What is your worst weed ???

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by koszta kid, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Annette

Annette Seedling

creeping charlie, here as well.....ugh!!!!!!!

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I almost forgot and I sure hope I don't see any this year.... MILE A MINUTE weed. HORRORS!!!!!

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

koszta- bad thing about bindweed, the more you pull the more it grows. The roots are unbelievably long and deep. It is a vine that twines around and in plants.
    In my commercial setting, I treat it with a systemic that you spray on the living plant and wait while it gets into the stem and roots to kill it. It takes a few applications.
    I am not advocating chems for you though. Sometimes if you remain persistent you can keep it in check.

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I do spray on Farmer side of my fence. We have area we mow. Few years ago they had their field sprayed.Young guy doing it.Did it when way too high of winds.Cost company some $$$$. Farmer's wife so mad at them. I keep weeds from getting in their Corn. Clogs up combine.Even put very heavy gloves on and PAINTED the weeds with foam paint brush. Had Muddy knees on jeans pulling MR C.

Advertisement
  5. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Gosh. Bindweeeeeed! Indeed, roots go so deep that I imagine they come up on the other side of the globe in China as bamboo :)

And there's another one I hate. Small, could pass for a houseplant. Oxalis stricta and the worse kind Oxalis corniculata.

Got them probably from some pots and now it's everywhere.

6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I have learned the hard way. If someone gives you a plant. Wash all the soil off then plant.I think is the way I got the vine weed. Went to plant sale for park. Never had it before. :(

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

K. Kid, washing off all the extra soil is EXCELLENT advice. I agree.

8. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

A weed I don't even know the name of, but it's soooo invasive. Looks more like a pond weed than a lawn weed. Comes up in little bunches of narrow, strappy spikes, all over the lawn. I have weed & feed put on the lawn 4 times a year & I still get it....aarrrrghhhhhh!

9. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Creeping Charlie's plans for total garden domination have been thwarted for the time being. I'm finding Mulberry seedlings amongst established perennial beds, these are pulled with pliers as my hands don't have the strength they once did, devilishly tenacious roots. Wild violets, even the most microscopic bit of fleshy root left behind, becomes a new plant. Bermuda grass, called it wiregrass as a kid on the farm, roots are tough as wire.

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Another one is stinging nettles - And bad when the dogs run through it. And rub against you. Itch like crazy. Just got done pulling some in flower bed.But bee keeper told me-honey bees need it. If it was all killed-they would die also.So can grow in the back of our 2 acres-just not in flower beds.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Today...I see canada thistles and of course more mugwort, then there is the dock growing like crazy where the last strawberry bed was :rolleyes: and garlic smelling weed of some horribly invasive species (which I can't remember the name of right this moment, just garlic something)...Quack grass....ALL in the same area. AAAGGGHHHHHH!!!! I think tomorrow I will spray it with a vinegar based homemade herbicide brew.

12. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

OMG Carolyn,Get after the Canadian Thistles.They are really tenacious. Just a tiny bit of root makes new plant.I don't have any in garden areas. Used to have them in pasture areas.Ha ha,Creeping Charlie,or marathon Charlie as my friend calls it,will crowd out the Canadian Ts.That garlic onion is a bad one,too. They have groups of people get together to pull it out of some wooded areas.Henbit is awful this year. It must be a relative of Charlie.It is a fast seeder. I'm trying to yank it before the seeds blow everywhere.I think our worst is Quack Grass.I swear it will find a way through concrete.
    Doris

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I think the flash flooding (helps) bring some weeds in.Last 2 years. And us feeding the many birds they (plant ) seeds from other places. Getting a lot of wild chives.Spraying gravel driveway with vinegar. Got so many ground feeder birds-didn't want to hurt them.

14. CatieBug

CatieBug New Seed

Crabgrass :twisted:

15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Hey you all. Some of those pesky weeds make a great salad. ;) I do hate Bind Weed though, and it is so hard to get rid of. One weed I like to put in my salad is Chickweed. It is a little power house of goodness. ;)