What's looking good in June 2024

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Logan, Jun 1, 2024.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Here is one of the "disposable" Valentine's day miniature roses that I repotted and gave TLC to. I'm pretty happy with it.

IMG_8474.jpeg

Here's another, also a Valentines Day miniature rose. There were five plants in a cluster. This one is in a pot by itself.

IMG_8488.jpeg

This container contains the other four.

IMG_8485.jpeg

Once growing in better conditions, this one seems to have outgrown the "miniature" size and is just a "small" rose bush. It thrives so far with container growing.

Nate77, Sjoerd, S-H and 4 others like this.
  2. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I've been curious about this Daniel...you separate the roses in the wee miniature pot? And then how big is the pot that you put them in? would you move them indoors in the fall?

My rose pot on the deck houses valentine's roses every summer and they always grow full size with lots of blossoms. I never thought of separating them. :)

Sjoerd, Oreti and Jewell like this.
  3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel Beautiful mini roses .
    I planted 6 mini ground cover rose plants last fall. And as usual the gophers ate the roots off of 4 .
    The 2 left are blooming beautifully. I’m doing my best to keep the gophers out. They come in form the forest next door cross the pastures right to the garden. How in the heck do they know new plants were planted. I know they have lookout mounds spread thruout the area and radio thru intelligence networks were to attack next.
    In the meantime I have a new smart system AI which has thwarted new attacks for months. :chuckle:

Here’s proof they didn’t get them all….:rofl:
    Ground cover ‘Happy Trails’
    IMG_1025.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024 at 7:30 PM
    Frank, Daniel W, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    IMG_9091.jpeg

Nate77, Pacnorwest, Frank and 3 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Pacnorwest, Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Beautiful corner of your gardens, Jewell.

Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Mel I'm still learning what they need. It sounds like you have great success with yours.

In my hands, they dry out too fast in their original soil, which isn't really soil. Here they are sold in a peat mix. It dries out in a day. Then they wilt and the leaves turn crispy. So I remove the original soil. I take them out of the pot and swirl them around in a bucket of water to remove most of the peat mix.

IMG_2292.jpeg

Then I plant them in a good potting soil that always works for me. The one I use here is called "Black Magic". I have some as individual plants and some I plant in group pots but further apart so they have more room. Both ways work fine. I also prune them back to lower nodes on the plants, hoping that encourages lower branching.

I did one recently that lost more leaves after I did that. I think it was the hotter weather plus they didn't have many roots. However, it's rebounding now with lots of new growth. In cool weather the others didn't miss a beat.

Mini roses are new to me. I haven't overwintered any yet. I read they are hardy outdoors. I will experiment. My concern indoors is like what happened with peppers, aphids and whitefly. I might compromise on my organic preference and give systemic insecticide although I don't like chemicals.

As for size of group pot, so far I have a couple of them in pots about a foot diameter and a foot deep. They seem pretty diverse in vigor so it varies. One group are in a pot about six inches diameter. I think this pot is in the foot diameter range.

IMG_8510.jpeg

IMG_8508.jpeg

They are a lot of fun for me and the cost is much less than most roses - on sale after a holiday (for me that's important) about $3 or $4 but one was $2) whereas mail order roses can be $40 or more with shipping (looking at you David Austin) on sale.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 3:27 PM
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

9. Jewell

@Daniel W I too have discount miniature roses I potted up that have potted up and they have grown up. I am not really a rose person but they are fun to play with. Because I don’t like weeding around their weak thorny stems they live in pots. Am afraid they will probably go on the street as free plants later this year. IMG_9140.jpeg

A few blooms. First a potted lily that needs to get in the ground. It is taller than me and keeps tipping the pot in the wind. IMG_9147.jpeg
    IMG_9148.jpeg IMG_9142.jpeg

Yes, David Austin roses are pricey, but from my experience the fragrance, beauty and longevity are well worth it.
    I have a rose well over a 100 years old in my yard (not an Austin, it is only 40) so I plant for me in hopes that someone in the future will also enjoy the plant.
    IMG_9149.jpeg

‘wild shasta daisies. Pretty weeds I’ve let do their thing
    IMG_9139.jpeg

‘Am pleased with these capendella, bell flowers, that were here. Plan on moving these to other areas as beds are created.
    IMG_9137.jpeg

‘The rest of the photos are just random from different areas and I thought looked nice today.
    IMG_9135.jpeg IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

IMG_9144.jpeg

IMG_9133.jpeg

IMG_9145.jpeg

Nate77, Frank, Sjoerd and 4 others like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewell you have a lot of really cool plants, some I haven’t seen in a long time. Great combos and I really enjoyed this tour of your garden. Fantastic color, texture , height variations along with beautiful foliage and color. Your skills reconciles art and nature, hard work and dedication. A lush garden and lucky to see it all from the comfort of my home. Thank you ….You got skills. :sete_005:

Sjoerd, Oreti, Jewell and 1 other person like this.
  11. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

What a remarkable garden, @Jewell!
    I can also see there, the foliage contrasts give s sense of movement from one area to another. Truly poetic!

12. Jewell

@Pacnorwest and @Daniel W you two make me blush. Too many compliments will go to my head. I have had the luxury of transplanting mature plants from a 40 year old garden that was my love. As I’ve created beds over the last 2 years I’ve also indulged myself with purchasing a few plants. Life is short and I now desire quick results and have less patience. The fun part is yet to come. I don’t know what colors of daylilies and phlox are in the street beds or the colors of asiatic lilies transplanted and planted last spring.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oenothera:
    IMG_4119.jpeg

Stunning fotos, Jewell…just simply stunning.
    You are using your ground so well, with beautiful choices. Chapeau.

Nate77 and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice view of your flowerbed there. I think I also saw some forget-me-not’s in there. The Pasque flowers are gorgeous.

Melody Mc. and Nate77 like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Evening primrose what a surprise…:smt041.to see this bright cheery bloomer. I haven’t seen one in ages since the gophers gobbled them up . A great idea for the night garden.

Sjoerd, Melody Mc. and Nate77 like this.