What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG, what is a water harvesting cube?

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

A water harvesting cube is a fiberglass cube surrounded by an aluminum cage, with a lever at the bottom that lets water escape (think of a kitchen faucet handle). We put one under a gutter downspout with holes drilled (to let overflow escape) and harvest rain water off our roof. We have two on the barn and one on the garage. Some folks have fancy arrangements to let a hose be attached. We just stick to the "fill the bucket and carry" method. We use the rainwater for the chickens as well as watering the gardens.
    The cube needs to be placed on a relatively stable platform--we use concrete blocks and 4"x4"s. If we had it to do again, we'd just pour cement pads because our soil shifts.
    The cubes can be gotten free/almost free from car wash places, metal fabricators, and farm suppliers. Just flush them thoroughly by running water through them until the water runs clear, and you have a rainwater harvester!

Water Collection 1.jpg

Growingpains likes this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There is a guy who shows up at a convenience store not far from us who sells them when he gets them....last year he was just never there when I had the money and this year he hasn't been there at all :(

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

There is something that farmers use that comes in these cubes. If you post a "wanted" sign at the local feed store, and offer to pick it up or pay to have it delivered, you might get one. Just ask what it contained . . . .

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oyvey... are you all as hot as it is here? golly gee whiz... 93 today and miserable. We did 3 farmers markets today and that was almost it. It is just too hot to do much else. I need to pick cukes and it is sweltering out there.

Growingpains likes this.
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Watering. Standing with the hose on the roots and watering watering watering. And the forecast is for the next week to be sunny (not that I really mind) but it takes a toll on the garden.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Carolyn, 93 would feel like a day in the mountains, we have been hovering around 100 for weeks and finally hit 100 yesterday and supposed to have today but I haven't heard.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes, this heat & drought are really tough this year. I think we are all wilting.

MG I was interested in your description & photo of a water cube. Thanks for that. Good use of the rain water from the root. We have no such things in the NE. Drought here is usually rare. I have been using Sjoerd's method of 'planting' a 2 liter bottle by the root ball of plants & pouring the water in it....less run off, better delivery of water. I am lugging water too at the community garden from the well. My garden looks like a cross between a garden & a plastics recycling facility.

Sjoerd and Growingpains like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Cayu--Your harvest looks nice...in fact it looks delicious. You must be pretty proud of yourself. Swiss chard is something that I use in stir-fry's or just by itself on the plate as the veggie. In fact, you could say that I use it as I would spinach.
    Your idea to use it as a dip is intriguing. I wonder how that tasted.\p.s. The beetroots look perfect. I do LURVE a good beetroot.

Growingpains likes this.
  10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, we got our rain barrels from a car wash. 55 gallon, white plastic, very durable. We have a faucet near the bottom from which we either fill huge jugs or attach a hose. Rainfall hasn't been as plentiful this season, but thankfully, still enough to keep plants alive.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

More harvesting. Plums and beetroot. Processing the beetroot tonight and eating the plums. Planted some flowers this evening and gave water to the greenhouse, sweetcorn and pruned Philadelphus. Tomorrow I shall be mowing the paths.

Growingpains likes this.
  12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, do you eat the beet tops? I use them the same as other greens all summer and then pull the beets in the Fall.

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya GP--No, I have never eaten them. I did know that they were edible, just have never tried them. I like how you do it--eating the foliage during the summer and then harvesting the tuber in the fall. That's good thinking.

Growingpains likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was pouring with rain today, so the only thing i did was to go and collect veg for the Food Bank on our weekly thursday pick-up. There weren't many folks present to ask, but some folks had left stuff for us on our lottie and we had quite a bit of our own extra veg as well. All-in-all it was a good day for the Food Bank. Hopefully next thursday it will be dry.

Growingpains likes this.
  15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Not as dry as here, I hope. But then, too wet isn't good either.

The smallest Beet leaves might be good in a salad.
    I pick the medium to large size and saute or simmer them with onion and garlic.

Sjoerd likes this.