What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bushing out— that’s when they take on really interesting forms/characters.

2. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I potted up another young rose, grown from a hardwood cutting that I stuck into a vegetable bed last fall. I can't find a photo of the flower. I think it's an antique variety.

IMG_9630.jpeg

I washed off the roots, so the growth medium will have a uniform consistency.

I'm surprised how few roots it has, with so much top growth.

IMG_9631.jpeg

For my own purposes, I named it "Rose mystérieuse parfumée" because it's fragrant and a mystery.

I clipped the growth tips so they won't wilt. I'll keep it in mild conditions for now.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Done like a pro, Daniel.
    That cutting looks very healthy.
    Will you leave it like it is or lop off a great portion of the growth?

Well, it is impressive, mate.

Willowisp0801, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, thank you! I'm not certain what is the best approach, I generally think that more leaves = more photosynthesis = better root establishment, up to a point. Also, now that it's fall, I don't want to stimulate tender new top growth. Decisions... I might remove about half, when it's dormant.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel— I was just wondering. Sometimes folks over chop most of the stems and leaves in order to stimulate root development especially during the winter. I have done that myself especially with transplanting bushes.

When it comes to leeks seedlings we use three techniques before planting them out. One is to trim off about a third of the roots only— to stimulate foliage growth and root multiplication. Two, clip off about ine third of the foliage to stimulate root development. Third , clip roots and foliage. I have tried them all. Now I do not trim anything and am happy with my harvests. Haha.

Well, I was just curious how folks over there did the roots. I am always interested in hearing how people do things and their reasoning.

Good luck with that beauty. I really like the name you gave it.

Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, I don't have an answer to that mystery. Here is my thought, for what it's worth.

Since the energy to make roots, comes from photosynthesis in the leaves, If we cut off the leaves, I don't understand where energy will come from.

Also, in fall, the nutrients in the leaves translocate into stems and roots, as the leaves age and fall off. So it feels to me like leaving the leaves in place, to fall when they age, would be better. Cutting them early would deprive the roots of that nutrition.

Where I would cut the top, is if the amount of roots is too small to bring water to the leaves, and they might wilt and die. So I think it makes sense if the roots are too small.

Also, some plants can be resilient and grow no matter what you do.

My plant is kind of leggy because I had it in a shady, crowded, garden bed. I might trim it back before they break dormancy, so the new growth will benefit from better sun and nutrition, and grow more sturdy and bushy.

I forget if I posted my other rose cutting, done at the same time. It has a more robust appearance.

IMG_9609.jpeg

IMG_9611.jpeg

(In the garage that day because it was hot outside. Now it's outside.)

Willowisp0801, Sjoerd, Logan and 2 others like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Hubby cut the pyracantha hedge and i helped to tidy it up to put in bags to take to the recycling centre tomorrow.

8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Collected the hydrangeas and placed them inside on a table to dry.
    IMG_3303.jpeg

IMG_3302.jpeg

IMG_3300.jpeg
    Bear’s breeches Acanthus mollis.
    IMG_3166.jpeg

Pee Gee hydrangeas H. paniculata IMG_2841.jpeg

IMG_2840.jpeg

Sunset
    IMG_2804.jpeg

Kay, Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Beautiful flowers, Pac.

In my garden, things are winding down. I started moving sad looking plants out of the patio garden. Not much need for watering in this weather now.

10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Have turned the water off in the gardens also. Rain has been a blessing the past few days. I hope the rain will help with the many wildfires burning along the west coast from California to Washington.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel— that was a great explanation and line of thinking.

Pac— you sure do some exceptional work with those displays.
    Breathtaking sunset.

Willowisp0801, Logan and Daniel W like this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd and Daniel Thank you for your kind comments . :)

What is so nice about hydrangeas they are super easy care, and they bloom in June thru July. The huge blooms stay as fresh as a daisy on the shrubs in many colors of the rainbow. In Sept time to pick and place inside to dry. They last inside for months once dried as they hold their shape and color. They are great holiday decorations. Hydrangeas are truly a garden flower that just keeps on giving thruout the entire season. :heart:

My daily chore : Three times a day I check the entire area the ground squirrels have infested so many areas now. Constantly watering soil back under multiple trees and shrubs and next to the foundation all the way around the entire house.
    Using squirrel products and plantskyyd products to deter them is not even slowing them time. Now 3 times a day run water thru soil mounds back into the roots around plants.

Time is running out … I finally ordered the Squirrelinator live trap that catches 5-10 or more in one large cage. The watering soil back in roots process takes 1&1/2 hour. Besides I can’t stop the chipmunks from getting on the roof. So just doing the best I can without calling a pest company.
    This is a serious infestation now they are around the entire foundation and thruout my entire garden threatening more plants, shrubs and trees. I have lost three trees so far and heartbroken since each of the trees were started from seedlings.

Stay tuned for the saga of the ‘New Saga of the Squirrelinator’ begins.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024 at 5:29 AM
    Kay, Willowisp0801, Logan and 2 others like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

So sorry to hear of your pests problems pac, I hope that it works.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Logan Thank you … it’s making me a bit anxious now with the cool rainy weather is happening so early this season. I also have tried the smoke bombs in the past on gophers. Not very successful. Ordered some today and want to try them on the cotton picken ground squirrels. I saw a video where a active tunnel is found and locating the tunnels direction. Then adds the smoke bomb to the tunnel and uses a leaf blower on low to push the smoke thru the tunnels faster before the squirrel has time to escape. I guess I should also add I need to cover the many holes every few inches first. My neighbor is coming to help me next week with his idea of squirrell elimination. Can’t wait to see what he has in mind. Just hope something works.

Willowisp0801 and Logan like this.
  15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Good luck Pacnorwest and you are welcome.

Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.