What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have more tomatoes to transplant today... one called Netty's Surprise....

Netty likes this.
  2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gee Carolyn, think it might rain on you? We never have seven days of rain predicted! You'll have time to enjoy your new kitchen, anyway.
    I went into town, delivered a bouquet of our roses to the new hair salon where my stylist is working, stopped by the feed store and caught up on the latest gossip/rumors/reportedly factual information, and grocery shopped.
    Husband is mowing, and I'm potting geraniums. I still have to figure out where to put the remaining seven tomato plants, and get the last of the parsley in the ground.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

naw! I have a greenhouse! although I did have a call for a baked item that my customer bought from my Dec market.. but I told her I don't ship nor could I guarantee it fresh. That would be a waste of money to get stale kuchen...gag. This takes about 4 hours of in house time to make... maybe I will just make some for something to do... naw. I'll go to the greenhouse, again. Today I went and bought ladybugs to release in there. They are soo cute.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I got my new plants potted up and laid some mulch down in the herb bed area. Then it got too hot for me so I came inside for a can of chrysanthemum tea.

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yay! I can't wait to see how they turn out for you Carolyn!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Me too.
    I wish that we could buy lady bugs here, they are so helpful.
    We have rain again here today. Darn it.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My very helpful and long-suffering husband helped me put up another tomato trellis for the cherry tomatoes. I promised him this was the last and I do hope I can keep that promise!
    The winds are up so I won't be planting any seeds today, but I may get the cherry tomatoes in, and then pot up some geraniums for the front entrance. When people come to the front door, they ought to see something other than weeds!
    We have sheets dancing on the line--just hope they don't cha-cha over the fence and into the pasture!:fingerscrossed:

9. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Nothing yet today but I saw online where some one posted a picture of a fig tree with baby figs on it. I dashed out to inspect ours and found no baby figlets but we do have baby lemons. Grapefruit, naval oranges, Satsuma oranges, and limes. Also baby nectarines and a banana flower. That's just in the fenced in half of our jungle of a a yard and just the tree list of that half.:)

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

In the last 2 days I have trimmed the winter die-back off, transplanted and divides a few plants and raked the leaves and pine cones out the beds plus did some pruning in the mixed shrub hedge. I think I'm going to be a little sore tomorrow. :(

11. CJay

CJay In Flower

Well yesterday afternoon I decided to risk tilling even after the rain and went to fire up the little front end tiller we found in the shed when we bought the place. Leaked fuel from the carb bowl. Ran to the parts store only to find out that the manufacture of that particular engine doesn't offer gaskets for the bowl. Ya have to buy the whole carb. So I traced the bowl on some cardboard and made my own gasket. Rubbed some oil on it and tried again to fire it up.

It ran. But the throttle cable broke. By the time I modified an old break cable from a junk bike we had it was dark.

And now that I know I should go to sleep I feel like I should go till the garden.

carolyn likes this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good on you CJay. Nice to hear of you doing it yourself. I have a son and husband for that. mechanical inclination somehow escapes me. My brothers are gifted, my brother in law is gifted, my son is gifted... what happened to me? My son and bil took the entire engine out of a duramax diesel pickup to fix the heads (or something, beats me everything was in bags on a table every part all the way to the frame of the truck)... my son never went through any schooling of any kind to learn it. he fixes our heavy equipment, he fixes my tractor... what happened to me? I think God knew Adrian was going to need it so he skipped me and gave it all to my youngest son.

Chrisle and CJay like this.
  13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It was yet another snowy day here, so I transplanted my tomato seedlings to bigger pots and planted flower seeds. It was the best I could do in a blizzard.

14. CJay

CJay In Flower

Different folks are good at different things.

Some people understand mechanics. Some people understand mathmatics. Take my littlest brother for example. He can dig into a computer and fix anything wrong with it. I can't hardly use Google to find addresses. But even given the fact that he was born into a family of mechanics and hunters and everything else outdoors and greasy he can't for the life of him figure out which way one gear will turn the other.

I was the first baby. Daddy's only daughter. He wanted to ensure I was able to do something. So he figured out how my mind worked and fostered it.

I wanted to be a physicist. But I suck at physics. I sure can fabricate anything anyone wants that's made out of metal or wood. Or fix anything that runs on coal wood or gas though.

Chrisle and carolyn like this.
  15. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

<much to our joy we discovered baby pomegranates on our dwarf tree. WE pulled up 2 big bunches of winter green onions that we didn't even know we had planted and divided them we got 30 bulbs for replanting and a couple zip bags of cut greens for the freezer. We replanted the bulbs in our small 4x6 herb garden box with some cuc seeds. We had to turnover rake and repeat a couple times adding compost and pulling weeds. It was fun replanting the bed with the smell of the blooming citrus filling the air.

Growingpains and carolyn like this.