What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Hi everyone, sorry Growing Pains...couldn't get back soon enough...was seriously under the weather....just about over what has been lingering for about a month and a half...Thank you Sjoerd for answering her question about the (I call them) hydro balls. They are very lightweight and easy to work with.
    This is what has kept me going....just wasn't strong enough to post the pics....Daughter is sending me a larger grow light for the plants in the window...tomatoes are now over 2 1/2 ft tall...

These are two of the mater from the window...I have a new grow light bulb over the area. Still have to move the fluorescent light.
    5-21-16 Rearranged 2.jpg

5-21-16: Moved 2 tomato plants. Experimenting with a cuc (on the bottom), kale in the tall folgers container and lettuce plant( in butter tub) in new homes in fish water only.
    5-21-16 Rearranged.jpg

On the right I used a lettuce container and styrofoam....lettuce & kale and of course it's time to eat the lettuce!!
    5-21-16 Kale, lettuce in lettuce container.jpg

Cuc blossoms...Small pickling variety..now what do I do? Am I supposed to hand-pollinate?
    5-21-16 Yay Cuc Flower(s).jpg

Strawberries, Watermelon (sugar baby) in 10 gallon tote with pump, Kale in cups

5-21-16 Strawberries, Watermelon (Kale in Cups).jpg

I'm still amazed that this is working. To see things growing again makes me smile!!!

Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

You need to hand pollinate a male flower to the female flower..unless you have a "sterile " variety for growing in the greenhouse/hydroponics which requires no pollination to make fruit. you just can't harvest the fruit to save seeds...

hummerbum likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are welcome for answering GP's question. I had real hesitations, about doing that...but after a couple of days I thought that perhaps you were on vacation or something. I am very sorry to hear that you have been under the weather. I hope that you go on and get well now. Colds and so forth are such useless things--they serve no purpose at all.

Your growing set-up there really is remarkable. Chapeau.

4. kate

kate In Flower

I believe you sjoerd; you did a lot of planting there.

Yes the Acer is the right size and I doubt in the back garden it would not have been so colourful. On the other hand It would be great to wake up seeing that red..:smt026
    Thanks Carolyn and EJ!

Wow busy bee is Hummer, those plants are amazing.

Sjoerd; I got this mix for slugs off a bl;oke in America, I have not tried it.
    Take into account what plants will be ok with the mix.

K

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Bed # 5 is getting turned to accept Aunt Esthers (yellow) cherry tomato and the first third of Astronomy-Domini sweet corn.

I'm only a year behind my time.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

today isn't done... I watered the greenhouse and other plants, worked on bees for several hours and I am planting up zucchinis right now. I just needed a 5 min break and to grab a bucket of water to transplant with... now I am back off to the garden. until dark.

hummerbum and Philip Nulty like this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yesterday I planted our Bush Green and Yellow beans, 2 types of Kale, Purple Potatoes, 2 Early Girl tomatoes, 1 Orange Cherry Tomato-Sungold. For the past 2 years we have gotten lots of free's of this very sweet tomato. Last year they over took my middle garden bed. This year I will have to pull out the ones I do not want. :( I hate killing those little guys.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

What industrious folk we gardeners are!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ah yes that is for sure. I love growing my own eatables. :D

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

So far we've watched 2" of rain fall in the past 90 minutes. Enough already!
    We grow Sungolds too, Tooty. They are my favorite for bruschetta, and although they self-seed all over, I keep the plants and either give them away or feed the extras to the hens as treats.

11. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

So, today, hoe'd out the tomato's and peppers...planted some more peppers...planted a 40' row of beans...weeded aparagus...cut an acre of lawn...came in and ate some dead cow. Back at it in a few to plant cuke's and some eggplant.

carolyn likes this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Watered watered watered! had a farmers market and watered some more. Back at it again tomorrow. in the mid to upper 80-'s here. snow and cold for the last two weekends and mid July temps this week.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have done too much to enter here on this thread, so I shall make a couple of postings on another forum on here. We have been working until late and coming home, bathing, eating ...watching Chelsea and hitting the hay thereafter. It's a rainy day here today and so we are just taking a day off.

What about that poor Carolyn in all that heat --Whew! We are waiting for such heat to arrive here still.

BTW Carolyn---how did that first market day go? Are you able to sell quite a few hanging baskets at home?

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Picked more squash. I just may have planted a few too many;)! And the first cherry tomatoes! It's still a bog out there and I don't know what is lurking, cucumbers I hope.
    I also did the morning cleaning of the chick nursery. They are getting wing feathers, which means they soon will try to get out of the nursery and hide under the bed or run amok in the guest bedroom. The nursery has a lid, but I transfer the chicklets to a holding box while I clean. I may need a much bigger box . . . .

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG: I like your lurking cucumbers! And the chickies threatening to run amok in the guest bedroom. You have a happening place there!

We have been busy in the vegie garden. I suppose though it is a bit boring compared to your lurking cukes & amok chicks. My daughter & I planted the tomatoes today. We had 6 transplants to go in. We planted 3 the usual way & 3 the way Sjoerd suggests. We shall see how they do!

We have seedlings coming up: carrots, Good King Henry, 2 kinds of beets, rainbow swiss chard, and kale. Our asparagus is doing well. We now have 24 of the 25 2-year-old crowns up! Tomorrow I hope to get in the squash, melon and cuke, marigold, basil, fennel, maybe brussel sprout transplants. Ah me. I'll never get all that done.

Sjoerd likes this.