What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, happy day! I dibbled (thank you Eileen for teaching me that word) around the potato plants and came up with six Yukon Golds, golf ball size or slightly larger. Then I picked our first peas, and more lettuce. Sunday dinner will be a grilled steak, steamed potatoes with peas, and a big lettuce salad.
    Despite the rain and mud, we do still have some vestiges of a vegetable garden left.

CJay and carolyn like this.
  2. CJay

CJay In Flower

Again I didn't accomplish anything in the garden. Tomorrow after the benefit ride I'm going to till the empty part of the garden again. Grass is growing in thick. Then plant the spinach

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Finished the grass paths. Planted some Thalictrum seeds.
    Made a rack for the capucijners.
    gras4.jpg

hummerbum likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

s, does anybody else spend as much time in their garden as you do?

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes--the mice, rats and moles do.:p

Probably not, No, hang on. Yes, there is a woman just up from us that spends more time in the garden then me, there may be a couple of more.

I know what you are thinking---"Hey Sjoerd, get a life". hahahaha.
    Well, C--you know how it is--when one is passionate, one sticks a lot into the things he is passionate about. I feel fortunate that I have the time and health do do just that.

Hey GP--I forgot to ask: what is "Bumpershoot"?

6. CJay

CJay In Flower

Yes. The grandfather of one of the guys we ride with spends litterally all day in his garden during the summer. He goes into town for breakfast before the sun comes up. Is in the garden at daybreak and only stops for water. Then goes back into town for dinner after dusk. There has not been a single time during the summer where I've been over there that he has not been in his garden.

He has the best onions in the world to show for it.

7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Good Morning Everyone, I've been a bit busy with my projects and enjoying watching the plants grow. I didn't realize how much I missed just sitting and dreaming with the plants and having those "conversations" with them. When you don't live in a house, you're forced to sometimes temporarily give up the hopes of planting again. After all of these years living in this apartment, no one time did I ever attempt to grow veggies. Those of you who know my story, know that this can be hard to your soul when you come from acres to no outside space with no warning. I has taken me literally 8 years to really want to start growing again but outside the box. Thank God for YouTube and other social media!! The possibilities are endless as to what you can grow inside with a bit of vision, which is what I have a lot of. Hubby saw the grow room earlier this week and said, I have got to get you a house with much yard or we may just have Jumanji going on in here. But he could see a difference in me, I'm happier and more relaxed that I've been in years. Always knew that I love growing from seed, but now it really takes on a new meaning living here. Our circumstances are changing and I can see us here for maybe one more year, so prayerfully, we will be moving into our home this time or a few months later next year!! Anywho, I wanted to show you all what I have been doing since last week. I did this last night and I am sooooo excited!!! I hope that you like them!! Oh I do have a question though. Should I transplant the tomatoes into pots now that they are blooming? If so, I'm doing that today. I'm going to put some bareroot strawberries in buckets today (hydroponics). Wish me luck!! From This #1.jpg To This #2.jpg Seedlings.jpg 4-24-16 First Mater Blossom (Patio Container).jpg 4-24-16 Mater Flower #2 (Another Blossom).jpg Windowsill.jpg

CJay likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would without any doubt or hesitation say---plant them on into another pot...or bag of soil. If they are blooming, then they ought to be in the situation where they will stay and produce for you.
    As soon as you see the first fruit...you can begin feeding them.

Get a wiggle on, Hummer! :)

hummerbum likes this.
  9. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks, Sjoerd....I'm wiggling!!!

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee,hee,hee.....
    Good onya.

I just wanted to let you know that I also do not live in a house. I live in a flat up in the air with only a small balcony. This is one reason that I spend so much time in my lottie. In the summertime I almost LIVE there.

I can only have enormous respect for what you do there at home and can certainly understand why.
    I have crossed fingers for you that you will be able to move next year. gardening in a flat is oké, but in the real ground will be better...as you know.

hummerbum likes this.
  11. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thank you so much Sjoerd....no balcony for me on the second floor.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My balcony is unbelievably small, but I used to grow my toms in commercial soil bags in one corner of the little balcony. It is too small to sit on and the fumes of the passing auto's is decidedly unpleasant.
    Anyway--your set-up looks great, meid. Chapeau.

hummerbum likes this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I cut all my chives this morning and spent an hour and a half cutting them into dehydrator size pieces and then I dried them. Whoo hoo! lots of chives!
    100_2009.JPG

This pan is 3" deep with dried chives and there are a few more on the one dehydrator left to dry. All bottled up. 3 qts. total.
    100_2012.JPG

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    hummerbum and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gosh Carolyn--that is quite a haul. Do you find that the chives retain a lot of flavour after dehydration? Good work, kid.

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yeah, it was a lot of chives to cut, but Kevin can eat chives but not onions so, I wanted a bunch of them for the cupboard. and if you freeze them after they are dried they retain their flavor much better, just don't over heat them or over dry them (I dried some in wire baskets with a paper towel on the bottom to keep it from dropping through at 170f with the oven door propped open with a thick hot pad, until they are dry... maybe an hour or so depending on how many you are drying and the others were dried in the dehydrators)... if they change color to a darker green they aren't very tasty, but nice bright green they are good.
    I may even dry more and put them in packets for my farmers markets come Summer...

hummerbum likes this.