What's looking good in August 2024

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Logan, Aug 1, 2024.

1. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Thanks @Logan . Your hanging baskets looks good too.:like:. I also have a love of Fuchsias .

I passed by a house the other day with a lovely big hardy one in the front garden, all our hardy ones are the same sort, and this one was so pretty in a delicate pale pinky mauve shade . So I asked if I could take some cuttings and was gladly given permission to do so. Eagerly waiting now for signs of roots.:D.:fingerscrossed:

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oreti— wonderful dahlia collection. Several open-faced ones. I like those best. So many beautiful ones. I saw other smaller plants mixed in that I really find quite impressive.

Pacnorwest, Logan and Oreti like this.
  3. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Thanks so much @Sjoerd . Yes most definitely, I always try to make sure to grow plenty of ' open blooms' for all the pollinators to enjoy. We need them :).

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  4. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

OK found the info on the pineapple one....

Screenshot_20240807-235823.png

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks @Oreti about my fuchsias, i find that rooting then in water works well, but don't let the roots grow too much before potting them up, then keep them moist for a while.

Sjoerd and Oreti like this.
  6. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Thanks @Logan, that's also the way I do all mine too.:):like:

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's good and you are welcome :)

Oreti and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Under the kitchen window
    IMG_20240808_084156_(864_x_486_pixel).jpg

Daniel W, Pacnorwest, Oreti and 2 others like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wouldja look at all them Fuchsias !
    So nice Loggie. When I went through my Fuchsia thing, I was living in a flat facing the water. The balcony was lined with them…all colours and sizes. Unfortunately birds would land on them and break off branches.

Of course I would take the broken branch in and plop it into a jar with water, remove all the flowers and buds and wait for the roots. In the end I had too many plants, naturally so I just started removing the flowers a bd lower leaves and shoved the bare stem into the soil at the base of the potted plant. It was a simple technique but worked a treat.

Oreti, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Aglais urticae
    IMG_4378.jpeg

A weed
    IMG_4379.jpeg

A small Crocosmia sort
    IMG_4303.jpeg

Oreti, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks Sjoerd, i used to have different colours of them but decided to keep to one that does well for me. I try to over winter them but most of the time they wouldn't make it, so i just take cuttings.

Your pics look good, what is the name of that weed?

Oreti, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie, it is called Phytolacca americana. Westerse karmozijnbes in Dutch. I did not think you would know that, so I used the Latin name.

Logan, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Ok oh yes Thomas and Morgan of course. I grew them and really liked their ability to stand among the crowd and yell here I am… they were always the attention brats of the garden. I still have a couple as dried they last for a long time.
    Thank you for remembering to check on the name . They are a favorite for sure. :setf_016:

I save a lot of different types of florals that dry well and still hold their color and shape for various floral designs .
    For instance cephalophora pineapples is very similar to the yellow dried flower that I collect for seasonal arrangements, floral competitions .
    Collection saved here tall stems 18 - 24” long yellow Pompom flower heads dried and hold their shape/color are saved in a tall vase.
    IMG_2718.jpeg

Movin on to Abstract floral design using dried pompoms .
    Below the pompoms are in an abstract blended-color image , abstract painted floral design . Everything is plant material in the image and is blended in with the background. This arrangement is designed to fit the title of the entries this category in the floral show. ie: Division - ‘Camouflaged’ and Title - “Quiet Noise”.

Types of plant material used - ball pompoms , cattail was used, and sectioned pieces of bamboo . Shaping and drying and application with glue holding the whole piece together as one single unit. These arrangements must stand alone on their own, to blend in with their background - ‘Camouflaged’.

IMG_2719.jpeg

Logan, Oreti and Daniel W like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

While I was into posting the above explanation of pompom abstract floral designs. I don’t know how I got there or why I sent such a long message about dried plant materials. :chuckle: Talk about side tracked… Logan and Sjoerd snuck in and posted some really fantastic pics.

@Logan lovely fuchias so many in a happy place for sure. You have quit a nice arrangement of front entry plants welcoming your friends and neighbors.

@Sjoerd wow what an absolute trophy butterfly pic. We have something similar the tortoiseshell butterfly without the blue. Wow the blue trim on the wings really makes that type of butterfly a special beauty. You have really fancy weeds over there. :headbang: Pretty colors and a show stopper.

Logan and Oreti like this.
  15. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That's pokeweed in the US. The berries were used as a dye, a long time ago. I think, the root, too. It is poisonous to humans and animals. It can be fatal. With a lot of processing, leaves can go into salad. Im not familiar with how to detoxify them.

Pokeweed grows in my yard. It's a very fast grower and difficult to eradicate,

Logan, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.