What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Yesterday, I replaced a PIR security light on the front of the shed.

Today, either side of some shopping and attending to the laundry (and watching a bit of tennis and track cycling on TV) I did quite a bit in the gardens.
    I collected "a green bin-full" of leaves that have fallen off the big acer in the garden. A lot more yet to come down. Then it will get it's annual prune.

[​IMG]

I don't have to poke around under the azaleas to get at them, I can blow them to the back with my Grizzly garden vac. and then just sweep them up. I keep this part of the garden next to the fence I errected forty years ago which separates our garden from next door. Other houses have low post and panel fences, but I wanted something that doesn't notice as much.

[​IMG]

The leaves on the acer palmatums in the back garden are beginning to turn their "firey red" as they do every year. How red they will get depends on whether the frost holds off for a week or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gave the "bamboo forest" a bit of a trim. There was quite a bit of foliage drooping over.

[​IMG]

2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you @Oreti had it at the HQ Night 's pharmacy the jab wasn't too bad, it didn't hurt a lot doing it and just a bit tender. I had the flu one 2 weeks ago and that did hurt, it felt as if the needle hit the bone, had it done at Tesco pharmacy supermarket. At that time couldn't have the covid one it wasn't available for me at that time. I chose my right arm so that i could lay on my left side.
    Sorry that you had trouble with yours.

Pacnorwest, Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Ours went out at the beginning of summer. I already had tickets to visit back home in Washington State. So I told my granddaughter to pack what she was going to take and wear the anything else before we left. (Here the good sales are supposed to be in July.) Then one of the places had a really good sale early; so I went ahead and bought one. Including delivery it was only 2 weeks, but that was still quite a bit.

Logan, Pacnorwest and Doghouse Riley like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Yesterday I harvested the last of the Serrano and Jalapeño peppers. Then I pulled the plants, along with the old drying out basil plants.

I had been sort of dreading cleaning up the sauce tomato bed for planting garlic. Then it occurred to me, I should use the former pepper bed instead. It is built using eight 25-gallon fabric containers sitting on pavers, enclosed in a wooden frame made to look like a box. It has had two chili pepper crops, and no alliums before now. I can plant the same number of garlic cloves there, as in a similar dimension raised bed.

So I planted half of the intended garlic yesterday. If I can, I'll plant the other half today. That's the final big-work item that has a sense of urgency before winter sets in.

I also harvested a nice crop of green beans. It's probably the last of those, as well.

Pacnorwest and Doghouse Riley like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's been raining.

Oreti likes this.
  6. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Finished pulling up all the Glads. for overwintering.

Removed all the Lilly bulbs too and checked them all over ready for overwintering . They had got very congested in their pots so it was a job that was definitely needed !!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2024 at 9:31 PM
    Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

The autumn leaf colors are glowing in the afternoon sunshine. A real nice show this year. Usually a wind or rain storm comes along and blows all the leafs away . Sunshine this time of year is so Special. Enjoy your day.

IMG_4873.jpeg

IMG_4871.jpeg

The valley below pic from the east pasture.
    IMG_4858.jpeg

8. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

All fabulous pics @Pacnorwest , you certainly have the knack for framing your shots beautifully. :smt023

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Marvellous pics, Pac. Just like calendar images. It leaves me breathless.

Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

11. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Stunning!

Sjoerd, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today, I planted two more 25-gallon fabric containers with garlic cloves. It works out to 7 or 8 cloves per container, which is about what I plant per 4-foot row in a raised bed. Six of the eight planned containers are planted. Maybe the other two, tomorrow?

I smoothed the part of the border where I will place the old park bench. More shade than where it is now, and a better view. I put down some old sheets of black plastic, then laid the pavers. No permanent gravel layer under it. Not needed for this location.

I up-potted four rosemary cuttings that I started late this summer. They all had good root systems.

That's about all today.

13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Daniel W you always have several daily garden projects. I think you get a lot of exercise just from gardening. Not to mention a week chocked full of several different projects that keeps you in shape and also keeps those endorphin levels toward positivity. The important part of sharing your daily garden tasks and routines help encourage and inspire me, and most of the time I learn something new . Just wanted to express my thanks .

For…Today’s garden task, still on leaf duty during autumn season. All the deciduous leaves are falling. A chant comes to mind … “The leaves are falling. The leaves are falling. Hurry mulch the leaves, before they freeze, a snow is coming. ”

Sjoerd, Doghouse Riley and Oreti like this.
  14. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

@Daniel W , sounds like you've created a lovely seating area. Make sure you take some well deserved breaks from your gardening projects to relax and enjoy the beauty you have worked hard to create.:) :like:.

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Doghouse Riley like this.
  15. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Snap @Pacnorwest !!! I'm on leaf duty too today . Being on .....lets call it the damp side today :) I find them much easier to tackle as nothing is more annoying than collecting up a pile to then have a mischievous breeze redistribute them as soon as you turn your back to get the collection trug!!!!

I also have a long list of jobs waiting for me in the greenhouse too..So even if the rain doesn't ease up I will still have plenty to occupy my time with. :)

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Doghouse Riley like this.