What's looking good in July 2024

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Logan, Jul 1, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You know Pac— you could have them again, I believe but you would have to prune them according to the Type System pruning of Clematis sorts. For the terniflora the normal time is mid march. You prune them back very hard, especially the first few years…just a few fingers above the soil level. You must then prune it every year without fail or exception…every year except the first year, because it must establish itself.

if you do this, it can never get away from you. Further, if you plant it at the base of an arch or pergola you can easily keep an eye on it…but still you are not excused from the timely pruning.

We can talk if you ever decide to give it a second chance.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel— your container collection/garden looks very nice. The zinnias, cosmea and dahlias look very pleasing to the eye.

Pacnorwest, Daniel W and Logan like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The small and dainty Allium senescens
    IMG_4323.jpeg

…and the vey tall Rudbeckia nitida showered with a Clematis on the arch.
    IMG_4314.jpeg

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Those should win photos of the year. Almost glowing.

Logan, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel— Mate, that is such a kind thing to say. especially coming from a bloke with so many beauties himself. Thank you so much.

Daniel W, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I totally agree.. very nice pics.

Sjoerd, Daniel W and Logan like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Alrighty let’s talk. I love Garden Talk… ….
    Thanx for your support and sharing techniques and last ditch efforts to save my clematis . You’re absolutely right.

In my case the C.vine was only 2 years growth on a huge 4 legged arch growing nilly nelly up thru the cross sections of the arch. Since it does not go dormant during our winters it was a lot of pruning every year and untangling . I have many other clematis vines that have better growing manners. Should have nixed the wisteria’s too on a pergola, but didn’t. I pay for it every year climbing up on the roof and ladders. And far too many other vines I had to send packing.

I ran out of space for the water tanks to water the garden. It takes over night to refill the water tanks from the ground well. Of course any solid gardener would then go vertical to share soaker hoses with garden plants in the same vicinity. I have no help it’s just little ole me and I’m not gettin any younger. Been down sizing the past few years.

Some vines if you want them are escapees and can even get thru the roof inside the house from the pergola. So true happed in my living room. Someone just might stalk you as they root their way into your life. Do you really want to leave me? But in a vines wandering tendencies, you can always be a runner, rise above life's escapees, and go on living quite a nice vine life. It Happens.

Logan likes this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd nice combo of colours.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Knautia
    IMG_20240731_115106_(864_x_1536_pixel).jpg Californian poppies
    IMG_20240731_115128_(864_x_1536_pixel).jpg

Pacnorwest likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ta Loggie.
    Your plants are looking good still. My Knautia is beginning to wain now and it is producing smaller blooms. It is how I know that Fall is waiting in the wings…that and the emergence of the terniflora’s first blooms, albeit a wee bit early for them this year.
    BTW— having that little honeybee pose for you was a subtile but nice touch.

Pac— you have quite a history with climbers don’t you. I guess that that is because you have such a generous property and therefore roooooooooooom for all manner of varieties. The only downside to climbers is that they do need attention.

Luckily I have a small space in which I carry out my gardening hobby, otherwise I would have oodles of climbers as well. As it is I have far fewer than you, but they bloom at different times of the season.

I prune mine fairly rigorously, except for the Wisteria for which I have expansionary plans. I just do little clipping bits from time to time.

As I have said, I do serious pruning in the late fall so that the wind storms that come at that time do not blow my arches and pergola over, using their foliage as ship sails to catch the wind.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  11. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Be careful. Pac.

After a certain point in life, I decided that climbing on roofs and ladders is no longer the best choice for me. Over the years I did repairs, installed two sun tunnels, installed the vent for a kitchen range hood, and did fruit harvesting. Independence and being proud are great, but I decided that knowing when to take better care is also something to respect in myself.

Then, of course, the Star-Link needed to go up there too. I did it, but with a lot of caution and a ladder-holding helper. (And a lot of unspoken complaining)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    Pacnorwest, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks Sjoerd, i thought that you would like the Bee doing a pose for you. Got a lot of bees at the moment.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Logan you have a huge variety of flowers. That’s the whole point when planting , the expectations of all the summer enchanting variety of blooms that brings many plants to its full potential. . Beautiful to see you sharing your garden especially now. :)

@Sjoerd thank you for the support and encouragement. You seem to have a lot of unique tips for gardening. I appreciate the enthusiasm you share .
    Oh yes indeed, I do most definitely agree with you that fall is the perfect time for trimming climbers and trees. Preparing them to be sail worthy during the winds and storms of winters.

@Daniel thank you. I try to be very careful when up on the roof. Most of it is flat and thank goodness not slanted. It’s always a bit of a safety issue when climbing up on ladders. I always carry my iPad, water & snack up with me (back pac) ,for safety purposes knowing if I run into trouble I can email someone and have a lil picnic while waiting for rescue.

A few years ago the wind came up from no where & blew a heavy double ladder down. Nothing like it , trapped and stuck up on the roof. No water, food ….waiting for someone to come. I finally got creative used the rope and bucket I brought up with me to clean the roof scuppers out and managed to lift the ladder and freed myself back down to the earth.

I bet we all have some kind of garden , maintenance story to tell , humorous, scary, interaction with garden critters and much more.

Daniel W, Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks @Pacnorwest you had a narrow escape with your ladder.

Just creating the august thread.

Pacnorwest likes this.