What's looking good in August 2024

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Logan, Aug 1, 2024.

1. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Oh @Pacnorwest you're way to kind ,I personally feel that it's well below par compared to yours and many others on the forum. You can tell by looking at all the beautiful pics on here that talent, planning, hard work and perseverance pays off.
    If ours turns out well it's only down to hard work( mainly maintenance) and pure......luck :fingerscrossed::D

But nevertheless I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your lovely comments.....your a very precious spirit lifter.:smt060x

Your garden is fabulous , your front sitting area is so welcoming and inviting....I can see you and I having a cup of tea/ coffee out there while I sneakily ask you a million questions on all your gardening know how.
    And the stepping stone just begs you to go exploring!!

2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Oreti Alrighty now that we have established a mutual admiration society …I thank you for sharing your beautiful garden. You have an established and mature garden which started with knowing where to plant the bones of the garden- trees , shrubs combining hard scapes and accents to die for. Your garden is a formal garden , well designed , and maintained traditionally for pruned hedges, high / low growth and good long lasting trees as a back drop while setting the stage for the summer flowering season. Winter thru autumn is a 4 season garden dripping with class, color, variety and personality .

My garden is mature and many plants have overstayed their welcome . Informal mess with small vignettes. Many shrubs and trees that hold the entire garden together all 4 seasons too. Simply put you are welcome any time to join me in that special sitting area to sip a few margaritas and converse over the many joys of gardening. I bet you have some good stories to share. :smt082

Sjoerd, Logan and Oreti like this.
  3. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Thank you @Sjoerd , yes the Asclepias is still only a baby. I grew it from seed that I sowed 3 years ago. From the seeds I only had one viable seedling. I just cut it back before the Winter sets in and up it pops again slightly bigger. I'm aiming at harvesting some seeds this year.:fingerscrossed: I was kindly given the seeds from a member on another forum whose daughter had sent to her from Canada. So it's certainly travelled a few miles.:D

Daniel W, Sjoerd, Logan and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chapeau for getting that from seed. I have tried it a few times but still have not been lucky enough to get germination. An elderly gardener told me that I needed to put the seeds in the fridge for a week or two before planting them. I have one plant which my old bee mentor gave me. It comes up but never blooms. He has passed away now, so no second chances. Anyway, I can enjoy seeing yours. Well done.

Logan, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Clerodendrum fruit common name Harlequin Glorybower.
    IMG_2907.jpeg

Honey bee on blackberry flower
    IMG_2904.jpeg

Hummer glowing in the sun light.
    IMG_2902.jpeg

Daniel W, Logan, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  6. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Yes @Sjoerd that's what I did kept them in the fridge ,then sowed them and left them outside to face the Winter elements ( in a sheltered spot).

Logan, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice looking plants, Pac. The hummer pic is brilliant.

Logan, Oreti, Daniel W and 1 other person like this.
  8. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oreti—Plums, grapes and pears…its the Garden of Eden.

Logan, Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  10. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

I wish @Sjoerd , but thank you.

For some weird reason both of our Apple trees are protesting about something as we haven't got one single apple this year. This happened a few years ago too but both were fine the following year. They are just being moody and having a sulk I think.:snicker:

We also grow Strawberries and Blueberries too. We have a Cherry tree but the birds get to the Cherries before we do. We did have a thornless Blackberry but decided to get rid of it as we realised we had planted it in the wrong place and it got it the way of things, having said that I have a feeling a piece of it escaped the compost bin and has re- rooted itself nearby.
    Fortunately we have Blackberries growing all the way up our lane on both sides so we are still able to enjoy them .:D

Logan, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oreti— one of my apple trees does that regularly.
    BTW— what sort pears are those?

Oreti, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

That is a very good question @Sjoerd !!:snicker: Conference comes to mind but that doesn't mean that's what they actually are!!:chuckle:;)

Logan, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oreti— Hahaha… you are a funny girl, Oreti. Oké then. I was just curious.
    I was thinking about the apple trees, and plum trees that I have had. Actually some of them regularly skipped a year and produced every other year. I have one sort that produces every year, come rain or come shine.

One of my apple trees so often misses a year that I am thinking of replacing it.

Logan, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

IMG_4423.jpeg
    Antirrhinum

IMG_4416.jpeg

Herfstaster

Logan, Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  15. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Lovely pics @Sjoerd , I particularly love the delicate shading of the Antirrhinum

Sjoerd, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.