want to run into any snakes or poison ivy. At least I can get at more clean up out front where we had ditch work done last year soon. Most of the grass has grown back over the ditch work so the yard looks much better.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's raining and didn't do much yesterday but hubby bought some daffodils, fill a box for £5.99 got 2 boxes.
    IMG_20240902_115216_(864_x_486_pixel).jpg Hubby is putting together a bird table that we bought.

6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

You are working hard!

Daffodil bulbs. Fall is here!

Willowisp0801, Logan, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Logan, do you use rooting hormone for those? Do you start them in water or sand?

8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today mostly just watered a bit. It's not hot at all today.

I did set up a couple of lavender air layers. I have cuttings brewing but I don't know if they will take.

There are some low branches on this lavender plant that should work.

IMG_9564.jpeg

I drilled a large hole in small plant container, to pass the branch through the hole. Trimmed off leaves that would have been in the soil. Scraped off a strip of bark on one side. Wiped with some liquid rooting hormone. Then inserted the branch into the container. Filled with potting soil.

IMG_9570.jpeg

I set up two. It doesn't show, but they are still connected to the main plant, through the bottom of the pots.

9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Daniel W , interesting way to propigate plants.

I did do some watering today.

I was going to make the shelves for a cabinet I am fixing up. However, the cord to my saw got in the way... OOPS. I will buy a new cord as soon as I can. I will wait till later to work on those shelves. (and be more careful!)

10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I started outside early at sunrise doing squirrel push ups all the way round the foundation and several garden areas around the Chip and Dale invasion headquarters. I then sprayed squirrel away round the foundation and several squirrel bunkers. 3 hours later I also decided to spray the trees up several feet and branches the squirrels use as their main lookout posts .

By noon I was headed out to mow 7 acres of the pastures . It was a misty marine layer nice day to mow no dust hitting you in the face. But bumpy like riding a bucking bronco. And believe me done that too breaking in horses (many moons ago)…So today I came out unscathed no dusty face , cloths and no gophers, moles or deer yet invading the pastures. But a pesky huge rabbit was spotted digging under the barn. That can wait til tomorrow.

Then I decided to spray areas on the driveway to get rid of the moss with Wet and Forget . My sprayer was wonky so it took longer than expected. By that time it was 4:40 and I still needed to do the roof. But the dogs were barking and winning for dinner and snacks so I came in. Then showered fell asleep and woke up at 7;45 pm.

11. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Gosh Pac I'm exhausted just reading your post!!!!
    Take it easy, remember that you were laid up a few weeks ago and we don't want that to happen again.:like::fingerscrossed:

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oh boy I hear ya. Exactly what I was thinkin. What was I doing ?
    it seems that every once in awhile I get a burst of energy and take it slow & easy utilize rests - breaks , and try not to over do. I don’t want to end up injured. I have to keep telling myself I know my limitations . Just stop ! I’ll feel this in the morning. Tylenol where are you?

13. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Take care Pac.

14. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

My every day task now is Acorn sweeping up....my most dreaded task as it goes on for months on end!!

My main focus in on our 3 paved patios as the combination of Acorn and patio slabs makes for a lethal one...liken to wearing Roller Skates!!:eek::confused:.
    I would be devastated it anyone visiting came a cropper or worse still broke a leg!!!

So that has been my task so far this morning.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac— it sounds like exciting work there in your garden. They say exercise is good for you, but one day you may adapt the motto: “Made for comfort, not speed”. I’m with Oreti— be careful and take it easy.
    Are these words falling on deaf ears? Ha ha ha.

Daniel— good luck with those lavenders. Fingers crossed here.