What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

17272153876122713844277180027026.jpg

I have a miniature rose blooming!

Here's the drying rack I was telling you about, Daniel. Cost was less than $5. That was back when Dollar Tree items were still a dollar. Those are my potato bags hanging in the background. 17272154552666541933355601265563.jpg

Sjoerd, Doghouse Riley, Logan and 2 others like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Daniel W what a striking picture of gnomes .I almost want to grab a saddle and join them. :smt023

Sjoerd, Oreti and Logan like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Nice rose, Willow!

I thought about cutting herbs today to dry, but it's over 90 degrees out there. I did water and planted the second xeriscape plant from my order - a dwarf Kniphofia. They are in coir pots, so no root trauma on this hot day. Mostly, watered.

Here is another lavender I played with. It was in a corner that re-wilded and I'm starting to un-wild in good weather. I thought I would get most of the roots, but I sliced most of them off. Oops. So I pruned heavily, and potted in some potting soil.

IMG_9729.jpeg

It has new growth coming out all over! I don't know why so many websites and videos say you can't prune lavender back to woody growth.

It's late in the year for this one. I may overwinter it indoors.

Sjoerd, Willowisp0801, Oreti and 3 others like this.
  4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My black walnut tree that needs cut down is loaded like crazy with walnuts. I picked up nearly 18 pounds of early drops this afternoon. It is still a month or more before frost when they normally drop them, but I got the ones in the grass. I will get the ones in that overgrown flower bed after frost. I don't want to get into any snakes... The drops are still in their hulls, but no problem. The hulls are good to keep dogs and cats and chickens wormed. One could make brown dye with them also. I have several other black walnut trees. I have friends who spend winter evenings hulling and shelling their black walnuts.

I am also working on hemming that quilt this evening.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Not doing anything today, I've got a tummy bug and awake most of the night in the toilet, but hubby was there to clean up after me.

6. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Sorry to hear that Logan hope things improve, not nice.:( Take care.

Similar here too, I haven't been feeling 100% for the last week and felt so bad yesterday that I really couldn't face the world. Phoned our GP and was told to go in and see them. ,a few tests were ran and I apparently have a raging infection so am now on a course of antibiotics. Not doing anything in the garden here either but might pop out somewhere for lunch if I feel up to it to cheer ourselves up a bit.:fingerscrossed:

7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks Oreti hubby had to do the walks and River which he's still in training and sorry to hear that you're not well, i hope that you feel better soon and you can get out for a while.

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Willowisp0801 like this.
  8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

That was us last week. This week it's rainy and in the 60s, but going back up, in the 70s. Good luck with the lavender.

Someone near me has one. Silly squirrels keep peeling the green off and leaving it on my cement. It stains it dark. Hopefully it isn't really stained and will wash off with the winter weather.

Logan and Oreti, I hope you're better soon.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You had me on that one, Daniel.
    I honestly didn’t know that gnomes rode jackalopes. Y’know, we have kabouters here; I suspect that they are a sort of cousin race to the gnome. I will have to ask them if they know anything about that jackalope riding business. Now to try and find one to have a conversation with. They can be shy, you know.

p.s. Thanks for the Cistus info. I do like them very much.
    You can see the one that I grew on this old thread.
    https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/...and-the-first-strawberries.15173/#post-140059

Willowisp0801, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie— mate, you take care of yourself now. Sorry to hear about your little tum. I hope you will feel much better soon. Mind how you go.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Willow— that is a great drying rack. I really like improvised things like that. Chapeau.

12. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Black walnuts are so delicious! We had a black walnut tree on our family farm in NE Missouri. We would sit in the back yard cracking them with a hammer. They were worth it.

@Logan @Oreti get well soon
    IMG_2804.jpeg

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

NE Missouri? Was that anywhere near Hannibal by any chance.
    We have been to Hannibal to see Mark Twain’s boyhood home and the famous cave.

That was a very sweet get well image you made for Loggie. Very nice of you to do that. The pup looks like River to me.

14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Great AI get well card with River and abundant flower pic for our sick friends @Oreti and @Logan.
    Sending healing blessings your way and missed both your weather forecast this AM. First time you 2 were not there…Hope this passes son. Gentle Hugs.

Logan, Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.